Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare: Friday 13th to coincide with full moon

Still Waters

No wonder the World of Tanks community seems to be licking more windows than usual.

Holy carp! I don't really believe in superstitions but today was crazy. I drive for a living and the last time I saw this much crazy on the roads was black Friday. I don't know what is going on around here but I hope it doesn't last all weekend, I don't know how many more near misses I can take.

Well we got through the 13th ok, i'm writing this on the 14th, as after all it is just a number and it's coincidental alignment with a phase of our nearest lunar body actually means nothing lol.

I had a good day, but oh boy did my work colleague suffer. We did have a joke that it was Friday the 13th, but that did not help his day go anymore smoothly. It started with

his boyfriend phoning him and telling him someone had stolen money from his bank account,

by mid-day my colleague still had not taken any money on his counter, which is really unusual

by the afternoon the boyfriend phoned him again to tell him he had just been fired from his job

by the time I was due to go home my friends area manger had phoned him to tell him she would not approve his holiday and they were having a promotion that week.

I am not superstitious, but have advised my friend to stay locked in a windowless basement for 24 hours next time Friday the 13th comes round.

• Like 1

Holy carp! I don't really believe in superstitions but today was crazy. I drive for a living and the last time I saw this much crazy on the roads was black Friday. I don't know what is going on around here but I hope it doesn't last all weekend, I don't know how many more near misses I can take.

Same here yesterday was a terrible day on the roads. We witnessed many near misses, T-Bones and just about anything else that could go wrong on the highways and byways... People think they are driving bumper cars!!!

And I found the dreaded full moon Friday 13th to be a wonderful day out with friends. Good food, great conversation, and maybe a little more shopping than I should have done. :/

If one fishes long enough, one will eventually find a fish. So, too with correlations. Reminds me of the bad statistics that positively correlated ice cream consumption with murder rates ... the reporter forgetting that murder rates also increase during the summer months as does ice cream consumption. Let us not forget correlation does not equate to causation.

Edited by highdesert50
  • Like 1

Well, Friday the 13th went pretty well for me. Went out with friends, met a guy who I thought was really hot. :D And the full moon was pretty. So I thought it was a nice day! :)

One of the purported origins of this superstition was that it was October, Friday 13, in 1307 when King Phillip II (known as Phillip the Fair of France) and the then Pope enacted a decree, and a papal Bull to round up all of the Templar Knights and to try them on spurious grounds of Idolatry, Sodomy and Devil Worship (Baphomet). It was of course just a ruse so that the King did not have to pay back any of the vast sums of money that he had Borrowed from the Templars. The Templars were pre / warned by associates in high places, so the vast majority of their wealth had been secreted aboard their ships an despatched to unknown destinations *HINT islands off of the west coast of Africa.

So really, only when Friday 13 coincides with October should it be considered unlucky...

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Mercury is in retrograde and there will be solar flares! This is the end!!! Break out your tin-foil hats and hide in the basement!

Those flares knocked out my country's power grid in the mid afternoon. DSL was down most of the day for the town I live in, too