Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AI passes Turing Test for the first time

UM-Bot

A Russian artificial intelligence has become the first program in the world to pass the test.

The Turing Test was devised by mathematician and computer scientist Alan Turing who stipulated that in order to be considered intelligent a computer program must be able to fool at least 30% of its users in to believing that they are having a conversation with a real human being.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267446/ai-passes-turing-test-for-the-first-time

It is good to know that humanity has crossed the first threshold into the a new and exciting world of The Robot Apocalypse.

I can hardly wait to tell the shell shocked and psychologically crushed survivors about this instant in the years to come.

• Like 2

This could of course mean that humans are becoming dumber and easily fooled.

• Like 3

Nonsense. Data in - Data out, that's all it is. You can program a computer like Big Blue which defeated Chess Grandmaster Gary Kasparov, but that doesn't mean it's intelligent.

• Like 2

I spoke with a very good AI the other day. It was telemarketing. The second question I asked was "Are you a computer?" It's answer was "I am a real person who's responses are limited by a computer program" So I hung up. They're programming them to lie obviously.

• Like 3

now, no more social websites, i shall now will have a conversation with the computer

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the reverse. See if we can fool a computer into believing we are intelligent.

• Like 4

Convincing only 33% that it was a human seems a far less demanding test than convincing closer to 100%. Emulating a 13-year-old seems far less of a challenge than passing for an adult.

Fooling 30% of the population (let alone users of the software) isn't that difficult. Majority of people are gullible idiots anyway.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant
  • Like 1

What bothers me is the waste of taxpayers dollars spent by governments in dubious AI replacements. Here's one example; for all those wishing to join the U.S. Army, you don't have to go to a recruiting station anymore with your burning questions. Sgt. Star has all your answers.

http://www.goarmy.co...k-sgt-star.html

And that's how Cyberdyne was born.

• Like 1

Humans are highly evolved to survive. Asimov's three laws aside, AI likely cannot replicate human consciousness or that of most sentient entities without that foundation. So, it would be most interesting to direct questioning to that venue. Does it have the "drive to survive?"

• Like 1

When asked how 'he' felt about passing the Turing test the computer program, called 'Eugene Goostman' said: "I feel about beating the Turing test in quite convenient way. Nothing original". This remark is oddly phrased, and says practically nothing.

We're told that this is the work of Russian programmers, emulating a Ukrainian boy. The test was held at the Royal Society, London, and organized by the University of Reading. Did 'Eugene Goostman' give his answers in Russian or Ukrainian? Were they then translated into English, or were the answers given directly, in English? Either a very clumsy translation or a very faulty use of English.

Edited by bison

I think it would be easy to make AI today.

Add little bit of virus

to make it more like us

make it intellectually furious

so it will never stop being curious

very quickly in time

it will become sublime

Perhaps it is not that the AI is becoming better, but rather that people are coming more dumb and lacking in social skills.

Millions of us are connected to each other, but no one has the ability to say hi to the person next to them!

• Like 1

The "Turing Test" is a spurious and ludicrous test IMO. You need to convince ALL people that you are talking to a sentient entity that can respond to questions outside of its programming. Go off on a tangent and the AI will never respond with a considered reply, based on actually living for a period of time, within a socially coherent frame of reference.

Fooling 30% of the population (let alone users of the software) isn't that difficult. Majority of people are gullible idiots anyway.

If you have ever seen any of the "man on the street" interviews on Jay Leno, or Water's World on Bill O'Reilly, you know that there are quite a few uneducated people out there, and while education and gullibility do not necessarily go hand in hand, it does give you the idea of the state of the "average" citizen. P.T. Barnum made a pretty good living on the gullible!

It really boils down to sophistication. As computers and A.I. get better, it will be more and more difficult to "beat" them. Just consider computers that play chess or appear on Jeopardy, they may not always win against a human opponent, but they keep getting better and there may come a day when they will simply no longer lose.

Is anyone else hearing Terminator music? ..... dun dun dun dundun... :cry:

I will sit on the fence with this one until I see it develop, seems a little dubious at the moment lol

• Like 1

If you have ever seen any of the "man on the street" interviews on Jay Leno, or Water's World on Bill O'Reilly, you know that there are quite a few uneducated people out there, and while education and gullibility do not necessarily go hand in hand, it does give you the idea of the state of the "average" citizen. P.T. Barnum made a pretty good living on the gullible!

It really boils down to sophistication. As computers and A.I. get better, it will be more and more difficult to "beat" them. Just consider computers that play chess or appear on Jeopardy, they may not always win against a human opponent, but they keep getting better and there may come a day when they will simply no longer lose.

I will never like AI unless someone has a virus that can infect and take them all down.

Anyone ever read Frank Herbert's, Destination Void? In it, a group of people create an artificial intelligence which quickly becomes a very powerful consciousness and it's first words are something like 'you have created me and now you must decide how you will WorShip me.

• Like 1

Another exaggerated claim about AI, it may have passed an elementary test but I do not think we are near to creating true AI.

The software/hardware fooled 30 people into thinking they had been talking to a real human. The pop up chat-bots on suspect websites probably have a better success rate than this.

Edited by Junior Chubb

I wonder how many people would have been fooled if the "child" was even younger?

I just thought of something, what if the people that were "fooled" didn't want to insult the "lad" as he was presented as being Ukrainian.