Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New robot can run faster than Usain Bolt

UM-Bot

An amazing new bipedal robot from South Korea is able to run at a top speed of 28.58mph.

Known as the Raptor, the device was put together at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. Its moniker is based on how it walks and balances itself in much the same way as its prehistoric namesake.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267275/new-robot-can-run-faster-than-usain-bolt

• Like 1

Imagine hundreds of these super-fast evil robots let loose in a city chasing us down.

The robot is being supported - at least partially - by the boom connecting to it from the side, so no, it is not "running" as that implies an action free of external support.

• Like 1

It might be faster than Usain Bolt but its got Oscar Pistorius' running shoes. ;)

Despite the unit being 'partially-supported' (buy essential power and data cables rather than a framework) I still found this very impressive, especially compared to some of the dubious articles with attention grabbing headlines floating around the web.

As this technology improves and is coupled with other robot advancements I will ignore all the advantages this can offer mankind and start to enjoy the Robot Football World Cup a bit more (Robocup).

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Imagine hundreds of these super-fast evil robots let loose in a city chasing us down.

Until the batteries run out..

• Like 2

With my arthritis, the robots don't have to be that fast. I guess you can say I'm half-fast now. :innocent:

Edited by paperdyer

Just don't let them in Marathon Runs
  • Like 1

And, the organic cheetah is capable of 95 km/h, is elegance in motion, and has a personality that fostered a relationship with early peoples as a hunting partner. I'll take a purr over a rattle any day.

• Like 2

I'd like to see one on a bicycle.

• Like 1

Interesting. I liked how it kind of hopped or loped as it picked up speed however it would be nice to see how it performed without the support so they can demonstrated that rotor that acts as a "tail" for balance.

Overall I thought it was coo..but then again I like good robotics like Japan's "Asimo" (spelling?) and the like.

Skynet will now have predatory dinosaurs to their roaster of killer machines.