Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Detroit Streetview timelapse

OverSword

With the stock market hitting record highs day after day, it is easy to move on and forget that one of American’s once premier cities, Detroit, has been bankrupt for nearly a year. But out of mind doesn’t mean out of sight, especially now that Google has launched its street view Time Machine, which provides for 7 years worth of street images, capturing the time shift of the tumultuous period period starting in 2007. One blogger who decided to take this time lapse data and apply it to the city of Detroit is GooBing Detroit who, as the following time-lapse photos demonstrate, has captured Detoit’s unprecedented slow-motion collapse into death and decay in what is the closest we have to “real time.”

Perhaps what is most stunning about the following series of photos is not the ultimate fate of the bankrupt city, but how quickly a once vibrant metropolis has succumbed to blight and sheer desperation.

Hopefully not coming to a street near you.

Click here to see the pictures

• Like 1

I wonder where all the people are now and how they are surviving? Very tragic, I don't think I've ever seen such accelerated decay.

• Like 1

In some of these areas half the properties have been abandoned.

On the bright side, it appears that many of the trees and shrubs are doing wonderfully.

• Like 1

Is this the same town I've heard of where arson has become sport on October 31 each year?

• Like 2

Yes it's really amazing how quickly nature moves in isn't it?

Is this the same town I've heard of where arson has become sport on October 31 each year?

It's not just for Halloween anymore, it's a hobby.

[media=]

[/media]

I've seen these images on tumblr. Mostly on the abandoned blogs that I follow. [sighs] Detroit. What a sad case you are.

I've lived just outside of Detroit off and on for almost 20 years. It's not sad, it's actually beautiful. It's proof of what happens inside of a political vacuum where D's are the only party represented.

• Like 5

I've lived just outside of Detroit off and on for almost 20 years. It's not sad, it's actually beautiful. It's proof of what happens inside of a political vacuum where D's are the only party represented.

this

This is the progressive end game. Bright ideas and somber realities.

• Like 1

My ex's parents lived across the Ambassador Bridge in Chatham and it is definitely beautiful there. Democrats are obsessed with unions, and entitlement holders of lavish GM pensions made possible by the unions is what forced the company to move out of Detroit and seek cheaper production elsewhere. Just look at that place today. If GM came back with 100% of its production located there, I don't know how it wouldn't be cheaper than being scattered across the globe as they are now. I still have to figure out whether unions are part of the marketplace or not. But if by "vacuum" you're referring to corporate bailouts that obviously don't "trickle down" to the people as they haven't in Detroit, that's a bipartisan interest not a Democrat one. There've been burned down hulks left to rot in Detroit for a decade as the video above shows. The union pensioners did their share of toppling GM in a marketplace already facing an extremely competitive environment globally.

I can't help it not to see the seas of entitled autoworkers going on strike and suing for their butter. Their pensions should have been smaller. Their union should have been more financially astute and much less greedy, if it must be there at all.

• Like 2

My ex's parents lived across the Ambassador Bridge in Chatham and it is definitely beautiful there. Democrats are obsessed with unions, and entitlement holders of lavish GM pensions made possible by the unions is what forced the company to move out of Detroit and seek cheaper production elsewhere. Just look at that place today. If GM came back with 100% of its production located there, I don't know how it wouldn't be cheaper than being scattered across the globe as they are now. I still have to figure out whether unions are part of the marketplace or not. But if by "vacuum" you're referring to corporate bailouts that obviously don't "trickle down" to the people as they haven't in Detroit, that's a bipartisan interest not a Democrat one. There've been burned down hulks left to rot in Detroit for a decade as the video above shows. The union pensioners did their share of toppling GM in a marketplace already facing an extremely competitive environment globally.

I can't help it not to see the seas of entitled autoworkers going on strike and suing for their butter. Their pensions should have been smaller. Their union should have been more financially astute and much less greedy, if it must be there at all.

There is a place for unions - a fair days pay for a fair days work depends on proper representation. An employee against a corporation on their own is not guaranteed fair treatment, we see this in third world working conditions all the time.

Having said that, there is truth in what you say, fairness cuts both ways and greedy unionism destroys the very principles which it was designed to uphold and demonises what should be a right to fair representation of the value of labor, they should be ashamed of themselves for what they have brought on in abandoning their own principles. Corruption seems to be a human failing regardless of which side of the bargaining table folk are sitting on and Detroit is a perfect example of the end result of that.

• Like 1