Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

50% of Americans believe in a conspiracy

UM-Bot

As much as half of the population of the United States believes in at least one conspiracy theory.

According to researchers Eric Oliver and Thomas Wood at the University of Chicago, the combined results of four surveys conducted between 2006 and 2011 show that belief in conspiracies is as strong now as it has ever been in the past.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267750/50-of-americans-believe-in-a-conspiracy

• Like 2

Coming from the nation that gave the world warmonger bush they will buy anything. Just clutch your bible, ar15, muh freedoms and "there's a coloured man in the white house". Most obese country in the developed world, I turn on cnn every other day and some school is getting shot up. Piers morgan tell you yanks how to behave and you won't heed his advice, china practically owns all of their debts.

• Like 1

Coming from the nation that gave the world warmonger bush they will buy anything. Just clutch your bible, ar15, muh freedoms and "there's a coloured man in the white house". Most obese country in the developed world, I turn on cnn every other day and some school is getting shot up. Piers morgan tell you yanks how to behave and you won't heed his advice, china practically owns all of their debts.

Piers Morgan, LOL! Britain, please take him back, ASAP.

• Like 9

Everyone believes in 1 conspiracy or another. Just because it isn't as out there as aliens in Area 51 or Illuminati doesn't mean it isn't a conspiracy.

• Like 6

i'm trying to figure out from the article what, exactly, the questions were that they asked the people surveyed. am i right in thinking that they just took those three questions listed, the percentages who said they believed them, and added them together? that doesn't seem like the most accurate thing.

Just a reflection of how much people feel they can actually trust their government right now.

Plus with all the vast conspiracy theories, (and proven ones) out there if your a reasonable person your probably bound to believe one( if you think everything is a conspiracy then there is probably a problem) . unless of course you have a blind trust for any and every official story :innocent: . In that case I have a bridge to sell you

• Like 4

Conspiracies have been proven to be true over the centuries and anyone that doubts that is an idiot. Oh but I'm sure there are no conspiracies going on now, right? I mean Just because a company owned by Harry Reid owns all of the land bordering the land they were trying to clear that Bundy rancher off of, and Harry Reid was labeling them all domestic terrorists, and they were ready to shoot a bunch of civillian's over a tortoise there was probably nothing conspiratorial going on there.

Edit to add I've never heard the one about the fluorescent bulbs and mind control. There is a conspiracy behind those extremely toxic bulbs but as per usual it was a financial conspiracy not nefarious mind control.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

i'm trying to figure out from the article what, exactly, the questions were that they asked the people surveyed. am i right in thinking that they just took those three questions listed, the percentages who said they believed them, and added them together? that doesn't seem like the most accurate thing.

Good point these are the only questions the article shows, and that dosent really say much. Iv never even heard of the last one

According to the results, 19% of Americans believe that the events of 9/11 were orchestrated by the government, 25% believe that the recent financial crisis was due to a small cabal of Wall Street Bankers and 11% even believe that the recent switch to energy efficient fluorescent lighting has taken place because the new bulbs make people more obedient and easier to control.

I hadn't heard of the last one either,who thinks them up?

I think it is natural to be suspicious of government, generally speaking they are the least trustworthy people we see, past experience should teach us that. I think it is natural in any situation to question and analyse what we have witnessed and draw our own conclusions. Sometimes it takes someone to form an opinion and others will agree and follow, that is the essence of a conspiracy theory I think, thus ends the neat and tidy part of it lol.

Unfortunately, the desire to see collusion, and deceit in everything can sometimes lead to rampant paranoia, giving us some of the more bizarre theories, some just plain stupid.

I for one do not discount conspiracies as a neutral observer, some are very tantalizing, and some, without opening up a can of worms and taking this post off at a tangent, are almost certainly closer to the truth than what we perceive and see spoon fed to us by the media, who fall into the second category of pond life as regards trustworthiness.

Therefore I don't think it is surprising that they should see the results they have from this, surprised it isn't higher to be honest lol.

Edited by Silent Trinity
  • Like 2

Good point these are the only questions the article shows, and that dosent really say much. Iv never even heard of the last one

According to the results, 19% of Americans believe that the events of 9/11 were orchestrated by the government, 25% believe that the recent financial crisis was due to a small cabal of Wall Street Bankers and 11% even believe that the recent switch to energy efficient fluorescent lighting has taken place because the new bulbs make people more obedient and easier to control.

that one was new to me as well. but not surprising; if there's something new out there, someone will somehow take it as a sign of impending doom.

New conspiracy, the 3rd one was made up on the spot to see how many people believed it

The us is run by a vast government entity made up of citizens voted into office by the millions of other citizens that live there.

Of course conspiracies exist, if they didn't nothing would get done.

• Like 2

Of course conspiracies exist, if they didn't nothing would get done.

it's true. me, i'm conspiring to eat some chips later today.

• Like 2

Well who underwrote this study? Sounds like they are trying to cover up something......

• Like 3

Statistics!

As I`m sure not all Americans were interviewed it should sound:

50% of all polled Americans believe in a conspiracy

• Like 1

I hadn't heard of the last one either,who thinks them up?

That one got my attention as well, makes one wonder about the validity of the poll as a whole.

I don't believe that America exists. It's just one big conspiracy!

I've never been there, and all those Disney photos could easily be Paris.

:w00t:

• Like 3

i figured more like 70%

Probably closer the 15-20%. It's just those 20% open multiple forum accounts! :devil:

• Like 1

Probably closer the 15-20%. It's just those 20% open multiple forum accounts! :devil:

lol

you could have something there

I think it is natural to be suspicious of government, generally speaking they are the least trustworthy people we see, past experience should teach us that. I think it is natural in any situation to question and analyse what we have witnessed and draw our own conclusions. Sometimes it takes someone to form an opinion and others will agree and follow, that is the essence of a conspiracy theory I think, thus ends the neat and tidy part of it lol.

Unfortunately, the desire to see collusion, and deceit in everything can sometimes lead to rampant paranoia, giving us some of the more bizarre theories, some just plain stupid.

I for one do not discount conspiracies as a neutral observer, some are very tantalizing, and some, without opening up a can of worms and taking this post off at a tangent, are almost certainly closer to the truth than what we perceive and see spoon fed to us by the media, who fall into the second category of pond life as regards trustworthiness.

Therefore I don't think it is surprising that they should see the results they have from this, surprised it isn't higher to be honest lol.

I don't think it's a desire to see collusion, so much as it is the frequent inevitability of it, if you know what I mean. Men have been colluding for a long time, and that's a very good way of putting it, thanks much. :tu:

• Like 1