Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An Italian newspaper has claimed that the tomb of Dracula - the brutal Romanian leader linked to the modern vampire novel and films - has been found in the centre of Naples.

More than 500 years after Dracula's death, a report in Il Gazzettino on Tuesday claimed a group of academics believe they have uncovered the mystery behind his burial site.

http://www.thelocal....found-in-naples

• Like 3

I thought Tepes was killed in battle and left to rot on the field.

The best I could figure is they are basing this on the Heraldry of the tomb. It is NOT hard to imagine someone having similar heraldry in the greater history of Europe. I think it is coincidence and some poor Italian knight is probably buried there.

• Like 2

I thought Tepes was killed in battle and left to rot on the field.

It was not common to leave a noble behind after killed on the field. In fact nobody was let more than one or two days since the habitants of those lands were terrified by potentially spread of disease plagues .

And Vlad Tepes was not Dracula, he has not drank blood and was not a vampire. He was a royal king of his land in very harsh times and beloved by many ,in special poor. What hollywood and stocker did from true historical facts is a very poor and insulting story addressed against Romania and Romanian people.

Such shame! Whoa!

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

I thought he was buried in Romania

• Like 3

For sure. It is just that italians would need some more tourists....

• Like 3

Don't knock it. This could lead to a Dracula Ice-cream and more ice-cream choice is a good thing.

• Like 2

Don't knock it. This could lead to a Dracula Ice-cream and more ice-cream choice is a good thing.

They used to sell Dracula ice lollies back in the 70s,very nice if I remember rightly

• Like 2

Richard III found in a Leicester car park and now this ?! Something is going on here! :yes:JOKING before I get lynched lol

Well if this is truly the body of the evil Vlad it is an archaeological milestone for sure, and a great discovery!

They should open the tomb and see what he's wearing. He may have been dressed in his Romanian robes. I haven't heard that he has any descendants to check the DNA or maybe they could do one of those DNA tests that will tell what his ancestry is.

They opened the tomb where he was supposed to be buried years ago. Empty.

• Like 1

They opened the tomb where he was supposed to be buried years ago. Empty.

Geraldo Rivera, right?

• Like 3

They should open the tomb and see what he's wearing. He may have been dressed in his Romanian robes. I haven't heard that he has any descendants to check the DNA or maybe they could do one of those DNA tests that will tell what his ancestry is.

I wouldn't be surprised if they will do so, will find arabic roots. Most of voievods and nobles kings of that time, although fighting against Ottomans were blood related to the Sultan. Dark skin, big nose, smaller hight , black eyes , these are characteristics normally germans, hungarians, slavs don't have. There are some major historical discoveries leading to these believes but the Romanian government have opposed against dna testing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they will do so, will find arabic roots. Most of voievods and nobles kings of that time, although fighting against Ottomans were blood related to the Sultan. Dark skin, big nose, smaller hight , black eyes , these are characteristics normally germans, hungarians, slavs don't have. There are some major historical discoveries leading to these believes but the Romanian government have opposed against dna testing.

That's very interesting!

Moreover, if the first tomb was empty and this tomb is empty, does that mean he is still alive.... or Worse still he's still alive within the tomb!!!! eeek

• Like 1

I certainly hope they brought some garlic and a wooden stake! /endsarcasm, interesting discovery nontheless.

I certainly hope they brought some garlic and a wooden stake! /endsarcasm, interesting discovery nontheless.

So, we can agree that this "vampire" wouldn't be the sparkly kind, right?

• Like 1

This is a nice story but that is all it is.

Rather completely factually wrong in almost every aspect.

Tepes is not a nickname or anything, and most likely was an insulting reference to the Vlad later on in historical accounts of the Prince. The Germans at the time were writing all sorts of wild stories about the Prince, as we know today one can't believe everything they read, especially where gossip is concerned.

This is a nice story but that is all it is.

Rather completely factually wrong in almost every aspect.

Tepes is not a nickname or anything, and most likely was an insulting reference to the Vlad later on in historical accounts of the Prince. The Germans at the time were writing all sorts of wild stories about the Prince, as we know today one can't believe everything they read, especially where gossip is concerned.

Tepes is a nick name. In Romania the word teapa reffers to something sharp. Tepes is someone that uses tzeapa to penetrate with it. The nick name given to Vlad comes from abusing the most common procedure of execution/torture in mediaval times where by thieves, criminals and war prisioneers would have been let slide through their anus slowly a javelin until death.

His real name was Vlad Dracul from the House Draculesti (Dracul) in Romanian means Devil. So litteraly his family name was Devil. :-) Add an "a" to the end of his family name and it comes Dracula. He was also a member of the Monarchical order of the Dragons and a real Hero in Romanian history fighting until dead against Arab Ottomans invasions.

Once again a national <<HERO>> not a Hollywood character. He never drank blood and never ever became bat flying around and eating gypises hearts LOL like millions of Brainless people around the world might believe.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

Tepes is a nick name. In Romania the word teapa reffers to something sharp. Tepes is someone that uses tzeapa to penetrate with it. The nick name given to Vlad comes from abusing the most common procedure of execution/torture in mediaval times where by thieves, criminals and war prisioneers would have been let slide through their anus slowly a javelin until death.

His real name was Vlad Dracul from the House Draculesti (Dracul) in Romanian means Devil. So litteraly his family name was Devil. :-) Add an "a" to the end of his family name and it comes Dracula. He was also a member of the Monarchical order of the Dragons and a real Hero in Romanian history fighting until dead against Arab Ottomans invasions.

Once again a national <<HERO>> not a Hollywood character. He never drank blood and never ever became bat flying around and eating gypises hearts LOL like millions of Brainless people around the world might believe.

I thought Dracul meant Dragon, or is that a Hollywood translation?

I've seen enough movies to know what happens to people that open Dracula's crypt. Better that we find some of Van Helsing's descendants, me thinks.

I thought Dracul meant Dragon, or is that a Hollywood translation?

The word's interchangeable in older dialects.

Which is something a former forumite took as a personal slight as he was sure as anything that dragons were not only real, but God was a dragon.

Also, when they do the documentary about this discovery, who else wants it narrated by Sir Chris Lee?

Sir Chris Lee?

Saruman? He's a Wizard, not a vampire! :w00t: