Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Islamic State in the Levant Advances

DeWitz

So...Al Queda is back to being the "bad guys"? Ugh. No one believes this propaganda any more. Not that the people in charge care what we think.

LOL! This ISIS group is so bad, Al Qaeda thinks they are bad. now that's bad!

Absolutely - and it goes as deep as thousands of years can make hate grow. These guys (ISIS) want to re-establish the Islamic Caliphate. A world government controlled by sharia law. Those who have been looking the other way and making excuses about how these "fanatics" don't represent the mainstream of Islam might want to wake up and look around. If Iraq were to fall, then those "extremists" will control about 10% of the WORLD'S oil. I'm not sure, short of a nuclear detonation, what it's going to take to make the west realize that this is a very real and deadly situation for freedom loving people. If Iran moves in to fight for the Shia side against ISIS (Sunni) then Obama will do nothing and less than 3 years after the US left, Iran will essentially own Iraq. Lovely.

The only way it will affect me is the cost of gasoline. Other than that, *if you don't live there*, who gives a ratz ***?

The US/Brits shouldn't be "nation shaping" in that hemisphere anyway. Let's get the bleep out ASAP.

• Like 2

It seems some people are forgetting whose mess is this.

BINGO!

Good shot, Jeem!

Ah, so it's the Progessives' fault, of course. It couldn't possibly be the neoconservatives' fault for invading the damn place in the first place 11 years ago, of course.

Really, Admiral!?!? When has US foreign policy in the ME *ever* changed? It matters not whether the President is Liberal or con, it just stays the same all the time,,, "Everything for Oh, Israel"

You know, LIBERAL Jimmy Carter who penned, "Palestine: Peace or Apartheid"....?

He is the same person, when sitting as US President that gave Israel everything they needed to build their Apartheid system.

Think the sitting Prez is really in charge of foreign policy in the ME...? I sure don't.

I got an idea, maybe the President might like it. First Bomb their airports, that will make them unable to go anywhere else with their nonsense. Then start dropping food, lots and lots of food. Maybe some nice beans and rice, along with some seeds for planting, stuff that will grow there, if anything. Maybe then their brains will start working and they will realize it is ones who are filling their minds with bull **** and profiting off it and living in the big palace, then sending people to stomp all over their garden who are the problem. I hate it when people stomp all over my garden it makes me mad.

I got a better idea, why don't we just get the **** out of the ME Nation Shaping Industry altogether?

This is indeed sectarian violence. And I do tend to agree with And Then than Iran is going to be the ones that ultimately comes and helps, if the Iraqi's can't get their act together. The current rulers of Iraq are Shiite as is Iran. Al Qaeda is Sunni as is the rebels.

As for the endgame. The endgame for us was the removal of Saddam and elimination of weapons of mass destruction. We did that. That's it.

If 12,000 Iraqi military decides not to fight against 800 militants then so be it. I'm not willing spill one drop of American blood for someone that won't even fight for themselves.

Yah, and how did that work - taking out the Strongman Hussein?

wunnerful'

• Like 1

Sooo... should we have an Unexplained Mysteries betting pool on whether ISIS will actually advance on Baghdad ?

I'm in! I'll spot anyone 3-1 odds ISIS takes Baghdad by July 1.

Ahhhh, that's in "bit coins" of course :whistle:

Only justin bieber can fix the situation in ME but amireca is not willing to use it's advancd

Weapons

Well, maybe if we also send Kim Kardashian, the situation can be fixed.

:clap:

Didn't the intervention in Iraq turn out well in the end.

Bush and his NeoCon cronies should be hung draw and quartered and fed to the wolves for the disaster he has created.

Br Cornelius

Good Brother, couldn't agree more - so long as we can include any Democrat that signed onto the Iraq invasion, like

Hillary Bonehead Clinton and John Kerry!

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

Only justin bieber can fix the situation in ME but amireca is not willing to use it's advancd

Weapons

He's actually Canadian; even the US draws the line somewhere.

ISIS have done well thus far because the local populations have been broadly supportive of them. The national army in those regions had been deprived of equipment, training, leadership, and wages. They hated the central government (or at least where not supportive of it), and hence disbanded and fled.

As ISIS moves out of its 'natural' Sunni territory, the support will wane. At the end of the day, ISIS has no artillery, armour, or aircraft. It has neither the training, nor the communications equipment - to co-ordinate large troop movements. A single British Mechanised Brigade, let alone an army, could stop them dead in their tracks.

I suspect that ISIS has reached its 'high tide' mark, and will struggle to acheive any further significant military victories. The only way it can 'win' now is if the Central Government collapses, and effectively invites ISIS in.

Just read an article about the militants. Apparently they invaded a police chief's house at night, decapitated him on video and posted it on twitter commenting on what they use as soccer balls.

ISIS have done well thus far because the local populations have been broadly supportive of them. The national army in those regions had been deprived of equipment, training, leadership, and wages. They hated the central government (or at least where not supportive of it), and hence disbanded and fled.

As ISIS moves out of its 'natural' Sunni territory, the support will wane. At the end of the day, ISIS has no artillery, armour, or aircraft. It has neither the training, nor the communications equipment - to co-ordinate large troop movements. A single British Mechanised Brigade, let alone an army, could stop them dead in their tracks.

I suspect that ISIS has reached its 'high tide' mark, and will struggle to acheive any further significant military victories. The only way it can 'win' now is if the Central Government collapses, and effectively invites ISIS in.

This offensive has exposed the weakness of the military though. I agree that ISIS is just a rag tag rablle that could not stand long against a determined force... but ou first have to HAVE a determined force and that is all the problem here. Civil war is the most likely outcome - and our government should have seen it coming. I have no doubt that the military have been telling Obama just that for quite awhile.

You're selling something NO ONE is buying. This is just a continuation of the Sunni Shia dance that has been going on since one tribe got greedy against another tribe. Frankly Jeem I could care less anymore how many Muslims kill other Muslims. But whichever side wins will come for the "infidels" because NO AMOUNT of blood will ever be enough for these people. If they could kill every Jew and Christian and non Muslim on the planet they still would keep fighting each other - it's what they DO. And the world may one day get sick enough of it to put an end to it with extreme prejudice, as they say. :tu:

You know And Then simply denying won't change the fact.Terrorist take advantage of instability of a country.This is what we are seeing in Iraq.And we all know why Iraq is unstable it was the US invasion.As former defense minister of Iraq chemical Ali said that US is leaving Iraq in the mouth of an wolf

The US/Brits shouldn't be "nation shaping" in that hemisphere anyway. Let's get the bleep out ASAP.

That reminds me Hitler also tried to shape Europe now US/Brits are trying to do the same in ME well where is the difference

• Like 1

You know And Then simply denying won't change the fact.Terrorist take advantage of instability of a country.This is what we are seeing in Iraq.And we all know why Iraq is unstable it was the US invasion.As former defense minister of Iraq chemical Ali said that US is leaving Iraq in the mouth of an wolf

These "terrorists" are Sunnis who want to create an Islamic state ruled under sharia, no? Yes they are taking advantage of the current situation there, you are absolutely correct. And YES, the US invasion to depose Saddam made the conditions ripe for chaos but that really isn't what's at the heart of this particular issue. The Sunni/Shia rift is at the root of it. Al Maliki is a Shia stooge for Iran and the whole idea of a single group from among the main 3 -Sunni,Shia and Kurd being given unending control over the country was not the plan the US had. The Iraqis allowed that to happen. As I recall the power and wealth were supposed to be shared equally. Sitting back now and simply blaming America may feel good but it solves nothing does it? I believe that from the moment our government decided to leave the Iraqis to their own devices the nation's fate was sealed. Iran will own them OR they will fall into a civil war very much like what's going on in Syria. I wish the US had built that multi billion dollar Embassy complex up in the Kurdish north. The Kurds are the only group who have been friendly to us. I also wish that our fearless leader would start arming the peshmerga with weapons sufficient for their self defense but it isn't going to happen because of Turkey.

What Rebels usually do is help themselves to equipment they've captured from Government forces. Probably fortunately, in this case they probably wouldn't be able to get together a training prgram quickyl enough to operate the Abrams and F-16s the West has generously supplied them with...

* in the News today: Blair: 'We didn't cause Iraq crisis'

The 2003 invasion of Iraq is not to blame for the current crisis in the country, which is the "predictable" result of western inaction in Syria, Tony Blair says.

Good to see that ol' Tony shares the same way of thinking as certain people here.

If that doesn't embarrass them, there's nothing on this earth that possibly could .... :innocent:

• Like 1

The worrying thing is they captured hundreds of weapons including anti aircraft and anti tank - but even more significant than that - they also captured the central bank in Mosul - with $450,000.000 US Dollars. they are well armed and well financed.

• Like 1

I suspect much of what ISIS captured in Iraq will find it's way to Syria to bolster the insurgency there. I agree that ISIS can't realistically expect to take and hold Iraq, or even a large swathe of it - Iran would almost certainly be invited to intervene and that would end ISIS's involvement in Iraq.

The relatively small ISIS force in Iraq will probably be left there - more in hope than expectation - but the majority of the materiel and money they captured will be used against Assad in the hope of turning the tide in Syria.

edit

Edited by stevewinn

I suspect much of what ISIS captured in Iraq will find it's way to Syria to bolster the insurgency there. I agree that ISIS can't realistically expect to take and hold Iraq, or even a large swathe of it - Iran would almost certainly be invited to intervene and that would end ISIS's involvement in Iraq.

The relatively small ISIS force in Iraq will probably be left there - more in hope than expectation - but the majority of the materiel and money they captured will be used against Assad in the hope of turning the tide in Syria.

Oh how confusing it is, for a simple Western leader, isn't it.

An aircraft carrier is headed there now and that is the one benefit they will NOT enjoy. Any massed movements of materiel will be bombed before it can be transferred.

Just read an article about the militants. Apparently they invaded a police chief's house at night, decapitated him on video and posted it on twitter commenting on what they use as soccer balls.

...it is just as bad as you have been hearing. And worse.Watch if you can.

http://youtu.be/yIvuMxwYBBc

* in the News today: Blair: 'We didn't cause Iraq crisis'

Good to see that ol' Tony shares the same way of thinking as certain people here.

If that doesn't embarrass them, there's nothing on this earth that possibly could .... :innocent:

Our Tone has now stated it was a "toxic mix of religion and politics that has created the [current] situation."

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

• Like 1