Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Church Group Quotes Hitler on Billboard

DecoNoir

BIRMINGHAM Ala. (Reuters) - A billboard featuring a quote from Adolf Hitler next to pictures of five smiling children was taken down on Tuesday in the city of Auburn, Alabama at the request of the church group that bought it after the sign drew criticism.

http://news.msn.com/us/church-group-removes-alabama-billboard-quoting-hitler?ocid=ansnews11

I was almost tempted to put this in the "Jokes and Humor" section. Just, holy crap, what a hilariously stupid move. Godwin's Law certainly didn't take long to poke its head out.

• Like 2

• Like 1

http://news.msn.com/...?ocid=ansnews11

I was almost tempted to put this in the "Jokes and Humor" section. Just, holy crap, what a hilariously stupid move. Godwin's Law certainly didn't take long to poke its head out.

As I read the article I went from amazed and concerned to confused then sad. This group seems to do a lot of good in a community that needs it most - they just have a stone deaf PR person working for them. A shame.
  • Like 1

I think I understood the point, though the message may have been a bit too subtle to grasp for many or most people. But like I always say, when in doubt, don't quote Hitler.

Edited by PlanB
  • Like 4

This reeks of someone having an agenda with, or within, the church group. There is no possible way in hell (maybe that there is a loophole) to spend money on a billboard that quotes Hitler without some healthy committee discussion or challenge. Somebody was trying to make a point--but what was it, exactly? That no one would notice? That no one would object that a deep South Christian sect would express this thought with Adolf's signature? That forces in today's America are as bad as Hitler's co-opting of the family? That our nation is more fractured than I ever dreamed?

Edited by DeWitz

Well, it is Alabama :gun:

Ever been to Alabama or know someone from the state, OverSword? Because anyone who would intentionally use a Hitler quote would be someone the average citizen of my home state would not care to associate with. Your comment seems to assume the opposite of Alabamians. I think it far more likely that the person who did this did so without much consideration - and they probably were under 30 years of age - my guess.
  • Like 1

Again, I think the idea was to suggest that either you be a positive influence on children or the evil men of the world will. I don't think there was any other nefarious purpose, it was just executed quite clumsily. And designed poorly. I'm a professional graphic designer, and I bet I could make a Hitler billboard look good. (I hope no one takes that out of context).

• Like 1

My first thought was the Westboro Baptist Church was back in full swing.

• Like 2

Again, I think the idea was to suggest that either you be a positive influence on children or the evil men of the world will. I don't think there was any other nefarious purpose, it was just executed quite clumsily. And designed poorly. I'm a professional graphic designer, and I bet I could make a Hitler billboard look good. (I hope no one takes that out of context).

I`m sorry but this statement can only be seen in the context that you have a faulty impression of a guy who is responsible for

approx 60M ppl been killed despite the fact that you are claiming to be able to make a Hitler billboard "look good"

or not.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Hmmmm ,

This is fitting for this story isn't it?

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

I do not need to say who that was......Just found it fitting is all.

• Like 3

Ok.... I was assuming they just quoted without knowing who said it. This, however, is whole new levels of stupid.

I`m sorry but this statement can only be seen in the context that you have a faulty impression of a guy who is responsible for

approx 60M ppl been killed despite the fact that you are claiming to be able to make a Hitler billboard "look good"

or not.

Yes, I know who Hitler was and did. I get the History Channel. But if I offended, I apologize. I was attempting to make light of the current situation and not of any past atrocities.

• Like 1

Yes, I know who Hitler was and did. I get the History Channel. But if I offended, I apologize. I was attempting to make light of the current situation and not of any past atrocities.

John Fogerty, circa 1986: "I know it's true. . .'cause I saw it on TV."