Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was my Gameboy talking to me?

freshprince

Hello everyone,

When I was young boy, maybe around 8-10 years, I bought a game for the Gameboy Color through an ad in the newspaper of my hometown. The game was a compilation of ALOT of games, maybe 100 or something like that, all on one casette. It had a very unofficial feel to it, from the sticker on the casette to the menu - where you could select which game to play - and the fact that alot of the games were either duplicates, didn't function properly, or were in japanese only.

I later found out this kind of casette isn't that rare to come by - it's called a multicart, you can read about it on Wikipedia if you want.

Anyway, the story; it was a really long and boring afternoon and I was playing the game with my older brother, either taking turns or watching him play, I don't remember. We were playing a simple platform game from the casette, where you controlled Snoopy from the comic strip Peanuts. I think it was a bootleg game, fanmade or something like that, as I haven't been able to find the game mentioned anywhere on the internet.

The gameplay was really repetitive, as simple platform games often are, and we were playing for hours. Everytime we completed a level, a new one would just start. At one point, I asked my brother "How many levels do you think there are?" because I couldn't understand that the game seemed to continue forever.

As soon as I had said those words, the screen changed to a picture of Snoopy lying on the roof of his doghouse, and above him a text saying: "More than thousand, take it easy". I was quite freaked out to say the least. I don't remember exactly what happened after that - I guess we quit playing pretty quickly, though..

This is how I remember it, anyway - it was a long time ago.

The reason I'm posting this experience is not so much to ask for explanations, even though I would like to hear suggestions!

I'm more interested to hear about any similar experiences or examples of things like this happening? I have often experienced coincidences LIKE it, such as a person on TV saying something related to what you are thinking or talking about.. but that's easy to just write off as a coincidence. My experience with the Gameboy, however, can't really be seen as a coincidence, can it? And if it was something supernatural (which I'm very open to in general) it still leaves me really puzzled, as all images, games etc. on the Gameboy would have to be put into the casette by the manufacturer. I can easily imagine a spirit moving a glass around on a Ouija board, or even writing on a wall.. but this is an electronic device!

So please, if you have something to share, I'd be very interested to hear it!

• Like 2

What age is this game boy? Some can talk as early as 2yrs-old!

p.s. Welcome to UM, Prince! :)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 6

Why did you not try again at another time to see if it happened again?

Although "More than thousand, take it easy". means nothing unless we can see what this actually meant, it may have had nothing to do with what you were asking and was part of the game, just a coincidence it came up at that time, or maybe not a coincidence considering you were playing it for such a long time, surely there must have been other messages along the way,......nothing supernatural about them.

• Like 1

Maybe it was talking back to you. . . Welcome aboard, fp.

So please, if you have something to share, I'd be very interested to hear it!

My Xbox always talk to my left shoe but is ignoring me totally. My left shoe is ignoring me also since a week or so.

• Like 2

If I rememebr correctly the Gameboy Colour had no microphone, so any voice interaction would be coincidental and the memory of the coincidence will have been embellished over time.

Welcome to UM though Fresh Prince...

I thought your first post would be a story all about how your life got flipped turned upside down. ;)

• Like 6

Did the game have a score counter? Maybe your score had just passed a thousand.

Regardless, that is a pretty big coincidence. I wouldn't call it supernatural though.

• Like 2

Was that game "Snoopy's Magic Show" because it had 120 levels.

Gameboy's don't use "cassettes" but cartridges.

But I am inclined to think it was merely coincidence and since this happened so many years ago it is possible you may have overlooked certain events, recalling only the snoopy thing.

• Like 1

I would chalk it up as mere coincidence, I cannot even recall the sheer number of times I've been singing a song and it suddenly comes on the radio. Or even playing a game wondering when i'm going to make it to a boss or checkpoint and viola it mysteriously appears. I even remember having a similar occurence as you when playing friday the 13th on nes, though I can't remember the specifics as it was over 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I've been singing a song and it suddenly comes on the radio.

Even stranger is think about a song you haven't heard in a while, and find it on the radio as soon as you turn it on. As for the OP, I haven't a clue. I couldn't find any type of snoopy platformer for the nintendo gameboy. Might have been a glitch fan made game.

I found the rom, I will examine the game and come back with myfindings

Thanks for the feedback from everybody! It's nice that you take the time to answer this - I'm still interested to hear about similar experiences, if anybody has anything to share! And Brian, what ROM did you find? I'm fairly certain that the game WASN'T Snoopy's Magic Show, but I'm still interested to hear what you discover either way :)

• Like 1

I'm more interested to hear about any similar experiences or examples of things like this happening? I have often experienced coincidences LIKE it, such as a person on TV saying something related to what you are thinking or talking about..

This kind of phenomena is often refered to as Precognition, a form of extra-sensory perception. Such idea is not accepted by the scientific community but you can find some interesting research about it in the field of parapsychology.

The basic idea is described here: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Precognition

Edited by sam_comm

That's freaky when the game boy could not hear u but something did

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

And to everybody who, without a doubt, have been holding their breaths, anxiously waiting to find out more about the gameboy:

I talked to my brother, who remembers a bit more, and he says that the game would indeed, from time to time, show "random" messages on the screen. I tend to lean towards the explanation that, like someone suggested earlier in the thread, it had something to do with score or some other part of the gameplay.

Whether our experience was just a coincidence, or maybe something along the lines of synchronicity, I can't judge - but it's not really important either. It was fascinating regardless of the explanation! Thanks for everybody's thoughts!