Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Private Conversation With Your Child

OverSword

From the article:

Do the government and its ancillaries have ownership over your child?

Do they have the power to detain and question a child without parental permission?

Apparently they think they do according to a new Michigan medical records access law which reportedly requires doctors to have a private conversation with minors when their parents bring them in for medical care.

This is the notice Christy Duffy saw posted at her physician’s office when she brought her 17-year old daughter in for a minor foot injury.

When Mrs. Duffy returned home she penned the following public service announcement warning parents about what to expect the next time they visit their doctor:

Read it here

Edited by Still Waters
Shortened amount of copied text - The rest can be viewed in the source link

It is now said that this notice was put up as required due to law that doesn't exist.

Mom Who Refused to Let Nurse Have ‘Private’ Conversation With Her Daughter Believes She Caught Hospital Citing Law That Doesn’t Exist

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/05/mom-who-refused-to-let-nurse-have-private-conversation-with-her-daughter-believes-she-caught-hospital-citing-law-that-doesnt-exist/

• Like 1

We move a lot and have had our kids to several doctors, dentists, orthodontists in a few states over the years.

One and only one, had a sign that requested parents not accompany their children into the exam room, as this gives the doctor a chance to get to know the child, or some such.

I never thought birth control, drugs, or "rock and roll", but I did think Pedophile. I ignored the sign that day. We had another looong important talk with our kids. And we found another doctor.

That was the only one over many years that ever had that notice, though. I can see it becoming more common, however.

And A**** doctors and dentists do take liberties with patients... I know.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I'd have said "bull****" and left.

• Like 2

Doctors considering that it might be a sensible idea to be able to discuss rationally and without hysteria issues relating to sex and drugs??! This is an absolutely horrifying and terrifying notion!!! So we'd prefer it if these things were not discussed confidentially and rationally, then, and the policy of "just continue to pretend that they don't exist, then our precious ones will never find out about them" (as this outraged parent seems to feel) should continue. Well, it's been such a success, hasn't it, why change anything.

• Like 3

I never thought birth control, drugs, or "rock and roll", but I did think Pedophile. I ignored the sign that day. We had another looong important talk with our kids. And we found another doctor.

That was the only one over many years that ever had that notice, though. I can see it becoming more common, however.

And A**** doctors and dentists do take liberties with patients... I know.

i'm sorry, if you can't trust a doctor, then there really is no hope any more and you may as well never allow your children to have contact with anyone outside your own door. I'm really sorry.

Parents should accompany their children, as spouses should accompany each other. Not because of fear of pedophilia -- that's a bit hysterical to my thinking -- but just so the adult gets the story straight and first hand. I also think with younger children there will be less fear if the child is not alone so things like blood pressure will be more accurate.

There may be times when the doctor can't get a straight story from the child because the parent persists in answering instead, even when told, "let's let Johnny tell me." Such parents are unfortunate and I feel sorry for both the doctor and the kid, but they still are the parents.

• Like 1

Parents should accompany their children, as spouses should accompany each other. Not because of fear of pedophilia -- that's a bit hysterical to my thinking -- but just so the adult gets the story straight and first hand. I also think with younger children there will be less fear if the child is not alone so things like blood pressure will be more accurate.

There may be times when the doctor can't get a straight story from the child because the parent persists in answering instead, even when told, "let's let Johnny tell me." Such parents are unfortunate and I feel sorry for both the doctor and the kid, but they still are the parents.

Children, yes, but the one in the story was 17. Surely parents must realise that there are some things you really wouldn't want to share with your parents at that age.

• Like 1

i'm sorry, if you can't trust a doctor, then there really is no hope any more and you may as well never allow your children to have contact with anyone outside your own door. I'm really sorry.

When it comes to my kids I'd rather be wrong than proven right. And making parenting judgement calls happen daily. They are certainly not always all or nothing and they certainly do not necessarily lead to black and white thinking.

They are part of raising kids. I made a decision that day. If you think that decision somehow means I might as well never allow my kids to have contact with anyone outside my own door, that is your conclusion for my kids, not my conclusion for my kids.

Apparently you've never been abused by a doctor or found out your son's gymnastic's coach was a pedophile. I have, so my perspective and radar is different than yours. I won't apologize for it, or agree with your faulty logic.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Hysterical? When should you worry about pedophilia then? Never? With a priest? Coach? Scout Leader? These are all areas where pedophiles prowl for kids, including in medical settings.

So I'm not sure what you mean by hysterical thinking.

When is it not hysterical, after your kid tells you about being abused? After the kids coach is on the evening news? Then you can think hysterically?

I've been there. No thanks.

Edited by QuiteContrary

What would you do if you caught your son m********ing?

Think he was human. Who you talking too?

I got the feeling you were a bit obsessive about children and sex, but your answer relieves me. Still, why then the concern over what a doctor might do that would promptly be reported by your child if he or she is normal? I think often doctors want to not have certain parents present.

• Like 1

My thoughts: Seventeen isn't seven. At seven I should be with my child during medical exams. At seventeen it's time for them to have the option of private discussion with the doctor.

• Like 6

I won't apologize for it, or agree with your faulty logic.

Faulty logic? isn't it more faulty logic to live in fear of every medical professional?

Children, yes, but the one in the story was 17. Surely parents must realise that there are some things you really wouldn't want to share with your parents at that age.

Well, if it was so important that the state waited until the minor was 17 years old, how about they wait one more year till the minor becomes an emancipated adult? But then I suspect if this meets little resistance from the general public, they can start these private conversations with your child starting in kindergarten. I can picture it now: "Do mommy and daddy have any nasty guns in their house? Do you ever hear strange noises coming from you parents bedroom at night? How often? Does mommy's (or daddy's) friend come over after daddy goes off to work? Do you know if mommy and daddy pay their taxes every year or say bad things about the government? Have you ever tried drugs or drank alcohol, and if so did you get them from where mommy and daddy hide them? Have your parents every spanked you and would you like them arrested? Yep, nothing better than having a spy in every home, one who shares the most intimate details of your home life.

Government is becoming WAY to involved in our lives, doctors are already asking questions not directly related to health as required by the ACA, aka Obamacare, and now this little private conversation with your child?

• Like 4

not a damn thing, it is normal for teens to jack off, no problem whatsoever. i wont even tell him i saw him doing it.

Edited by aztek

I think often doctors want to not have certain parents present.

it is not his call really, anyone, even cops must have parents consent to talk to their underage kids, if a doctors says he does not need it, he is lying, time to find another doctor,

To be fair, Admiral, there are creepy doctors out there. I had a girlfriend from Japan for years and when she first moved here her English was not the best. She came home from a check-up one time in tears because the doctor had molested her a bit and was trying to take it further when she started panicking. She wouldn't report it and the things she told me he did were pretty creepy and I'm sure he'd done them before and since.

it is not the creepy ones i'm consearned, may be a little, it is incompletent ones that would put their wrong opinions on paper as medical facts. when my mother was taking a med test for her disabuility, a nurse, kept saying 160\90 is normal blood presure, if i did not file official complaint, she would not get another person check her up, and she would be denied benefits. based on nurses assesment "normal blood pressure".

this is what consearnes me more than creepies. what if a doctor "believes" child was abused, but his bruses are not from abuse, but from bike fall. oficals will believe that doctor, not you, the parent. not to mention he can say child told him something that child never did, if he wants to talk to a kid privately, he better do it on camera, every second, and every word need to be on tape.

and judging from amount of deaths from medical mistakes, (surpases all murders and fathal diu's combines and few times over) we have plenty of such incompetent doctors, and we do have very good reasons not to trust them unless they are proven to be trustworthy

Edited by aztek

Faulty logic? isn't it more faulty logic to live in fear of every medical professional?

Wow, This is a decision I made I will never regret or feel bad about. Who says I fear every medical professional? I said we found another doctor.

Where is the logic in your assumption this call I made about a certain situation means I "may as well never allow your children to have contact with anyone outside your own door"

How do you jump from A to B?

Edited by QuiteContrary

I got the feeling you were a bit obsessive about children and sex, but your answer relieves me. Still, why then the concern over what a doctor might do that would promptly be reported by your child if he or she is normal? I think often doctors want to not have certain parents present.

You're kidding right? Wait for my child to report an incident that happened to him/her? I don't understand that at all.

Obssessive about children and sex? Where did you get that from?

I'm concerned about adults and children having sex.

I never told my child's age.

Buy him a seeing eye dog and a razor to shave his palms of course. :whistle:

• Like 3

No you sneak up behind him and yell WHATCHA DOIN'! Make it something you'll both never forget. :)

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 5

No you sneak up behind him and yell WHATCHA DOIN!

Ha, ha! Now that's just cruel!

• Like 2