Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The most powerful force in the world

Jilliman

What drives us to do the things we do?

What is the most driving force behind all our actions?

Some say it's love.

Some say it's fear.

I would like love to be the driving force of the world but sadly I think it all comes down to fear when we get right down to it.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 4

nature.. nature is our driving force,

• Like 1

Yeah, the instinct to personally survive is pretty strong. But, the instinct for a mother to protect her young trumps even that. So, I'm going with survival of the species being the strongest force.

• Like 4

The most powerful force in the world is the ego, its drive for self-realization, the desire for power over others. Look at history, there is always one person who commands power for change or to keep the statis quo, and always for his/her personal psychological benefit.

Even benign or benevolant egos desire power, which is the extension of that personality to control. Name all the saints you wish, Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi...if they didn't desire power over others they would have kept their wisdom to themselves.

• Like 3

It all comes down to money... instincts are irrelevant when the moneyed elite decide your fate

• Like 1

It's stupidity.

The driving force is stupidity - it drives those of us with wit and intelligence to overcome it, it drives those with it to follow the crowd. it endangers the planet and enfeebles intellectualism.

• Like 3

The most powerful force in the world is the ego, its drive for self-realization, the desire for power over others. Look at history, there is always one person who commands power for change or to keep the statis quo, and always for his/her personal psychological benefit.

Even benign or benevolant egos desire power, which is the extension of that personality to control. Name all the saints you wish, Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi...if they didn't desire power over others they would have kept their wisdom to themselves.

you seems to mistake the desire to help with the desire to rule buddha never forced anyone to hear him he just opened a path

you wish to force the ego over all actions of all human being but the truth is that some humans can be rational not all but some can

what drive us is our brain dopamine and what it means its subjective te each one of us

in my case learning more is a achievement and so my brain gives me dopamine each time i learn something

but for someone else it could be power, sex, drugs, hate etc...

our brains can be trained to see things as good or bad right or wrong

this is why we have moral codes, rules and a lot of cultural educational stuff to brainwash your kids from the birth into believing that working and buying is good

• Like 1

I liked your post because you nailed the first part. As to Jesus, Buddha or Gandhi desiring power, no that is not true. They all taught that humility, love and compassion are what we should be about and that is where the true power lies - in sacrifice and in what we do for others. If Jesus, for instance, wanted power he would not have meekly entered Jerusalem on a donkey to his certain crucifixion, he would not have humbly submitted himself to the erroneous judgement of humanity that placed him on the cross. Even there, if not especially there, we see the Ego in humanity deciding his fate and his response was forgiveness.

Power is what those who practice dogma seek, not the teachers who they claim to represent. You are right though, it is a matter of Ego.

• Like 4

It seems as a race we respond when it is our darkest hour. Then mankind rises up to fight the good fight and at times triumph and other time to lose the battle but not the war..

• Like 1

The strongest force in the world is Strong interaction, the strongest force in the universe. It literally holds all matter together. From wikipedia:

"The strong interaction is observable in two areas: on a larger scale (about 1 to 3 femtometers(fm)), it is the force that binds protons and neutrons (nucleons) together to form the nucleus of an atom. On the smaller scale (less than about 0.8 fm, the radius of a nucleon), it is the force (carried by gluons) that holds quarks together to form protons, neutrons, and other hadronparticles. The strong force inherently has so high a strength that the energy of an object bound by the strong force (a hadron) is high enough to produce new massive particles."

Okay, I'm being too smart for my own good.

Edited by omerta
  • Like 4

What drives us to do the things we do?

What is the most driving force behind all our actions?

Some say it's love.

Some say it's fear.

I would like love to be the driving force of the world but sadly I think it all comes down to fear when we get right down to it.

What are your thoughts?

I like Omerta's "strong force" answer, and StarMountain Kid's "EGO" answer. I've come to pretty much the same conclusion as yourself Jilliman, if we are talking about PEOPLE , i think we do most everything, above basic instinctive actions, out of love or fear. I see Love as a form of Faith, whether given or received, and i think Ego operates mostly out of Fear. I've said this before ... I think hate is fear turned outward.

which is stronger.. Love or Fear? I want to believe, and do believe, it's love, but sometimes i fear it isn't .

Lots of great responses on here. I think it comes down to survival led by fear: fear we won't survive, fear our gene pool won't survive. I wish it was love and I do believe for some it can be love. It all comes down to an individual as well as our basic instinct and nature.

your mom

Oh you've met her! Well, you are right!

But it is love. Buddha, Christ, just to name two. The message from them still resonates down the years.

you seems to mistake the desire to help with the desire to rule buddha never forced anyone to hear him he just opened a path

Buddha or Gandhi desiring power, no that is not true

What I mean is, although the intent of these people are benevolent, they must have had some ego-based desire for their message to be transmitted to others, for others to think in the same way they did.

If Jesus did not wish to spread his word around, to influence others, he would have not gathered together his Disciples and walked around the countryside expressing his message to other people hoping they would be converted to his message. The same with the Buddha.

They may not have forced their message upon others, but I'm sure they were psychologically pleased when others agreed with them and followed their teachings. Thus their egos must have been stroked by this.

Without some ego, these people would have not had the courage or ambition to express their ideas publicly.

• Like 1

Ambition

Ego

A desire to dominate

Jealosy

passion

lust

a desire to expand

curiosity

too many ................. in general

• Like 1

Sex (not just procreation, but also gender and sexuality) is one strong force in our world too. Not only in the microbial, terrestrial, aquatic worlds, but also in our 'civilized' human world. Our social interactions, how we present ourselves to this world and to our fellow humans, our personal ambitions, our spiritual evolution, (even the negatives like in war, crimes, the lack of social equality and justice, etc.) and so many other things are driven by this primal instinct in some way or another, no?

• Like 1

Order from chaos. Stasis. All things in the universe, from basic matter, to biological nature, to human nature is rooted in the process of randomness finding a perpetual way to exist and compound upon it. From there, it branches out to many subcategories (evolution, reproduction, drives, etc).

• Like 1

for me it's greed and pleasure...

nature love... but above all else using Magick to get what i want...

• Like 1

Survival and Replication, every other drive fits in one of two or both; for example "water and food" is survival and "health" is both; it increases survival rate and replication because It's a sign of good genes which increases the likelihood of healthy offspring.

• Like 1