Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smartphones creating Zombie Apocalypse?

Lilly

Perhaps this is a subconscious reason i hate to answer a call on my mobile. That, or i really don't like the people calling.

• Like 2

technology has already made us zombies.. eg microwaves, cars, elevators and even video games

• Like 1

Exactly why I haven't got one.

Bloody things, I have lost count of the number of times people have broken away from me mid-conversation to respond to their phones.

At first I just assumed I was boring, then when I saw it happen all over the place I decided I do not want to fall into the phone trap.

So I just ignore people from behind the screen of my laptop instead. ;)

• Like 3

The text msg about 'my cute little red shoes that match my outfit perfectly' trumps conversation with the real people you're dining with.

edited to add *eye roll*

Edited by Winter Summer
  • Like 3

Exactly why I haven't got one.

Bloody things, I have lost count of the number of times people have broken away from me mid-conversation to respond to their phones.

At first I just assumed I was boring, then when I saw it happen all over the place I decided I do not want to fall into the phone trap.

So I just ignore people from behind the screen of my laptop instead. ;)

You don't even own one? Impressive. The real damage that cell phones (mobiles) have done is they've made every one extremely impatient. Especially those too young to remember when your phone was in your home attached to the wall and when you weren't home people just had to wait until you were to speak with you.
  • Like 2

Hmm, the article devotes most the content on cell phone distractions and obsessions, and only one small paragraph on the dangers of microwave radiation. Personally, I would be more worried about a continuous microwave transmitter millimeters away from my brain.

• Like 1

You don't even own one? Impressive. The real damage that cell phones (mobiles) have done is they've made every one extremely impatient. Especially those too young to remember when your phone was in your home attached to the wall and when you weren't home people just had to wait until you were to speak with you.

I have had them in the past. the last time was about 3 years ago. It got stolen from my car, while deciding what replacement to get I found I didn't really need one.

I get the odd mishap every now and then, like turning up for football when its been cancelled, and people moaning that its hard to get in touch with me but apart from that life is more peaceful.

I also love it when interacting with retail staff etc who ask for a mobile number with personal details, they never believe me when I tell them I have no mobile phone.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

I have had them in the past. the last time was about 3 years ago. It got stolen from my car, while deciding what replacement to get I found I didn't really need one.

I get the odd mishap every now and then, like turning up for football when its been cancelled, and people moaning that its hard to get in touch with me but apart from that life is more peaceful.

I also love it when interacting with retail staff etc who ask for a mobile number with personal details, they never believe me when I tell them I have no mobile phone.

Exactly that part about the people moaning. That's the part that bothers me. Impatient.
  • Like 1

I so very much agree with the gist of that article!

It is fascinating human behavior to observe, though somehow a bit depressing.

It is easy to believe that the brain develops differently somehow, when exposed to computers at such a young age. Can't help but wonder about the trajectory of the human race with this influence.

Brave New World?

My main phone is still a landline in my home, but of course a cell phone is necessary for business purposes. I still have a flip phone, not a smart phone. Lately, it has become a conversation starter, almost a chick magnet. :tu:

• Like 1

As a twenty one year old with a smart phone (and a cache of other devices), I really hope this isn't some broad generalization here. Some of us do do actually appreciate having the sum of human knowledge at our finger tips (and we can actually retain that knowledge, thank you!) and can take the time to appreciate the finer things in life as well.

Granted we still have a weakness for cat videos....

• Like 2

As a twenty one year old with a smart phone (and a cache of other devices), I really hope this isn't some broad generalization here. Some of us do do actually appreciate having the sum of human knowledge at our finger tips (and we can actually retain that knowledge, thank you!) and can take the time to appreciate the finer things in life as well.

Granted we still have a weakness for cat videos....

The exception which proves the rule? (I never really understood that phrase.)

As a geezer I remain astonished at how 2 friends will text each other while in the same dining area, barroom, etc.; how some individuals do with texting technology what can just as easily be done with human conversation and relationships. Yep, I'm decrepit. . .

Edited by DeWitz
  • Like 1

I finally bought a SmartPhone again last weekend after being without one for about 5 years. Mostly, I don't treat it any differently than I would have my regular phone. I do use it when I'm riding the bus to pass the time. I really only bought it because my workplace uses them as access keys, via an app, to log on to the corporate network from home. I make every effort to never work from home, but ok. LOL.

Perhaps this is a subconscious reason i hate to answer a call on my mobile. That, or i really don't like the people calling.

I'm this way as well, I think it's the idea that you're always vulnerable to someone being able to contact you and say things you may/may not want to hear over the phone. Landlord/Death in the Family/Financial issues/etc.

Or I'm just scarred by technology and ****ty experiences.

• Like 1

I'm still using a Nokia from over ten years ago that was given to me by a woman in her late 80's.

I am upgrading though soon. It'll be weird having 'credit' on my phone seeing as how I've never topped up once in my life.