Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre Shadow in Photos

enigma7

Hello, I suspect I've been dealing with the paranormal for a while now but I won't try to persuade you with stories. While going through old photos on my iPhone I found two photos I don't remember taking and have never seen anything like this. I've come to this forum of skeptics so you all can give me honest feedback, I'd actually be happy for you to tell me it just has something to do with the lighting or there's a simple explanation.. But even if this is a "shadow" of an actual object or just something blocking the lens, the shape and outline make no sense...

c6f7ccf4-9558-4299-a21d-c1fb7496fe39_zps3b7d601b.jpg?t=1402127125

c260a62c-9c5a-4ffc-a04d-6d97a9312309_zps6022fac5.jpg?t=1402127155

Edited by enigma7

My 4 am :sleepy: guess. A photo of door or window frame near the ceiling taken from the floor or bed looking up. And something black in color with hair like a dog or looks more like its fuzzy or fake fur like a blanket or stuffed animal (many possible culprits).

Then there's the Gorilla photo bomber. I hear he's quite the photog. Doesn't quite have the "Selfie" thing down yet though. :no: He tends to frame only unfortunate anatomical parts like his armpit or thigh or forehead.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

My 4 am :sleepy: guess. A photo of door or window frame near the ceiling taken from the floor or bed looking up. And something black in color with hair like a dog or looks more like its fuzzy or fake fur like a blanket or stuffed animal (many possible culprits).

Then there's the Gorilla photo bomber. I hear he's quite the photog. Doesn't quite have the "Selfie" thing down yet though. :no: He tends to frame only unfortunate anatomical parts like his armpit or thigh or forehead.

LOL! First thing I thought was "gorilla armpit"! Great minds and all.

• Like 1

What you're seeing is a mirror, but yes this "thing" expands across the top/ceiling. And I can assure you there was nothing black in color with hair like a dog, or any stuffed animals or furry blankets nearby.

Wish it was a friendly Gorilla, but that's not likely either! If someone can give me a legitimate explanation I'd be more than willing to hear it..

Edited by enigma7

Hi enigma,

It only appears black because the object is extremely close to the camera lens. Try taking a pic of an object held up against your phone. I would say that this is the edge of a blanket that was laying on the phone when the pic was taken. Or a friendly gorilla :)

hi,... I didnt know Yu Zhenhuan came by your house back in the days

Thanks for responding phantasia, I'm sure you're probably right.. I just find the outline really weird because I know where this was taken and there was nothing fuzzy or furry nearby that would've caused that

hi,... I didnt know Yu Zhenhuan came by your house back in the days

Haha yep, what can I say he's just fun to party with! :)

• Like 1

Quick thought. Scroll back up to the pictures and hold up your right hand and angle your pinky to the left in front of the picture. Looks like a right hand to me.

• Like 1

Quick thought. Scroll back up to the pictures and hold up your right hand and angle your pinky to the left in front of the picture. Looks like a right hand to me.

Oh good call!! It does look like that... But with the lighting and that much of a hand in the picture it shouldn't have been close enough to show up as black... And what's up with the weird edges? I'm a girl so even if it was a guy with hairy hands or something it still looks weird. Creepy.

Are those pics upside down? looks like floor tiles on the ceiling. Are you sure it's not your pet...like a dog or a black cat?

Also, it looks like a mirror that reflects the floor tiles....when I turn my PC screen upside down.

Gosh!... the things that I do, since joining this forum :rolleyes: ?

Edited by Astra00
  • Like 1

Hello, I suspect I've been dealing with the paranormal for a while now but I won't try to persuade you with stories. While

going through old photos on my iPhone I found two photos I don't remember taking and have never seen anything like this.

I've come to this forum of skeptics so you all can give me honest feedback, I'd actually be happy for you to tell me it just has

something to do with the lighting or there's a simple explanation.. But even if this is a "shadow" of an actual object or just

something blocking the lens, the shape and outline make no sense...

Nothing paranormal here. Pic rotated for 180°:

pit2_zps953f1280.jpg

Ground tiled with quadratic floortiles. Wooden framed mirror on the wall, reflecting floortiles. Pic taken by accident.

Black object might be something long fibre fabric/wool like a scarf, pullover, jacket or similar. Or a dog/cat.

If you were not totally sloshed at the time the pic was taken you should remember where it was taken and what does

it show.

• Like 3

I have to agree with Muddyfeet, that it looks very clearly like a foreshortened arm and part of a hand - that was my immediate thought when I first saw the pictures. The hair appears longer in the second picture in one small strand, almost more like long head hair, but overall it still looks most like an arm and hand. Unless you are an extremely experienced photographer, and especially using high-quality equipment, it is pretty much impossible for any casual non-expert to discount as "not likely" lighting or focus as a possible explanation that supports an obvious possible source of the image (a hand).

I've shown a photographer friend of my family's numerous strange photos (from orbs to streaks to mist to smoke to odd cemetery lights, dark shapes and shadows, etc.) from my own photos and from here and other places on the net, and though he is a Christian and believer in spiritual things, he has not once ever seen anything he felt was more than an extremely slight possibility of any of them being anything other than a developing or photographic artifact, able to supply 3-7 possible explanations for each. I really felt dumb when he provided so many alternate explanations of things I didn't even know were common photographic anomalies.

pit2_zps953f1280.jpg

Ground tiled with quadratic floortiles. Wooden framed mirror on the wall, reflecting floortiles. Pic taken by accident.

Black object might be something long fibre fabric/wool like a scarf, pullover, jacket or similar. Or a dog/cat.

If you were not totally sloshed at the time the pic was taken you should remember where it was taken and what does

it show.

By joves, I think he's got it :tu:
  • Like 2

pit2_zps953f1280.jpg

it show.

Nope, the pic isn't upside down that's the ceiling.... The floor was carpeted. Do not own a dog or cat, wasn't sloshed at the time but still don't know what the object is. I've taken pics on accident before but never anything that looks like this. Good try with your theories though!

I have to agree with Muddyfeet, that it looks very clearly like a foreshortened arm and part of a hand - that was my immediate thought when I first saw the pictures. The hair appears longer in the second picture in one small strand, almost more like long head hair, but overall it still looks most like an arm and hand. Unless you are an extremely experienced photographer, and especially using high-quality equipment, it is pretty much impossible for any casual non-expert to discount as "not likely" lighting or focus as a possible explanation that supports an obvious possible source of the image (a hand).

I've shown a photographer friend of my family's numerous strange photos (from orbs to streaks to mist to smoke to odd cemetery lights, dark shapes and shadows, etc.) from my own photos and from here and other places on the net, and though he is a Christian and believer in spiritual things, he has not once ever seen anything he felt was more than an extremely slight possibility of any of them being anything other than a developing or photographic artifact, able to supply 3-7 possible explanations for each. I really felt dumb when he provided so many alternate explanations of things I didn't even know were common photographic anomalies.

I'm sure there could be a plausible explanation, I'm just not understanding it.. And yes it very obviously looks like a hand, I hadn't realized that at first but it makes more sense than some article of clothing or blanket being responsible for that shape. Also this is not some sophisticated camera or anything, it's your run of the mill iphone, so understanding the lighting and focus shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who understands these things. (I'm no expert, which is why I've posted here hoping others know more)

Edited by enigma7

Nope, the pic isn't upside down that's the ceiling.... The floor was carpeted. Do not own a dog or cat, wasn't sloshed at the time

but still don't know what the object is. I've taken pics on accident before but never anything that looks like this. Good try with

your theories though!

So you know where/when it was taken so the answer what that object is can be answered by yourself only and not by speculations

within a forum, based on that pic. And if you think the pic shows something paranormal/extraordinary the reality must be a horror

for you. In case you just not want to prank a little bit around here.

• Like 2

So you know where/when it was taken so the answer what that object is can be answered by yourself only and not by speculations

within a forum, based on that pic. And if you think the pic shows something paranormal/extraordinary the reality must be a horror

for you. In case you just not want to prank a little bit around here.

Great, if you have no speculations there's no need to reply then really. I'm glad I posted though since otherwise I wouldn't have realized it's probably a hand. And yes I mean a human hand but call me one of those crazy believers who believes in "energy". And yeah it must be great for people who have never experienced anything negative to be able to judge others here. Keep at it!

As with any public forum, when you post, you're always likely to have good, bad and in-between experiences, and sometimes it depends on your own mindset and how you take them, sometimes you just get a bad roll and you get negative people - the flip side is, sometimes you get supportive people. We're often going to hear things we don't like, and we're often going to read some of it delivered in ways we don't like. For me I've learned, and have always tried to impart this to others, is to ignore or discount "tone" on the internet from others, because it IS the internet, and a written medium, and it's hard enough to get a sense of some intent even when we talk to our close friends or family online.

To clarify, I don't mean ignore as in read what someone writes without considering their emotion or meaning in their words, but I mean ignore by not allowing ourselves to do what may or may not have been someone's intent, to be harsh or snarky to us, or to make ourselves upset or offended, but to take differing opinions and criticisms and even, in fact especially, if a post hits us the wrong way and we feel is negative, to make it useful in spite of that, to take the actual criticism or opposing view on its own merits, and decide if it has relevance and validity related to our topic.

On topic, I looked it over again and even the rotated pic and I do still feel it looks like a very real person at some point got hold of it and took a couple pictures, likely accidentally as was suggested, and so I stand by earlier feeling it does look like a hand (just so I have a bit here relevant to the topic). =)

Yes thanks Paranormalcy, I'm not overly concerned or trying to get into a heated debate. I know most people here are skeptics and I'm not trying to change anyone's view. I just notice there tends to be a pretty mocking tone (sorry it's hard to discount even online) that comes with that skepticism, so my feelings aren't hurt I'm just being straightforward too. Personally I have to wonder why people who are so convinced the paranormal doesn't exist invest so much energy discussing and thinking about it here.. But that's another topic. Thanks for your responses and opinions on the picture :)

It is a hand holding the camera. You can see the outline of the mounds on the hand, most particularly under the pinkie finger, and even the hair on the hand.

I know it's a bit offtopic but for what it's worth, I think people like you that willingly post things like you have, and ask others, say "Tell me what you think this is", actually performs a great service, not only for themselves, but at least in two, but really many other, major ways. When you post here asking for real critique, two other things may come from these type of threads, *besides* you either getting enough information one way or another that you're satisfied with, that you can conclude you agree with other people's suggestions.

1) the people that DO tend to be much more criticial of claims, that rationalize away most anything, or scientifically give alternate reasons why something has a mundane explanation (I am one of them to a large 95+%) - these people get a chance to actually hone and improve their deductive skills, their explanations, their hypotheses, etc. They also learn from your post, your examples, your descriptions, to add to their own experiences.

2) Others also get to learn from them, see your post, see the counter-posts, and these other people may be "believers", "skeptics" or something entirely different, but they too will have all these posts to add to their frame of reference to consider in their own experiences and point of view, and these different approaches are how we learn, how we are able to examine our own beliefs and biases and decide when some things make sense and some don't, and people can go any direction in this way. Some will find a post and its supporting and countering arguments will clarify their own mindsets or points, solidifying even more thair belief in common paranormal or unexplained events, while others will see all the posts and move the other direction, concluding a thread like this is yet more evidence that proves the rule, that the unexplained is extremely rare or non-existent. And as I said, others will have entirely a different thought to take away from it all.

In the end, you will eventually arrive at your own answer, and your post will have done a great deal for others, both those that are more apt to think something is supernatural or "weird", and those known as "skeptics" and debunkers, and then the majority of people who truly don't know, and do want to find out the truth, whatever it is - they too will be able to use posts like these to see the typical common routes of reasoning, and it will help them form their own beliefs or improve their knowledge if nothing else. I hope you and others realize just what posts like yours truly offer and give to the world at large, whatever your own personal decision on the thread or topic or anyone else's points, because they are indescribably valuable for so many people, in so many ways! =) Thanks for asking it!

• Like 1

While going through old photos on my iPhone I found two photos I don't remember taking .......

Above for reference on below posts....

And I can assure you there was nothing black in color with hair like a dog, or any stuffed animals or furry blankets nearby.

Refer to first quote....

I agree with this, and that was my first thought.

Nope, the pic isn't upside down that's the ceiling....

Can you take some pics showing that spot?...To confirm?

And, find the same angle and try to take pics with your hand in front of the lens, see what you get and post.

• Like 2

Just did this in a second. Not real hairy, and I know not exact. I am sure I could come very close if I spent more time doing it. This is with a lot of lighting, and towards ceiling. You mentioned a hand would not be that dark......Yes, it would. Not all the time, but if the camera is trying to focus, or the " hand " is moving just a bit.

That is from using the front lens " selfie "...The camera is lating on something, something ( animal ) or someone took a few pics on accident. Since you do not remember taking them at all ( quoted ) this could have happened anywhere. A dog or cat could have done this, although I agree, a hand. Maybe not yours, a friends.

It is a selfie of a hand, or animal. Possibly even a scarf as someone mentioned.

post-92206-0-00193500-1402162594_thumb.j

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

*snip*

What?

• Like 1

Can you take some pics showing that spot?...To confirm?

And, find the same angle and try to take pics with your hand in front of the lens, see what you get and post.

It was taken in a hotel room which is why I remember the location and what was around, but know I didn't intentionally take this pic and wasn't with anyone who has hairy hands (please ensue the "what were you doing in a hotel room you irresponsible wh*re" or whatever other negative comments you've got lol)

I could take pics in my current location to show they would not turn out like that, but I'm sure that wouldn't be satisfactory for you.

Just did this in a second. Not real hairy, and I know not exact. I am sure I could come very close if I spent more time doing it. This is with a lot of lighting, and towards ceiling. You mentioned a hand would not be that dark......Yes, it would. Not all the time, but if the camera is trying to focus, or the " hand " is moving just a bit.

That is from using the front lens " selfie "...The camera is lating on something, something ( animal ) or someone took a few pics on accident. Since you do not remember taking them at all ( quoted ) this could have happened anywhere. A dog or cat could have done this, although I agree, a hand. Maybe not yours, a friends.

It is a selfie of a hand, or animal. Possibly even a scarf as someone mentioned.

post-92206-0-00193500-1402162594_thumb.j

And thanks for your input, your hand does look pretty dark, although it only shows part of your palm, so you're right not exactly the same pic. Glad it's all cleared up though and that you have everything figured out!

Edited by enigma7