Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 9 scariest haunted pubs in the UK

Waspie_Dwarf

Fancy a fright with your pint? The 9 scariest haunted pubs in the UK

Who doesn’t love a good ghost story?

Well, these nine pubs, dotted throughout the UK, have some pretty terrifying tales to tell. They may look like harmless locals but they’ve got us seriously spooked.

If you like your pint served with an uneasy sense of foreboding, then these are for you.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

Cool if I ever get to England I will go to one of these places

Well I would very much like to visit a haunted pub.. I think it would be bloody marvelous

Ah...now that does sound rather daunting. Kind of like the naive hunters who go 'down Maine' to do some hunting and end up getting lost and dead instead of bagging an 8 point buck.

• Like 1

Got to live the history behind most of these pubs...murder and deaths. Must of been something in the gin.

Today our pubs are a bit tamer, but instead of fancy a fright, many have now been downgraded to fancy a fight.

• Like 2

Got to live the history behind most of these pubs...murder and deaths. Must of been something in the gin.

Today our pubs are a bit tamer, but instead of fancy a fright, many have now been downgraded to fancy a fight.

Very true! I've been in a few scary pubs on my football travels,it wasn't ghosts but the locals who caused the fear!

• Like 2

This is why I am glad I live in America, a young land with neither violence or death.

Every bar I visit is as pristine and prefect as the Virgin Mary's morning breath and twice as ghost free as OJ Simpson's gloves.

• Like 2

Is it a violent past history that fosters a haunting? Or, is it a haunting that fosters a recollected violent history? Or, is it shrewdly marketing a haunting with history that fosters greater sales?

Weatherspoons has a few undead in it at any given time

• Like 4

The biggest fright in any pub is the prospect of running out of beer.

• Like 2

Aw hell, I'm not afraid of Pilgrims...I see Pilgrims all the time!

I live in Plymouth MA quite near the Plymouth Plantation. http://en.wikipedia....moth_Plantation

The pilgrims. Apparently America is England's fault. Sorry... ;)

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

There's every reason a pub should be haunted. After all, they do serve spirits, don't they? [My entry for the Worst Joke of 2014 Award.]

• Like 2

There's every reason a pub should be haunted. After all, they do serve spirits, don't they? [My entry for the Worst Joke of 2014 Award.]

<rim shot>

I heard about "The Viaduct" on TV one night! All I could remember that it was built on top of an old cell(s). I've been wanting to know the name of it so badly. I even want to visit the tavern. :D

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

the joiners arms ,caldewgate,carlisle has a ghost , the pubs nicknamed the blue lugs after a landlord who had blueish veigns on his ears ( LUGS ) a carlisle name for ears

The Nags head pub in Shrewsbury (My lovely home town) has a painting which is locked away, Whoever sees it apparantely goes mad and commits suicide. Yikes. It mentions it somewhere in this article http://www.strangeda...shrewsbury.html

Oops posted wrong link http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Spooky+Shropshire%3B+Phil+Brown+gets+into+the+Hallowe'en+spirit+by...-a079569022

Edited by CatFromHell
  • Like 1