Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rationality of Sex Crimes

Felixconan700

It is a mystery to me whether a sex crime like rape is a rational choice or if its genetic? I recently read "Inside The Criminal Mind" By: Dr. Stanton E. Samenow that sugests sex crimes are a rational choice, I belive the same.

I always read it was more about control then the sexual release, but then again what do I know

• Like 1

I always read it was more about control then the sexual release, but then again what do I know

I have always read the same, that the vast majority of rapes are due to the offender wanting control of the victim. There are of course conflicting theories.

• Like 2

I have also read that, but no one has been able to answer whether they can control this feeling or if it runs in the family, even my professors. I have seen a family with many generations of rapists but it skiped generations.

-mwam007

Edited by mwam007

It may be 'copycat' behaviour rather than genetic. Young members of the family hearing the rapists brag about what they have done .... just the 'culture' of a particular family, "That's the way you keep women in line, show 'em who's boss" etc. .... a way to prove to other male members of the family that you are as much of a man as they are.

There are many ways one could look at this I guess. but to me, I think that people can control themselves and that all criminals have a rational choice whether to do something or not. Any input on my opinion? Or anyone ele have a different outlook?

It can be cultural, as in punishing a female from a lower caste for trying to improve her cultural position by going to school and getting a job. It is not out of desire, but hate that they do it. They are just using their penises to beat her instead of a baseball bat.

I think there are a lot more options than genetics or a simple choice. Probably as many reasons as there are sex crimes.

On the whole, I think people can control themselves, but then why would someone choose to rape someone? There has to be something messing with their "right-from-wrong-receptors," conscience and empathy and ability to reason.

If I remember, "sex crimes" are usually still considered violent crimes because it is an assault, no matter how you slice it. I believe that is a proper interpretation of the act because no matter if it was a forceful attack with the victim fully conscious or a drug-aided crime of opportunity, it is still directly forcing one's own will upon an unconsenting person, either by circumventing their defenses altogether or dominating them - that is an attack or assault.

Given this, the same considerations must be examined that are used for any violent crime, which do indeed include genetic predisposition, and psychopathy often is found to be involved, which is such a huge, complex topic that actually is found in most risk-takers in the everyday world (athletes, politicians, stock investors, etc) that while the worst cases might be exemplified by those in prison, it should be understood that such "genetic drives" may exist in people you would otherwise think "normal" and therefore the idea of the distinction between "genetic" and "choice" reasoning is a fragile point-of-view, because many people in the world are undiagnosed as psychopaths and may go their whole lives without endangering people and may in fact be the fireman or bystander that jumps into a river to save a drowning child.

• Like 4

It's hard to understand the mindset, If you take into account people like Richard Kuklinksi who claims to have 100- 200 murders under his belt, he basically disowned his own brother after he raped and murdered a young girl. it's going to be impossible to put everyone into one box

• Like 3

Rape is a crime of violence, with sex (forced) the weapon. Before one can even attempt to rationalize it one must talk to the victims and hear the other side of the story. And once that's done, it's impossible to rationalize it.

[media=]

[/media]

• Like 3

More than Samenow, I'm sure.

• Like 2

It is a mystery to me whether a sex crime like rape is a rational choice or if its genetic? I recently read "Inside The Criminal Mind" By: Dr. Stanton E. Samenow that sugests sex crimes are a rational choice, I belive the same.

Oh, I agree; I think it's a conscious choice. Btw, that book's been on my reading list for quite a while and I'd forgotten all about it. (I'd read an impressive article from Samenow where he explained that an 'out of character' crime only appears to be out of character. Fascinating stuff.)

If you haven't read it, I recommend the book, The Evil That Men Do, co-written by former FBI profiler, Roy Hazelwood whose focus of study was sexual predators.

Edited by regi

Oh, I agree; I think it's a conscious choice. Btw, that book's been on my reading list for quite a while and I'd forgotten all about it. (I'd read an impressive article from Samenow where he explained that an 'out of character' crime only appears to be out of character. Fascinating stuff.)

If you haven't read it, I recommend the book, The Evil That Men Do, co-written by former FBI profiler, Roy Hazelwood whose focus of study was sexual predators.

Is there a distinction made between conscious and rational?

To rationalize a sex crime you first have to decide that it is somehow rational to subjugate another human being to satisfy your lust and your will. It is about power, no matter how you choose to dress it up. Denying another person their right to self determination by assaulting them physically is about making oneself superior and diminishing the victim in turn.

• Like 3

Is there a distinction made between conscious and rational?

Well, it seems to me that one follows the other so I think the concept of "rationalized" choice is lost on me.

It may be 'copycat' behaviour rather than genetic. Young members of the family hearing the rapists brag about what they have done .... just the 'culture' of a particular family, "That's the way you keep women in line, show 'em who's boss" etc. .... a way to prove to other male members of the family that you are as much of a man as they are.

Both of these generally seem to be the case. I think some aspects of it can be up for debate but I 100% believe it has nothing to do with the desire for sexual release and everything to do with control. For example I cannot tell you how many times I've heard the word rape used in a non-sexual situation during video games or sports when someone wins, scores points, or whatever. It's used as domination.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have replied, it's good to know that people have the same opinion as me on the matter. I agree that a sex crime is a crime of violence. I also enjoyed reading all of the input.

Thanks Again,

mwam007 :sk

• Like 1

The reason for rape is as complicated as the rapist. reguardless of why, it's a horrible sociopathic act. Those without the block to not use their penis do not deserve to have one.

a strong imbalance driving people towards compulsive behavior.......

a desire to possess and show dominance.

revenge for rejection..............

a psychological problem, insenstivity............

just plain inhuman stuff at times................

always a better more saner choice exists.........

even if there could be a genetic predisposition......................

• Like 1

explain Ed Gein then, he was mentally insane wasn't he? See in Ted Bundies case I do believe it was a choice he made, by the influences of his world. It might seem odd but I don't believe he was a psychopath at all.

Edited by ReaperS_ParadoX

Perhaps it is more a primal behavior, similar to other animals, and these individuals act on the impulse when a catalyst is added, such as drugs, alcohol, or certain opportunities ? Why do some kill ? Because they were angry, and acted on impulse.

• Like 1

There is nothing rational about sex crimes at all. I think these people are worse than murderers and should face death just the same. But no they eventually get out and eventually do it all over again.

Edited by Mr. ET
  • Like 1

A 20 year federal SOCOM study released in 1995 indicates that sex offenders have a 5.3 recidivism rate over a two year period declining, every year after that to 0% after 10 years. The only crime with a lower recidivism rate is murder.

Edited by Forever Cursed

A 20 year federal SOCOM study released in 1995 indicates that sex offenders have a 5.3 recidivism rate over a two year period declining, every year after that to 0% after 10 years. The only crime with a lower recidivism rate is murder.

So the study is that sex offenders are more likely to do things again than a murderer? ( Having brain farts today)