Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Name the thing i saw ?

ReddHeadsRantings

Name?

Well I've always liked "Tim" for mysterious entities.

Quite mysterious indeed ;)

screenshot-lrg-29.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Think I found the Name !

Almost everything matches-its the closest I've seen..."matlog".

Well I'm very happy to put a name to it after decades of wondering & looking.

https://books.google...monster&f=false

From the Nootka or Nuuchahnulth (Native American tribe). "Matlog" aka possibly "Matlox"

I can find its reference so far in three current pro-footer/etc books where it is offered as another alleged Native American Bigfoot candidate.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Well, anyone who's too lazy to copy and paste their description in the thread they're asking for it to be identified Simply doesn't deserve the consideration of an answer.

Besides, for all we know you were drunk or high or simply dreamed it.

• Like 1

https://books.google...monster&f=false

From the Nootka or Nuuchahnulth (Native American tribe). "Matlog" aka possibly "Matlox"

I can find its reference so far in three current pro-footer/etc books where it is offered as another alleged Native American Bigfoot candidate.

I have never heard of this legend before, which is interesting since I live in BC, where the Nuuchanulth and Kwakwakawakw tribes are from who own the legend.

Regardless, unless OP is based in the backwoods of my province, I seriously doubt that he saw a Matlog. I doubt that Matlog even exists, for that matter.

I have never heard of this legend before, which is interesting since I live in BC, where the Nuuchanulth and Kwakwakawakw tribes are from who own the legend.

Regardless, unless OP is based in the backwoods of my province, I seriously doubt that he saw a Matlog. I doubt that Matlog even exists, for that matter.

I am not supporting the OP's encounter or the Native American myth or that this Native myth relates to a modern day bigfoot.

I found the Matlox in yet another footer book, and all so far come from the same single reference- a book written by the Spaniard Jose Mariano Mozino, a naturalist, from a voyage he took from Mexico to the coast of what is now BC in 1792: Noticias de Nutka

I am not supporting the OP's encounter or the Native American myth or that this Native myth relates to a modern day bigfoot.

I found the Matlox in yet another footer book, and all so far come from the same single reference- a book written by the Spaniard Jose Mariano Mozino, a naturalist, from a voyage he took from Mexico to the coast of what is now BC in 1792: Noticias de Nutka

Yes, sorry, I was not trying to imply that you supported the reality of the Matlog. My second paragraph was aimed at the thread at large, not you specifically.

• Like 1

Yes, sorry, I was not trying to imply that you supported the reality of the Matlog. My second paragraph was aimed at the thread at large, not you specifically.

No problem, I thought you might want to know the only source given in all the references I've found so far.

I wonder if differing cultures and language might have been an issue with the retelling in Mozino's book of this alleged myth in the late 1700's.

Those who like to reference the book remember it as the author retold it, but maybe the NA wouldn't?

No problem, I thought you might want to know the only source given in all the references I've found so far.

I wonder if differing cultures and language might have been an issue with the retelling in Mozino's book of this alleged myth in the late 1700's.

Those who like to reference the book remember it as the author retold it, but maybe the NA wouldn't?

They probably wouldn't. The Nuuchaanulth, in my experience, are very attached to their folklore. Their perceptions of things are always held to a high standard and are recited by as much rote as possible. While most of the ones I have met do not necessarily believe their legends, they maintain them as much as they can.

That being said, most of the natives I have met from BC staunchly believe in the Sasquatch.

That being said, most of the natives I have met from BC staunchly believe in the Sasquatch.

Could you describe the Sasquatch they believe in --physically and otherwise?

Have you heard it is considered good luck to encounter them and that they should be left alone when encountered?

Could you describe the Sasquatch they believe in --physically and otherwise?

Have you heard it is considered good luck to encounter them and that they should be left alone when encountered?

Well I am not native so I can only say what I have heard. Basically Sasquatch to them is a spirit that you really shouldn't mess with. It hangs around our world and is only seen when it wants to be seen, but it is usually a warning of some kind. Not necessarily a warning of harm, but a warning that something is coming, or that something is about to happen.

Physically, they say it looks the same as contemporary Sasquatch folklore would suggest it looks like. None of this glowing eyes or scary fangs nonsense, though. As such, I am unsure as to how relevant it is to OP's beast.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 1

There is an Algonquian myth which describes something similar called "Wendigo"... appearing as a starved, emaciated Bigfoot-like creature:

http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Wendigo_%28creature%29

"Wendigos are generally rumored to be gigantic spirits, over fifteen feet tall, lanky and with glowing eyes, long yellowed fangs, terrible claws and overly long tongues. Sometimes they are said to have a sallow, yellowish skin; other times they are described as being matted with hair."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

"... the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave... gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption."

Wendigo was also said to be the harbinger of a particularly harsh winter... oddly enough Jan of 1985 brought record lows to much of the US in what was called "The Freeze of the Century":

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_1985_cold_wave

Edited by Alaric

Irrelevant question, but I need to know: How do you pronounce Kwakwakawakw?

• Like 1

Written properly it is Kwakwaka'wakw. The linguistic notation is [ˈkʷa.kʷə.kʲə.ʔwakʷ]. I have heard it be pronounced "quack-wek-a-waka" by English-speakers (myself included), but that's not the way a native speaker of Kwak'wala would pronounce it. I've never spoken at length with a native speaker of it (there are only a few hundred left, and they mostly live on the north island, wherein I live in the south), so I'm not certain how it would be pronounced properly.

• Like 1

Best way you can, but if you want my opinion I'd pronounce it "Bob". It's just easier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What percentage of people do you think just make up their claims?

Many, for instance, I find it really, really hard to take this claim seriously. Simply because of the memory loss of the others involved and the fact that what she/he is describing from being entranced is like a pheromone response but nothing in nature has pheromones strong enough to memorize individuals or overcome freewill. Its different for animals and bugs with more primitive thinking but its just not possible to rob people of their ability respond or react. Being frozen in place due to fear or panic is one thing, but being memorized by a objective scent. Just, yeah... I am sure there are things yet to be discovered but this critter isn't one of them.

If it was anything, it sounds like a Wendigo.

But Black Teeth?

That sounds like its intentionally trying to be a scary story, I mean... do you know of one species on the planet with black bones? (or teeth).

But Black Teeth?

That sounds like its intentionally trying to be a scary story, I mean... do you know of one species on the planet with black bones? (or teeth).

This is obviously the dried blood of its pheromone victims. It stains the teeth and claws!! :)

• Like 1

This is obviously the dried blood of its pheromone victims. It stains the teeth and claws!! :)

No way man, the blood squirts from the necks of its victims like fountains. Its got no time to dry.

• Like 1