Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Anti-homeless’ spikes outside London flats

Still Waters

What you do is take it further and open a homeless shelter.... it's as simple as that.

That's not simple. That is like saying, "Unemployed? Start a very successful business on your own."

I have maybe $10 a month I could throw at this problem, but I (and most adults) have near zero Time to invest in such a project. I can't even make it to most of my kids' activities.

If you think the spikes are an issue, Westminster council wanted to make it illegal to even feed the homeless, and stop the charitable soup kitchens from handing out food! But they then back tracked: http://www.theguardi...l-homeless-soup

What is the world potentially coming too?

It is snobbery and their is no justification.

It boils down to them accepting it happens in their community and want it moved along. God forbid their half a million plus studio flats might be that tad harder to sell with a small insight of what happens in the UK on their doorstep.

Lets face it, how dare somebody who can't raise a mortgage for this amount of money dare to walk their streets. It is not like they paid a premium to live in London or anything.

FFS Dick Whittington backed his bags with his cat and headed that way. I grew up around London and I am so glad I left, horrible city just obsessed with making money on others misfortune.

• Like 2

yes

if that were simple however, there would be more people doing it and less people on the streets

i'm not yanking your chain for helping or wanting to help these people. i was challenging you to see how inviting them to sleep in your home is not only not going to address their overall housing problem, it's also going to possibly jeopardize your family and belongings.

but a friend can do that aswell, kill you even, everyone is a threat, whether you know them or dont

yes

if that were simple however, there would be more people doing it and less people on the streets

i'm not yanking your chain for helping or wanting to help these people. i was challenging you to see how inviting them to sleep in your home is not only not going to address their overall housing problem, it's also going to possibly jeopardize your family and belongings.

You wanted to know what I would do when word got round after inviting a homeless person into my home and you may think it unrealistic but that is what my family did: They set up a homeless shelter. "Where their's a will their's a way" The problem lies with us as a society to help the less fortunate..... it can become a reality.

tumblr_n56igoDbj61ru1iyeo1_1280.jpg
  • Like 2

Two double cheeseburgers, fries, the biggest bottle of water you can find and a Subway sandwich for later. Throw in a candy bar if you like. All cost less than fifteen dollars in some states. ;)

They'll of course still try to bum money off of you, but I always say to them 'Ooooh sorry friend, I just spent my last dime on your meal here.' Despite their problems and addictions, deep down they really do appreciate the ones who give them food. Hunger is a b****, man.

I've actually stopped and offered can foods before and they spit at me. Some will take the food, and I say good for them.

I did know several homeless guys when I was going to college and they would regularly go to the local food bank, and each take a sack of groceries and then go to the mom and pop corner store and sell the stuff back at 25 cents on the dollar, then use that money to buy beer. They did this at least once every two weeks.

Usually if the guy on the side of the road does not want food, he'll tell you a story about needing money for a train/bus/airplane ticket. Those are guys that just want money.

No problem with that at all...you're entitled to your opinion about homeless people, as I am entitled to point out it's wrong to assume anything about them, and as we live in a democracy i'm entitled to do that, yeah?

The problem in this thread is that everyone has different experiences with the homeless. Those that have been homeless would very much have liked someone to have helped them. While people like myself, who have only ever been bothered, robbed and begged from think that most of the homeless are trouble.

I'd argue that Your Own assumptions need to be revisited, from other people's perspectives.

I'd repeat what I said earlier... To help the homeless is Admirable, but don't be Stupid about it.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

That's not simple. That is like saying, "Unemployed? Start a very successful business on your own."

I have maybe $10 a month I could throw at this problem, but I (and most adults) have near zero Time to invest in such a project. I can't even make it to most of my kids' activities.

You seek help from the community... there are many people out there who are willing to pitch in. It can be done and has been done many times... it's whether you're willing or not.

Edited by Star of the Sea

The problem in this thread is that everyone has different experiences with the homeless. Those that have been homeless would very much have liked someone to have helped them. While people like myself, who have only ever been bothered, robbed and begged from think that most of the homeless are trouble.

I'd argue that Your Own assumptions need to be revisited, from other people's perspectives.

I'd repeat what I said earlier... To help the homeless is Admirable, but don't be Stupid about it.

My perspective is a very simple one, in that all homeless people can not be thought of in the same negative light. I'm not even advocating anyone help that doesn't want to help, only that you shouldn't assume anything about how someone ended up homeless, and judge their character in terms of them likely to be trouble or dangerous, similarly you shouldn't think they are all saints either. As I have said - common sense should be applied.

What part of that perspective do you think needs revisiting?

• Like 1

You seek help from the community... there are many people out there who are willing to pitch in. It can be done and has been done many times... its whether you're willing or not.

I do agree, that I could do that. I might cause the ruination of my job, my marriage, my family, loose my home. But, I could do that. But, that would fall under my argument of being Stupid about it. I suppose I could stay up an extra hour every night, and work on this problem, and seek allies and funds, and organize the building of a facility. But... The problem just does not concern me enough that I want to do that. My time is precious to me, and so I do what I do.

By all means, if this is a priority for you, and you get enjoyment from it, proceed.

I'd point out that the things a person can do to help the community are nearly endless.

• Like 1

My perspective is a very simple one, in that all homeless people can not be thought of in the same negative light. I'm not even advocating anyone help that doesn't want to help, only that you shouldn't assume anything about how someone ended up homeless, and judge their character in terms of them likely to be trouble or dangerous, similarly you shouldn't think they are all saints either. As I have said - common sense should be applied.

What part of that perspective do you think needs revisiting?

I admit that not every homeless person is a villain in need of being chased off. But, how am I, as a non-expert, supposed to know a truly deserving person from a violent criminal? Ask them? Like the violent criminal would admit to being a violent criminal.

How can an average person deal with the homeless without coming from the angle of worst case scenario? To do otherwise would be unwise in my opinion. I already posted that I unwisely helped a homeless man, who ended up burglarizing my place and then unapologeticly returned to get more. When 7 out of 10 homeless you meet are problems, how can you deal with the entire population without taking that into consideration?

• Like 1

I admit that not every homeless person is a villain in need of being chased off. But, how am I, as a non-expert, supposed to know a truly deserving person from a violent criminal? Ask them? Like the violent criminal would admit to being a violent criminal.

How can an average person deal with the homeless without coming from the angle of worst case scenario? To do otherwise would be unwise in my opinion. I already posted that I unwisely helped a homeless man, who ended up burglarizing my place and then unapologeticly returned to get more. When 7 out of 10 homeless you meet are problems, how can you deal with the entire population without taking that into consideration?

If that is how you see it based on your experiences that it's best not get involved in the future - I understand that....never had any problem with people who don't want to get involved. The points i've made and have posted in reply too are more related to blatantly false comments like this "They're on the streets out of choice and are grown adults who've taken that route." <<< That is just something someone made up off the top of their head, and without personally speaking to each and every homeless person to determine how they ended up there then it has no basis in reality.

I don't regularly help, it's not even a subject I think about that often - but I do know 2 things for a fact:

1) Some homeless people are exceptional people who just can't cope anymore - I know this for a fact after helping an ex-serviceman who only 3 yrs ago was enjoying the praise of the nation, and after one or two incidents to many can't deal with anything more then just surviving at the most basic level on the streets. It's tragic to watch, he's a great bloke, who has absolutely nothing. I've also seen another homeless women who asked for nothing turn her life around after a little bit of luck came her way fom a stranger she's never seen since.

2) Any of us can end up homeless.

Based on that, and despite the fact i've said people shouldn't help if it's not for them, it gets a little tiring seeing the same lies spouted claiming this and that about all homeless people.

That's my point, and only ever been my point.

• Like 1

I do agree, that I could do that. I might cause the ruination of my job, my marriage, my family, loose my home. But, I could do that. But, that would fall under my argument of being Stupid about it. I suppose I could stay up an extra hour every night, and work on this problem, and seek allies and funds, and organize the building of a facility. But... The problem just does not concern me enough that I want to do that. My time is precious to me, and so I do what I do.

By all means, if this is a priority for you, and you get enjoyment from it, proceed.

I'd point out that the things a person can do to help the community are nearly endless.

Yes with family and work life it is hard to give up spare time but even an hour a week helping out is invaluable. The shelter that was set up 22 years ago started off as a small hut that was kindly allowed to be used by my Dads local Catholic Church. It was very humble beginnings but recently won the Queens MBE award for volunteers... which would of chuffed my late Dad to bits! Anyhow nice talking with you :st

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

No individual can solve the plethora of demands on their money. I support 3 charities in Spain, but with so many begging bowls being thrust in your face every day on the television then there is a point where you have to say "No more". I am being asked to donate money for Snow Leopards, Tigers, Monkeys, Dogs, captive bears, food shortages (in many parts of the world), homeless, mentally challenged, ... the list just never, ever,ends.

Let the Governments and Religions address these problems - god only knows they waste huge amounts of money on cronyism, idolatry, and slush - funds...

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

Much too late to edit post #129 my apologies with a horrendous grammatical error: "there's not their's" oops! :blush:

• Like 3

No individual can solve the plethora of demands on their money. I support 3 charities in Spain, but with so many begging bowls being thrust in your face every day on the television then there is a point where you have to say "No more". I am being asked to donate money for Snow Leopards, Tigers, Monkeys, Dogs, captive bears, food shortages (in many parts of the world), homeless, mentally challenged, ... the list just never, ever,ends.

Let the Governments and Religions address these problems - god only knows they waste huge amounts of money on cronyism, idolatry, and slush - funds...

You know its kinda funny but I was having a conversation with my mum on her weekly shopping at the supermarket. They have, every single day, a different charity lot with their buckets jangling,, standing right by the exit or even the tills... and looking you in the eye expectantly on the way out and making 'some' feel perhaps a bit bad for not donating. My mum is one of those who feels obliged to offer some change every time.

I had to tell her.. that its NOT a charitable thing if you're made to feel guilty in order to give. You cannot force charity on anyone, and nor should anyone try that. True charity is the selfless act of giving for a purpose. I give my clothes/shoes to charity shops. Is that worth any less than popping 2-quid in a bucket? Hell no - my clothes probably get sold for more

I sent some cash to the cardiac ward at the hospital I was treated in, FOR THOSE PEOPLE I was REALLY TRULY grateful;

I buy a Poppy every year for remebrance, on those times I will give a handfull of change (as do many others)... I often buy my xmas cards from Charity shops too...in the belief my money will be distributed to whomever the collect for. I buy regular lottery tickets who DONATE MILLIONS to charities. In fact the last I heard they gave over 28 BILLION to various groups - and every lottery ticket buyer contributed to that Thats pretty much it

In short, I cant and wont give to every charity or even many, and for that I do not feel guilty.

• Like 1