Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can any scents induce deeper meditation?

Moeyoatey

Would peppermint or rosemary aid in a deeper mediation? If not are there any scents that might work?

good question, i don't know myself but i am interested to see what folks say

I believe so. Yes.

I have experimented quite a bit with scents; pure incense and pure aromatherapy oils.

Scents have been used for centuries to enhance all kinds of experiences. You name it, there's an enhancing incense or aromatherapy oil that may help align you to the desired frequency.

There is too, a difference between the ingested, topical and inhaled scents.

But when you ask about (deeper) meditative states; Then, i wouldn't personally equate Rosemary or Peppermint with deeper meditations, as such.

Rosemary is the scent for remembrance and forgetfulness. Good for study and retention of new knowledge.

The flowers of the Rosemary have been known as the blue roses of forgetfulness.

There is much folk law and so called scientific researches into the powers of pure essential oils and resins that you could take a look at.

The church incenses; Sanctuary, Priory and Cathedral, I find particularly affective but it really does depend.

Peppermint is used for sharpening the senses, the minds wakefulness in particular. A good pick me up for quizzes and exams.

There is so much i could write on this subject of scents…. The basics are that all scent falls into three basic categories; of the high, mid and base notes. It's like music. This is a symbiotic process of resonance and harmonics between each note and that this can be used in isolation independent of other notes or in symphony, balances or combinations to create different affects.

As we are all individual and at any given time, the notes that may be needed to enhance, readdress or balance ones own particular needs are variable.

How can i help?

• Like 1

Those are the only two scents that I have handy. Is there any particular scent aids in meditation?

Yes, there are many.

Other general incense that aid meditation are;

Nag-Champa-Agarbatti,

Sandalwood,

Frankincense,

Cedar,

Jasmine,

Sage,

Chamomile,

Benzoin,

Cypress,

Copal,

Acacia,

Woodruff.

Try them individually first before attempting any blending.

See which works best for you, I'd start with Cedar first but it really is up to you and what you have access to of cause.

When you say, (A deeper meditation). What kind of deep, do you mean?

You see, i may recommend something else completely, depending on the type of meditation you are trying to get deeper with…

For example;

If you are trying to enhance your breathe work, then i would be recommending fresh air/ Sea air or going up a snow capped mountain.

Whereas,

If it is to just go neutral and into a seat of quiet observation, then Basilica is a great bast all and allows for great quietening of a bizzy mind.

Whereas,

If it is to astral travel, then again i would recommend something else….Do you see what i am saying? It really depends what you mean by (Deep Meditation) There are so many forms.

Foot note: Generally speaking you will find any meditation practise easier during the Monday or Wednesday of the Full or Dark Moon phases, When the tides are at their highest or lowest points. Just thought you'd like to know…So, today would be affective in any enhancement. It being the full moon and all.

• Like 1

All senses can induce deeper meditative states, scent is no different.

I have found, the best thing for deeper meditations, is to practice doing long meditations, its simple what you practice you become good at. The mind will always try to distract you from practicing, IT does not want to be quietened down and controlled, it likes being the pilot of your life, it will come up with idea after idea to stop you from practicing and escaping its control. What about this what about that, play soft music, whale song, chanting, candles, crystals, dimmed lighting, a special mat, stand on your head, wear special clothing, turn the heating up, turn the heating down, etc. etc. Its all just part of the game it plays. I remember a teacher who warned his new students about our jailer, the tricky mind. He said when you go to practice tomorrow just as you start to quieten down you may think “Have you put the cat out?” you may think I haven’t got a cat! Your mind may think “have you ever thought about getting a cat?” and so it goes, on and on distracting from your goal of entering Peace. When we enter into the inner realm of Peace what does it matter what is going on outside of our body? The realm of Peace within us requires no external add on, It has been the same from ancient times we just need to turn the senses inside and surrender. Of course living in a beautiful environment is great but for someone who has made that connection inside, a cave could be just as good. Meditation is the practice of a life time but the mind wants instant results, funny thing is if you could just let go and surrender yourself to practice you would be there in a flash, when in that state of peace we all have within us everything is great. Just practice and after that go buy your scents or whatever. Practice makes perfect, sorry to go on but just practice meditation and enjoy your life that’s all that is required, it has took me many years to understand this, like a stone in a river over time the water will wear away the rough edges.

“Be yourself. Life is precious as it is. All the elements for your happiness are already here. There is no need to run, strive, search or struggle. Just be”. Thich Nhat Hanh

• Like 1

In the end it is all psychological. The music, scents, etc are all props. You don't really need any of it; just a plain room or even an empty closet (hey, who actually has an empty closet, right?) and either gaze at a wall or close your eyes.

See...the mind/ego is not a separate thing that has to be killed off or eliminated, they are all cute buzzwords that describe US.

It is not the "mind" that wants to wander but US as we ARE the culmination of what we call the "mind" which means we cannot be helpless against ourselves. We often have the tendency to wander because something isn't exciting enough so after a few moments we may want to get up and do something else.

Anywhoo, if you can eliminate the props then you eliminate your reliance on them do calm your mind and in the end you are far better off in the end.

Yes, there are many.

Other general incense that aid meditation are;

Nag-Champa-Agarbatti,

Sandalwood,

Frankincense,

Cedar,

Jasmine,

Sage,

Chamomile,

Benzoin,

Cypress,

Copal,

Acacia,

Woodruff.

Try them individually first before attempting any blending.

See which works best for you, I'd start with Cedar first but it really is up to you and what you have access to of cause.

When you say, (A deeper meditation). What kind of deep, do you mean?

You see, i may recommend something else completely, depending on the type of meditation you are trying to get deeper with…

For example;

If you are trying to enhance your breathe work, then i would be recommending fresh air/ Sea air or going up a snow capped mountain.

Whereas,

If it is to just go neutral and into a seat of quiet observation, then Basilica is a great bast all and allows for great quietening of a bizzy mind.

Whereas,

If it is to astral travel, then again i would recommend something else….Do you see what i am saying? It really depends what you mean by (Deep Meditation) There are so many forms.

Foot note: Generally speaking you will find any meditation practise easier during the Monday or Wednesday of the Full or Dark Moon phases, When the tides are at their highest or lowest points. Just thought you'd like to know…So, today would be affective in any enhancement. It being the full moon and all.

That is helpful advice. I think I'll start by trying the cedar or sage. I know the store I frequent carries both of those. For deep meditation, mainly I want to be able to meditate longer with more benefits. Right now I can only meditate for maybe ten minutes and then I lose my focus. Although I have some gains in that time, if I can increase my meditative state then it seems I would additional gains.

In the end it is all psychological. The music, scents, etc are all props. You don't really need any of it; just a plain room or even an empty closet (hey, who actually has an empty closet, right?) and either gaze at a wall or close your eyes.

See...the mind/ego is not a separate thing that has to be killed off or eliminated, they are all cute buzzwords that describe US.

It is not the "mind" that wants to wander but US as we ARE the culmination of what we call the "mind" which means we cannot be helpless against ourselves. We often have the tendency to wander because something isn't exciting enough so after a few moments we may want to get up and do something else.

Anywhoo, if you can eliminate the props then you eliminate your reliance on them do calm your mind and in the end you are far better off in the end.

I would agree for those who are more advance in meditating. For myself, I tend to to get bored with it and lose focus. I had a similar problem when I studied. I would lose focus every 10 minutes or so and then waste 5 minutes getting back on track. I started using rosemary and I can now I sit and study for two hours, no problems. I was going to use the same approach to meditation but it hasn't work, at least not with the scents I've used.

I've always liked white sage.

Would peppermint or rosemary aid in a deeper mediation? If not are there any scents that might work?

Deeper mediattion no. Help to focus the mind a certain direction only.

More than likely they will be a distraction; either the pleasure or the irritation as the case may be. However, I see no harm in it. There are plenty of other distractions anyway and concentrating on a scent is better than concentrating on an ache or an itch. I guess I'm pretty basic and like concentrating on my breathing.

• Like 1

Hi Frank, Like the post. Here is a quote from a fellow country man, Thich Nhat Hanh.

‘Thoughts come and go like clouds on a windy day, Conscious breathing is my anchor’

• Like 1

Hi Meoyoatey, If you can keep focused for 10 minutes you are doing really well, but then what is it that judges? I have a friend who recently started meditating and he was joking about, saying how good it was for his D.I.Y. jobs as every time he sat to practice he would think of all those little jobs he had not finished or bothered with and had done them all in an effort to shut up his noise maker. I don’t judge my practice any more, I just practice and go about my day. As the old Zen saying goes ‘Before enlightenment I chopped wood and carried water, after enlightenment I chop wood and carry water’ We all can get lost in trying to achieve some preset goals we have heard of or read somewhere, but everyone is unique, so in the end it is about what’s good for you. I do formal meditation mostly in the morning and so take the peace found in meditation into my day but for someone else another time of day may be better. Don’t strive to achieve some ideal just practice and enjoy life in a way that best suits you. Many people think that meditation turns one into a sort zombie but in fact it works in exactly the opposite way it opens one up to the fine detail of everyday life, there’s no need to go to a mountain top or shave your head, give up sex or even having a drink. Judgement is a barrier to feeling Peace, for just like ‘good teeth’ Peace can be missed, how often are you aware of your teeth? Peace is the same, you are in the heart of Peace right now! It is the fundamental base of your very Being! Right here right now, but it’s covered up by all the Noise of Mind, you are already ONE, you just haven’t realized it yet, but it will come to you if you desire union. Can I relate a short personal experience, It was during the birth of my second daughter, she was delivered and was whipped away to be cleaned and checked (our first daughter had died after just 2hrs and the nursing staff were being very careful with the second) the nurse let me go with her, we went to another room and the nurse said she had forgotten something and she left me alone with this new human being, I was enthralled and totally captivated just looking at her, laying there quiet and breathing, I realised something, that this new being had no language, no nationality, no favourite foods, no particular preference for anything really, she had no ‘stuff’ filling her head, she was just life itself. And now? she’s 33, she is Claire, she is British, she speaks English, she loves Pizza, she dislikes prunes, she loves dancing, she loves travelling, etc, etc. BUT really if we strip away all these likes and dislikes, all the programming, ideals, wants and desires, she is still exactly what she was at the moment of Birth, just life itself and we are ALL the same, we are all, just life itself, right now beneath all the programming. There is no need to add anything, we only need really to take away all that ‘stuff’ and return to the act of breathing and experiencing this gift of BEING in this human body on this amazing planet. As one of my teachers told me, when you wash a shirt you don’t put Clean into it, you just wash the contaminates /dirt out and the shirt returns to being clean. So set your goal to just practice meditation every day and it will bear fruit in the long term. I’ll shut up now, I have gone on far too long. Take care.

• Like 1