Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Anti-homeless’ spikes outside London flats

Still Waters

I would open my door and welcome them in..... my family has done it before and will do it again.

so you would allow them to sleep inside your premises then rather than on the sidewalk outside of it?

and you would do this every single night for them? and what about when word got around and you had two then three squatting there?

hmm, i doubt that but it's a nice thought, isn't it?

so you would allow them to sleep inside your premises then rather than on the sidewalk outside of it?

and you would do this every single night for them? and what about when word got around and you had two then three squatting there?

hmm, i doubt that but it's a nice thought, isn't it?

You would be surprised how a small act of kindness towards a fellow human being can have the ability to transform a person. They are alone and lost... underneath there is a person in need of love. What is there to fear but fear itself JGirl?

I used to feel very sorry for the homeless. When I was in college and almost homeless myself, I got to know a group of homeless guys and ended up inviting one of them to live with me in my squalid one bedroom apartment for a couple days. He had a job lined up and I had spoken to the employer to verify he was telling the truth. So, a couple days later, I came home from a day at the college and we packed up and I drove him 60 miles out to this ranchers place and drop him off. I get home and go to play a CD and all my CDs are gone, and so I look around and all my small portable stuff was gone. I took this guy in and let him stay for free, fed him, and drove him across the county to his new job. And his repayment to me was to steal a bunch of my stuff. I owned very little at the time, and so maybe he got like $50 for everything he took. But, it makes you hard hearted to help people and have them spit back in your face once they are done with you.

The very next day the guy was knocking on my door. Wanted to stay with me. He'd quit his job on the first day. He said they woke him up early and were bossing him around. I told him to leave immediately before I called the cops.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 6

You would be surprised how a small act of kindness towards a fellow human being can have the ability to transform a person. They are alone and lost... underneath there is a person in need of love. What is there to fear but fear itself JGirl?

How many chances do you give someone before you just quit? How many times do you let someone spit on you before you tell them to get lost?

• Like 1

I used to feel very sorry for the homeless. When I was in college and almost homeless myself, I got to know a group of homeless guys and ended up inviting one of them to live with me in my squalid one bedroom apartment for a couple days. He had a job lined up and I had spoken to the employer to verify he was telling the truth. So, a couple days later, I came home from a day at the college and we packed up and I drove him 60 miles out to this ranchers place and drop him off. I get home and go to play a CD and all my CDs are gone, and so I look around and all my small portable stuff was gone. I took this guy in and let him stay for free, fed him, and drove him across the county to his new job. And his repayment to me was to steal a bunch of my stuff. I owned very little at the time, and so maybe he got like $50 for everything he took. But, it makes you hard hearted to help people and have them spit back in your face once they are done with you.

The very next day the guy was knocking on my door. Wanted to stay with me. He'd quit his job on the first day. He said they woke him up early and were bossing him around. I told him to leave immediately before I called the cops.

That's the risk you take when helping a stranger but I commend you for your kind heart. :tu:

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

There might just as well be a sociopath...

• Like 1

so instead of helping people in desperate straits, we should increase their suffering, and somehow expect this to cause change?

no.

• Like 2

There might just as well be a sociopath...

Yup I agree... it is a risk.

Yup I agree... it is a risk.

A risk I would not countenance with my wife and daughter in the same house.

• Like 3

A risk I would not countenance with my wife and daughter in the same house.

Understandable :yes:

so instead of helping people in desperate straits, we should increase their suffering, and somehow expect this to cause change?

no.

Nope. Help is available but not at a personal level where there is the chance of danger to myself or my family. How about just getting the most caring organisations (churches) to open up all of their assembly halls to house the homeless - after all, isn't that their raison d'etre [sarcasm intended].

A question: how much in your opinion must I do at a personal level to eradicate this problem? How much do you say I must spend over and above the large monthly donations that I already make to charities... in your opinion must I totally become destitute to support these people?

• Like 4

Nope. Help is available but not at a personal level where there is the chance of danger to myself or my family. How about just getting the most caring organisations (churches) to open up all of their assembly halls to house the homeless - after all, isn't that their raison d'etre [sarcasm intended].

A question: how much in your opinion must I do at a personal level to eradicate this problem? How much do you say I must spend over and above the large monthly donations that I already make to charities... in your opinion must I totally become destitute to support these people?

do what you feel you can.

i'm not against charity, though i have doubts to how much it can actually do when the entire society is messed up. but i do not want you to give up everything you own. i have never in this topic said anything resembling those things. look over the posts i have made in this topic.

what i am opposed to, and what i have been arguing against, are things that are based on punishing or hurting people, rather than helping them. the spikes from the original article will do nothing to help homeless people, it only makes life harder. people who are already suffering should not be made to suffer more.

• Like 1

you are quite naive. i wont' go into all the dangers of letting a perfect stranger with possible mental issues or worse into one's home. you don't need to educate me on acts of kindness, but perhaps you need a lesson or two in realism

in any case you did not respond to my questions regarding how far you are willing to extend that act of kindness so i'm to assume i'm correct in assuming that it's nice in theory but doesn't really work all that well in actual practice.

• Like 1

Typical liberal wishy-washy outrage. Humbug and Hypocrisy.

You'd think differently if the "homeless" where sleeping in YOUR gardens.

Personally, not only would I plant spikes, I'd put 10,000 volts through them. :w00t:

AC or DC?

no.

I say help them, but monitor/verify. There are people who need help and there are those who are looking to victimize people. We should help people, but not be Stupid about it. Handing that guy on the Offramp of the highway $20 is just buying him liquor, not help.

• Like 1

you are quite naive. i wont' go into all the dangers of letting a perfect stranger with possible mental issues or worse into one's home. you don't need to educate me on acts of kindness, but perhaps you need a lesson or two in realism

in any case you did not respond to my questions regarding how far you are willing to extend that act of kindness so i'm to assume i'm correct in assuming that it's nice in theory but doesn't really work all that well in actual practice.

I wouldn't say I was naive... and you don't know me JGirl. I'm not here to judge you or be judged. One thing I will say; the people whom my family and I helped went on their way but if that had not been the case I would of extended my assistance. It may seem alien to you but that is how I was brought up, to not turn a 'blind eye'.

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

Sorry, didn't realise I was talking to a child, thought you were an adult, my mistake.

Wake up and smell the coffee. There are dangerous people out there.

Wouldn't that depend on the cave? If it's on private property, you would be trespassing just as much as a homeless person in an apartment alcove. If it's public property, wouldn't they have laws about squatting on public lands?

This is really silly. DOH! Prepare yourselves because you never know when you'll need to survive in a post acopalyptic future.

I'm alright jack screw you? Its a disgusting attitude that seems to be more and more popular,have you no empathy with your fellow man?

Calm down! Calm down! The amount of rudeness coming from the do-gooders is hardly empathy. I don't want to open my house to strange beer and tobacco tick-covered smelly grown ups, thanks very much.

so what if its a child or someone who has missing limbs?

stereotyping or what

If it's a child or a disabled person I would definately help them. But I'm not talking about vulnerable people.

do you even know what to eat when in a cave? how about the dangers? there's bugs that can do serious harm to you and the stench

This is my business honey. I don't want other people looking out for me :)

I think it would be a bad practice for any woman who lived alone to invite a homeless man inside. Does anyone really disagree with this?

• Like 3

I think it would be a bad practice for any woman who lived alone to invite a homeless man inside. Does anyone really disagree with this?

Was that really even anyone's argument or point of discussion?

Edited by Likely Guy

Yup :clap:

Oooooooh.... flower pots that suddenly shoot out Cutlas blades, and spin around really quickly. ... al la Boadacea's chariot. All we need then is some sort of bagging mechanism to catch the chunks, and its a trip down to Battersea Dogs and Cats home next morning to drop off 'breakfast'. RESULT. :w00t:

:tsu:

What a clever boy!

Was that really even anyone's argument or point of discussion?

It appeared (to me) that some people were saying that everyone should give anyone a chance (to move in and live with them), which is just not safe (in many situations).

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

It appeared (to me) that some people were saying that everyone should give anyone a chance (to move in and live with them), which is just not safe (in many situations).

While some people are saying 'give people a chance', I'm sure that they're not saying 'give people, every chance, under the sun'.

We might be arguing semantics, but there we are.

<_< < That was my angry face, by the way.

Star of the Sea said it before; "There but for the grace of god go I."

I'm not religious, but this is one of true teachings of humanity that surmounts all dogmas.

I could be in their place right now, so how could you condemn me? You could be in their place tomorrow, so how can you condemn them?

/when i lived in the cities I gave them my change, because that's all i could afford.

//now that i live in the country, i have an old r.v. that they can stay in, for a while.

• Like 1

Wake up and smell the coffee. There are dangerous people out there.

If you stop being scared of everyone you don't understand you'll find that most people can use common sense when it comes to situations like homeless people. For the record, common sense isn't using the widest brush you can find to label a section of society who are down on their luck - homeless people are made up of all sorts of people who are their for all sorts of reasons. They are not all out there to get you you know, some are good and some are bad just like any other section of society. Which makes your "wake up and smell the coffee" comment laughable when you don't seem to have a grasp of even the basics yet.