Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dimensions, OBE, or just crazy?

Kassekoe99

Frequently in my childhood and occasionally in adulthood, I've been practicing what I call skipping out. I don't know quite how to describe it, but I'll do my best. I can do this wide awake or on the verge of sleep, but it's always my choice. I focus my mind in almost a meditative state. I then feel like my presence is leaving my body which is why I call it skipping out. I can't see my body or anything, I'm just not there anymore. It's a freeing feeling, but if I'm gone too long I get an odd feeling of pressure in my mind and retreat back to myself. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

• Like 1

Or is this self-induced hypnagogic episodes?

I've tried to do that but never succeeded, and I'm good at putting myself into various sorts of trances. The illusion that your mind is attached or within your body (in my case right behind my eyes) does not seem breakable. I think it's because our brain cannot have information that doesn't come to it from the senses.

• Like 2

Hmm. Strange. It sounds interesting, but in don't think I've ever done anything like that. I was going to say astral projecting or an OBE, but you say you don't see anything...

Maybe it's a not as powerful form of it. Like half way leaving, but not fully.

My GF does the same thing. she will be far removed from the external things going on.She and I believe she just retreats to a calming place within herself.

• Like 2

It used to scare me. I was ok with it as a child. When I got older and perhaps realized what I was doing was not something that everyone did, I was afraid. And of course there is always the fear of the unknown. But my personality drives me to explore the unknown. So I started to do it again. I always bail when the pressure I feel gets too intense. Thinking about it now I don't recall the pressure as a kid but maybe I just don't remember. I have no idea what would happen if I just let it build and build which is really why I'm trying to find out if anyone else does this. It's such an odd feeling and I wish I could explain it better or even convey how I do it so other can too. It's kind of like wiggling your ears. You can do it but you have to learn on your own to isolate that muscle and it's not something that can be taught.

It could be related to Sleep Paralysis, you are maybe relaxing your brain to such a state that it starts to drift off to sleep, but as you are partically concentrating then you are stopping yourself falling asleep. Or it could be astral projection, but I don;t know much about that I'm afraid.

• Like 1

It could be related to Sleep Paralysis, you are maybe relaxing your brain to such a state that it starts to drift off to sleep, but as you are partically concentrating then you are stopping yourself falling asleep.

Definitely not almost asleep. I sleep in that in between almost asleep/still aware state most of the night. I wondered if it was sleep paralysis related so I tested my body function ability. I have to get back into myself to move my body, but do you have that kind of control with sleep paralysis? In writing this I wondered how I'm able to do this in the middle of the day, sitting in a chair, but then I guess sleep states are achieved anywhere for some people.

It would be totally freaky if I was able to self-induce sleep paralysis. I've never experienced it like some people do so I have nothing to compare it to.