Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog does maths

Saru

I wonder if that is a version of the famous "smart horse" known as "Clever hans", back in the very early 1900's...

Hans could do simple math by tapping his hoof - just like Maggie... And he made his owner a tidy sum of money by performing like this...

But it was found later that the horse was watching his owner, and as he tapped his hoof and he got to the right number his owner would

tense up a bit and the horse would stop tapping at that point... it wasn't a set up case of fraud - the owner actually thought the horse

could count...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

IMO the dog is somehow being cued by the owner. I'd like to see how the dog would do if the owner was removed from her presence. I'm willing to bet good money that the dog would not be able to do any math.

• Like 2

Just re-read up on Clever Hans, and I was incorrect when I said he made his owner "a tidy sum of money"... His owner never charged for the shows he put on..

• Like 1

However, these animals certainly are showing intelligence in being able to read their owners at such a subtle level. They read us far better than we can read them.

• Like 2

Cues or no cues, Maggie is still smarter at math than I am. I needed a pen and piece of paper the other day to multiply 13 by 14, fgs. *sigh*

Edit to add; I was always good at simple mental arthmetic, playing darts helped, so do you think my years of drinking have puggled my brain or is it just lack of practice?.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Cues or no cues, Maggie is still smarter at math than I am. I needed a pen and piece of paper the other day to multiply 13 by 14, fgs. *sigh*

Try thinking of it like this:

13 x 10 = 130

13 x 4 = 52

130 + 52 = 182

After awhile you'll be able to do this very quickly.

• Like 1

Try thinking of it like this:

13 x 10 = 130

13 x 4 = 52

130 + 52 = 182

After awhile you'll be able to do this very quickly.

I was thinking that way, but the answer wouldn't come without me writing down my thoughts and calculations. Grr.

It's strange, and off-topic, but I find also that writing things down helps me remember them. (Without the need to look again at what I've written) If I write it down, I remember it. Most times.

Ok so you have 11 fingers right...raise both hands count down on your left hand, 10..9..8..7..6...plus the 5 fingers on your right hand make ....11 prove me wrong, heh

That's only 5 numerals.

On the next hand you have: 5..4..3..2..1.

Also only 5 numerals.

5 + 5 = 10