Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

starving

danielost

There are people straving to death in this world. What we are doing about this? In The USA we turn half of our corn crop into bio feul. Now ford motor company is going to make tomatoes into plastic. The federal government throws away enough food to feed everyone. Further Brazil grows auger cane for bio fuel.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 3

Some humans keep insisting on having more and more children while some keep insisting on getting richer and richer, the two do not sit together nicely.

• Like 2

There are people straving to death in this world. What we are doing about this? In The USA we turn half of our corn crop into bio feul. Now ford motor company is going to make tomatoes into plastic. The federal government throws away enough food to feed everyone. Further Brazil grows auger cane for bio fuel.

We are going to encourage war and sell arms to the world. It's what we do best.

• Like 2

Not to come across as uncaring and cold but why is it the Wests job to feed the world? Especially an over populated world? Nature will find a sustainable balance with us humans, as it does with all species that grow bigger then their env. carrying capacity. :/

• Like 1

Not to come across as uncaring and cold but why is it the Wests job to feed the world? Especially an over populated world? Nature will find a sustainable balance with us humans, as it does with all species that grow bigger then their env. carrying capacity. :/

Considering some of the riches men are on the middle east and Africa has its share of rich people.

Why because we are our brothers keeper.

Why because we are our brothers keeper.

In that case can you please send me your life savings. I need money for a new place and since we're all "brothers" you surely won't mind helping me out? :) cheers.

• Like 1

In that case can you please send me your life savings. I need money for a new place and since we're all "brothers" you surely won't mind helping me out? :) cheers.

Don't think it would help I only have a hundred dollars.

• Like 2

Charity/donations to organizations who get the food to the hungry is one possible solution. A lot of corn isn't really suitable for human consumption, and so the numbers can be deceiving.

• Like 1

Charity/donations to organizations who get the food to the hungry is one possible solution. A lot of corn isn't really suitable for human consumption, and so the numbers can be deceiving.

Your correct a lot of corn doesn't help a lot. But, we could use those fields to grow other foods. But we are greedy bio fuels pay better than food.

I agree that we should help people help themselves if possible.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 2

Despite what was said about corn above, the truth is that edible corn has gone up since the USA started using it to produce bio-fuel, the effect this had was since corn is a main dietary staple in Mexico, especially amongst the poorest segment of the population, that the prices for those people to feed their family doubled overnight. But no big deal as long as we can have cheaper fuels and can afford to drive more and further poluting that air the entire time. The whole system really would appear a bit nuts when looked at from the outside.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

It is nuts looking at it from the inside too

• Like 1

People are always going to starve.

There is nothing to be done about it, if you give food to a people, that just means more people live to the potential age to breed.

Short of restricting the number of offspring a person has, all that is being done by giving food to the starving is making more people, who will then starve.

I said nothing can be done. In reality, nothing needs to be done. This is nature, things without resources die, the others live on and reproduce.

In this instance the things just happen to be humans

• Like 1

Let them eat cake.

Harte

• Like 1

There is nothing to be done about it, if you give food to a people, that just means more people live to the potential age to breed.

Short of restricting the number of offspring a person has, all that is being done by giving food to the starving is making more people, who will then starve.

I said nothing can be done. In reality, nothing needs to be done. This is nature, things without resources die, the others live on and reproduce.

And yet we resist nature all of the time don't we? Ever been to the doctor? It's likely several people that read this would have died without medication at some point.
  • Like 1

Humans are not part of nature we are above it.

Humans are not part of nature we are above it.

Tell that to the people who've gone through Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Blizzards.

However, what's being talked about here is IMO a social problem. If there is plenty in some places and starvation in others, if we have the ability to control our numbers but some have no acess to birth control, then the problem is one created by society (not by nature).

• Like 2

Tell that to the people who've gone through Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Blizzards.

However, what's being talked about here is IMO a social problem. If there is plenty in some places and starvation in others, if we have the ability to control our numbers but some have no acess to birth control, then the problem is one created by society (not by nature).

In fact, overpopulation is often a natural problem with natural solutions, in any animal species.

The solution, of course, is starvation and disease.

It is a "societal problem" because we choose to view it that way.

And yet we resist nature all of the time don't we? Ever been to the doctor? It's likely several people that read this would have died without medication at some point.

How many millions who are starving today would have never been born had we not already tried to alleviate starvation?

When you address starvation as if you can eradicate it, you create more people to starve.

I'm not saying don't address it, I'm saying that Scheming B is correct - you will always have people starving. One shouldn't pretend that society can eradicate this problem.

Harte

• Like 3

These "things" are people. By sheer luck neither you nor I happen to be one of them. It is depressing to see how many people think nothing needs to be done because they will die and the problem will therefore be resolved. Charles Dickens put a spotlight on this way of thinking in A Christmas Carol and very little progress seems to have been made since.

• Like 1

These "things" are people. By sheer luck neither you nor I happen to be one of them. It is depressing to see how many people think nothing needs to be done because they will die and the problem will therefore be resolved. Charles Dickens put a spotlight on this way of thinking in A Christmas Carol and very little progress seems to have been made since.

I'm aware they're people, that doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Humans are a part of nature, to say otherwise is to deny the impact the world can have on us.

I never said the problem would be resolved because it's not a problem. It's the way the world works.

Yes, be kind to others, yes, help those around you if you can.

But, don't think you're in a position where its your job to save the world.

People will die thats what people do.

We look at these starving dying people, and you feel pity for them. But they're part of a society that has been around since long before modern society was created, they've lasted this long without an intervening hand, let them be,. If they continue, fine, the way their society works then, If they die off, fine, their society was wrong and the human race will move forward like it always does.

Medication is a part of nature, because everything we have is a part of nature, our medication was made due to our minds capabilities to create. Our minds are the product of millions of steps of evolution. How then, can our natural minds create something that's anything but natural?

These emotional reactions to suffering wont help anyone, it will just be a bandaid and the next generation will see the same thing

• Like 1

Why should the US feed the rest of the world?

If people starve to death in famine prone areas of the world then perhaps they should use condoms instead of having 10 kids. Leaving beyond the means of your land, as is the case, always causes problems.

Maybe they need to put down their guns, pull up their pants, and grow a garden!

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

The bright lights of human compassion, empathy and kindness once again shine bright from the UM Forums.

• Like 3

if these people don't die, they will reproduce more people, who will themselves suffer once the resources they're given runs out.

effectively causing more people to starve and die.

By that wouldn't it make more sense and be kinder to allow those dying now to die, and lessen the number of inevitable suffering?

Edited by Scheming B