Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

50% of Americans believe in a conspiracy

UM-Bot

it's true. me, i'm conspiring to eat some chips later today.

With whom? ;)

I don't think it's a desire to see collusion, so much as it is the frequent inevitability of it, if you know what I mean. Men have been colluding for a long time, and that's a very good way of putting it, thanks much. :tu:

I think with some type of conspiracies people do want it to be true.

People would rather when something horrible happen it be because a group of people in a dark room with suits on with a cigar drinking brandy plotted for it to happen. Instead of things being caused by ordinary everyday people. Because WE are ordinary people, and if ordinary people are capable of horrible things then WE are as well. It is much easier to want it to be THEM the ominous elite groups pulling the world.

Im not saying conspiracy theories are all wrong, I believe some of them and I dont trust governments . Im just pointing our from a pysch perspective why we would want conspiracies.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

You can claim anything with statistics, 81 percent of all people know that !

• Like 3

Probably closer the 15-20%. It's just those 20% open multiple forum accounts! :devil:

So we can put you down as a conspiracy believer? ;)

Edited by preacherman76

The us is run by a vast government entity made up of citizens voted into office by the millions of other citizens that live there.

Of course conspiracies exist, if they didn't nothing would get done.

Thanks! That was the best thing I read all day!!!! :lol:

Piers morgan tell you yanks how to behave and you won't heed his advice

Piers Morgan couldn't carry Larry King's jockstrap. He might sniff it, though.

• Like 1

I think it is natural to be suspicious of government, generally speaking they are the least trustworthy people we see, past experience should teach us that. I think it is natural in any situation to question and analyse what we have witnessed and draw our own conclusions. Sometimes it takes someone to form an opinion and others will agree and follow, that is the essence of a conspiracy theory I think, thus ends the neat and tidy part of it lol.

Unfortunately, the desire to see collusion, and deceit in everything can sometimes lead to rampant paranoia, giving us some of the more bizarre theories, some just plain stupid.

I for one do not discount conspiracies as a neutral observer, some are very tantalizing, and some, without opening up a can of worms and taking this post off at a tangent, are almost certainly closer to the truth than what we perceive and see spoon fed to us by the media, who fall into the second category of pond life as regards trustworthiness.

Therefore I don't think it is surprising that they should see the results they have from this, surprised it isn't higher to be honest lol.

I think that your take is quite realistic. We can go back and forth on 9/11 until we debate the subject in the nursing home. We can't "debunk" Operation Northwoods, though. It's best to examine each individual claim on its own.

• Like 2

This is one of the worst articles here ever. If you link back, it links a 'Russia Today' article that doesn't link to the actual study.

That's a major fail in my opinion.

• Like 3

So we can put you down as a conspiracy believer? ;)

Oh I certainly believe my fair share, and read up on those that actually happened. The ones I tend to believe just tend to be less spectacular than the ones that get the majority.

Edited by DecoNoir
  • Like 1

Oh I certainly believe my fair share, and read up on those that actually happened. The ones I tend to believe just tend to be less spectacular than the ones that get the majority.

Like 9/11, Sandy Hook, Boston Bombing? I agree. If anyone asked the question, "Are the major oil companies conspiring to fix the fuel prices?", any poll would get a landslide.

• Like 2

Why only 50% ?

Like 9/11, Sandy Hook, Boston Bombing? I agree. If anyone asked the question, "Are the major oil companies conspiring to fix the fuel prices?", any poll would get a landslide.

Exactly. My favorite historical conspiracy theory involved several prominent auto makers slowly buying out the much more efficient (and electric powered) public trolleys in Los Angeles. More or less completely eliminating them buy the mid 1950's.

Stuff like that I can believe, it's subtle, plausible, and perfectly legal to boot.

• Like 1

This is one of the worst articles here ever. If you link back, it links a 'Russia Today' article that doesn't link to the actual study.

That's a major fail in my opinion.

I can't believe everyone here is actually discussing this when its clearly a Russian conspiracy to make the American way of life look less appealing to the Russian populace... ;)

• Like 2

i gave one to my dad's pet mutt dog. i conspired to do it.

as for the actual study, it's here:

http://onlinelibrary....12084/abstract

can't access it myself, i guess.

As long as the dog conspired with you.

One person alone cannot conspire--it takes 2 minimum. :yes:

Why only 50% ?

As you already know, polls are very dependent upon how the question is phrased.

I expect the number is higher than that, depending upon how the question is phrased.

I beleive that there are many conspiricies that are true or hold some truth. Of course there are some that are just a load of horse hockey, Though I guess they could all be considered horse hockey until proven otherwise. Either way I like reading about them because they are all interesting stories and a part of me wishes they were true.

How do we know this study wasn't a conspiracy to make us believe in conspiracies?

• Like 1

How do we know this study wasn't a conspiracy to make us believe in conspiracies?

Or disbelieve them?

It is based on research from the University of Chicago,

that was commented on during an NPR,

show then picked up by Russia Today...

Actually PD, on second thoughts you are probably right.

Edited by Junior Chubb

I love a good conspiracy to start my day!

@DecoNoir

I used to work as a test engineer in Cambridge, Mass. One of the things we worked on was alternative fuels. Guess who would come in and buy up all the technology and shut it down? General Motors. Not surprised to see a conspiracy theory about electric trolleys.

• Like 2

Exactly. My favorite historical conspiracy theory involved several prominent auto makers slowly buying out the much more efficient (and electric powered) public trolleys in Los Angeles. More or less completely eliminating them buy the mid 1950's.

Stuff like that I can believe, it's subtle, plausible, and perfectly legal to boot.

My roommates grandfather invented an extremely fuel efficient motor in the 1950's it Switzerland. The patent was purchased from him by Mercedes Benz and the technology was never used.

• Like 3

We could all be driving around in cars that get hundreds of miles off a gallon of water. It's sad we all know it, the government knows it, the oil companies know we know it and yet we're still paying $4 a gallon for gas. It's so obvious that it isn't even a conspiracy any more.

No matter how hard I try to stand my ground, make a difference, when thinking about these types of problems, I realize at the end of the day I'm just another sheeple, letting the powers that be control and dominate my life. FK, I need a drink.

• Like 2

We could all be driving around in cars that get hundreds of miles off a gallon of water. It's sad we all know it, the government knows it, the oil companies know we know it and yet we're still paying $4 a gallon for gas. It's so obvious that it isn't even a conspiracy any more.

No matter how hard I try to stand my ground, make a difference, when thinking about these types of problems, I realize at the end of the day I'm just another sheeple, letting the powers that be control and dominate my life. FK, I need a drink.

You now have the option of electric or hybrid cars, time to put your money where your mouth is ;)

• Like 1

My roommates grandfather invented an extremely fuel efficient motor in the 1950's it Switzerland. The patent was purchased from him by Mercedes Benz and the technology was never used.

Interesting point OS, any more details on the patent?

Despite believable claims of nefarious actions from the oil companies on price fixing and rumours of technology stifling, fuel economy has always been a good selling point in the motor industry (especially in haulage etc). I would be nice to think that the patent was not used but rather modified. It would be great to know if your Grandfather planted the seed for one system in today's super economical Mercedes engines.

I know we are veering off topic here but while reading yours and praetorian-legio XIII posts this sprung to mind...

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspecial/sls_e-drive/eng.php