Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Households must recycle 70% of all rubbish

Still Waters

British households will be forced to recycle almost three-quarters of their rubbish, under European Commission plans for a tough new target expected to be announced within weeks.

A leaked draft EC report obtained by the Telegraph shows that Brussels is planning to propose a legally-binding target for 70 per cent of all municipal - household - waste to be recycled by 2030.

http://www.telegraph...s-Brussels.html

• Like 2

expect your council tax to go up to cover costs. - fancy the EU doing this when families are trying to manage in these economic tough times. another 3% on our bills easy.

• Like 1

This is probably the only thing that Brussels have ever said that I agree with....we can't keep throwing away at the rate we do.

However, our own government should be forcing this through for the good of our own country, and shouldn't be waiting for Brussels to say anything.

• Like 2

The main part of the 'rubbish' problem is not that people are throwing away 'rubbish' (or trash as we call it here)... But that companies make packaging that is excessive for what is bought...

IMO packaging should be bio-degradable, as minimalist as practical, and eliminated where-ever possible... For example: does a bar of soap really need to be in a cardboard box, wrapped

in plastic?... Does it really need to be wrapped in anything at all?

Cut down on the packaging, and you cut down on the 'rubbish'...

• Like 7

This is probably the only thing that Brussels have ever said that I agree with....we can't keep throwing away at the rate we do.

However, our own government should be forcing this through for the good of our own country, and shouldn't be waiting for Brussels to say anything.

that is why we need the EU - since most countries would choose to pollute themselves and their neighbours rather than internalize the costs of solving the problem. The improvement in environmental standards has been the single greatest achievement of the EU and we would be a lot dirtier and unhealthier is we relied on our sovereign governments to lead the way.

Br Cornelius

The main part of the 'rubbish' problem is not that people are throwing away 'rubbish' (or trash as we call it here)... But that companies make packaging that is excessive for what is bought...

IMO packaging should be bio-degradable, as minimalist as practical, and eliminated where-ever possible... For example: does a bar of soap really need to be in a cardboard box, wrapped

EU legislation seeks to force companies to take responsibility for packaging - hence it is the companies who pay for the recycling infrastructure. There are also many obligations on companies to both reduce packaging and take back end of life products at their own cost. This places considerable pressure on companies to reduce waste. Again none of this would have happened under the UK soverign government initiatives.

Br Cornelius

that is why we need the EU - since most countries would choose to pollute themselves and their neighbours rather than internalize the costs of solving the problem. The improvement in environmental standards has been the single greatest achievement of the EU and we would be a lot dirtier and unhealthier is we relied on our sovereign governments to lead the way.

Br Cornelius

Don't agree. We just need a government that makes a list of problems (like this) and then legislate to have them removed from the political arena, then make it very clear that these matters need addressing, they are not negotiable, and will remain so regardless of who is in power.

We don't need to EU for that, we simply need someone with the kahunas to say we need to take responsibility for ourselves and lead by example, not follow (and even then only because we have been told too).

Edited by The Sky Scanner

expect your council tax to go up to cover costs. - fancy the EU doing this when families are trying to manage in these economic tough times. another 3% on our bills easy.

That's the sad thing. When I take out the rubbish I always have a thought of how wasteful it is. The recycling system is crazy, it has been going donkeys ages but I am still unsure what you can and can't recycle. Cardboard is surely cardboard but my bin is frequently left because it is the 'Wrong type'.

By sorting out the system and making the people more aware of what is and isn't recyclable would probably save a fortune. However greedy councils will certainly see this as another cash cow to sting us to pay more money to pay for more £100k pa nothing jobs, horrendous sickness pay figures and pensions.

This is a brief snip of REAL jobs advertised by local authority paid by council tax!

Head of Polar Regions Unit

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

England

£54,788 - £115,616 plus benefits

Taking control of the policy-making Polar Regions Unit, you will lead the UK delegation to both the annual Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings and the Antarctic Fisheries Commission Meeting.

Most pointless job of the week

Strategic Director - Services for Older People

DERBYSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Derbyshire

£102,951 - £113,247 per annum

Your challenge will be to lead the integration and development of our services for older adults. You will forge shared objectives, implement cultural change and evolve new working practices to meet the challenges ahead.

How to burn £1/2m a year

Director of Research, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K

Director of Studies, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K

Assistant clerk's job of the week

Assistant Director

BRIDGEND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

Wales

£74k plus benefits

You'll be a strong leader with the drive and vision to turn strategy into meaningful developments and used to building partnerships with people from a variety of backgrounds.

Other tax abusers

Director of Adult Social Care and Health

LEICESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Leicestershire

£120,000 plus benefits

As Director, you will lead the Council's strategic response to the recent White Paper, embracing the public health agenda and building on our good relationships with the NHS.

Director - Children's Services

London Borough of Bromley

South London

c.£110k

You will be building on a very solid foundation as much has already been achieved by the existing team. If you have what we are looking for, you will receive our complete support in taking forward our integration agenda.

Chief Executive

North East Derbyshire District Council

Derbyshire, £106,000

You'll need to be a strategic thinker with the integrity to win the trust of colleagues and external partners alike. You'll also have the people skills - including a sense of humour - to work as a genuine member of the team.

Chief Executive

Mole Valley District Council

Surrey

£100k plus benefits

We are seeking an inspirational leader to take us into the future and further develop partnership working.

Strategic Director

Poole Borough Council

Dorset

£90,396 plus benefits

We need someone with a passion for local government and a real commitment to our long term plans. You will have a broad and mixed portfolio and should be ready for the challenges this will bring.

The pay rates are staggering and I bet the successful applicant will almost certainly have had connections with the council.

Here is some others

Commissioner for Victims and Witnesses

Veredus

West London

£120k

You'll: - champion the interests of victims and witnesses - advise the Government on how they should be supported - drive change and modernisation through the criminal justice system

Other tax abusers

Strategic Director - Children and Young People

Nottinghamshire County Council

Nottinghamshire

Circa £125,000 pa

We need now is an ambitious and determined professional to join our strategic directorate team and bring vision, make the decisions that matter, and provide the leadership that counts.

Corporate Director - Adult & Community Services

Durham County Council

Durham

£90k - £120k

It's a big job, covering adult social care and health, culture and leisure, adult learning and community safety. You would also work closely with our new Chief Executive on the overall strategic direction of the Council.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

That's the sad thing. When I take out the rubbish I always have a thought of how wasteful it is. The recycling system is crazy, it has been going donkeys ages but I am still unsure what you can and can't recycle. Cardboard is surely cardboard but my bin is frequently left because it is the 'Wrong type'.

By sorting out the system and making the people more aware of what is and isn't recyclable would probably save a fortune. However greedy councils will certainly see this as another cash cow to sting us to pay more money to pay for more £100k pa nothing jobs, horrendous sickness pay figures and pensions.

This is a brief snip of REAL jobs advertised by local authority paid by council tax!

Head of Polar Regions Unit

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

England

£54,788 - £115,616 plus benefits

Taking control of the policy-making Polar Regions Unit, you will lead the UK delegation to both the annual Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings and the Antarctic Fisheries Commission Meeting.

Most pointless job of the week

Strategic Director - Services for Older People

DERBYSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Derbyshire

£102,951 - £113,247 per annum

Your challenge will be to lead the integration and development of our services for older adults. You will forge shared objectives, implement cultural change and evolve new working practices to meet the challenges ahead.

How to burn £1/2m a year

Director of Research, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K

Director of Studies, AUDIT COMMISSION, 3 people needed £90K

Assistant clerk's job of the week

Assistant Director

BRIDGEND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

Wales

£74k plus benefits

You'll be a strong leader with the drive and vision to turn strategy into meaningful developments and used to building partnerships with people from a variety of backgrounds.

Other tax abusers

Director of Adult Social Care and Health

LEICESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Leicestershire

£120,000 plus benefits

As Director, you will lead the Council's strategic response to the recent White Paper, embracing the public health agenda and building on our good relationships with the NHS.

Director - Children's Services

London Borough of Bromley

South London

c.£110k

You will be building on a very solid foundation as much has already been achieved by the existing team. If you have what we are looking for, you will receive our complete support in taking forward our integration agenda.

Chief Executive

North East Derbyshire District Council

Derbyshire, £106,000

You'll need to be a strategic thinker with the integrity to win the trust of colleagues and external partners alike. You'll also have the people skills - including a sense of humour - to work as a genuine member of the team.

Chief Executive

Mole Valley District Council

Surrey

£100k plus benefits

We are seeking an inspirational leader to take us into the future and further develop partnership working.

Strategic Director

Poole Borough Council

Dorset

£90,396 plus benefits

We need someone with a passion for local government and a real commitment to our long term plans. You will have a broad and mixed portfolio and should be ready for the challenges this will bring.

The pay rates are staggering and I bet the successful applicant will almost certainly have had connections with the council.

I think Head Of Polar Regions Unit is a worthwhile job....the rest seem a waste of money though.

Br Cornelius

Countries don't choose to pollute themselves, they choose to send their pollution elsewhere...see African "Recycling areas".

Good cause, but I bet the weight will be put on the shoulders of those who dont really deserve it. It could make people more conscious of choosing between veggies, eggs and what meat & fish counter sells instead of taking plastic package meat from the shelves, the cheaper option. Let alone processed foods some eat because that's what they can afford.

If this goes through, they should offer a little initial relief for the poorest households or enforce this law very strictly (as if they would). People can get very crafty at circumventing laws if you give them enough room. Bank robbers for example circumvent the illegality of robbing a bank by not getting caught. It's legal if nobody catches you, because there's no repercussion then. People will say different to sound righteous, but when it's their own donkey at stake they act like that.

Is it up to your council to make you aware of what you can and can't recycle? This information is very widely available to those who look.

Likewise the Government had to be forced by Brussels to take recycling seriously. Previously, most waste was just stuffed into landfill.

Don't agree. We just need a government that makes a list of problems (like this) and then legislate to have them removed from the political arena, then make it very clear that these matters need addressing, they are not negotiable, and will remain so regardless of who is in power.

We don't need to EU for that, we simply need someone with the kahunas to say we need to take responsibility for ourselves and lead by example, not follow (and even then only because we have been told too).

Dream on - meanwhile the EU has done just about exactly what you want.

Don't let political prejudice get in the way of acknowledging the benefit we have gained in a cleaner environment as a consequence of been members of the EU.

Br Cornelius

Countries don't choose to pollute themselves, they choose to send their pollution elsewhere...see African "Recycling areas".

Many countries choose economic benefit for their industrial base over tackling pollution. Many countries in the EU are only just installing secondary and tertiary sewage treatment rather than pumping raw sewage into rivers and the sea, you can thank EU legislation for forcing them to do so. l That means than many countries seek economic advantage through allowing their members and their local government to freely pollute. Thats just a fact of how many governments have handled pollution.

The EU will now fine you if you choose to export your rubbish to a third party where it is inadequately treated.

None of these policies were initiated by sovereign states in the EU before the EU compelled them to do it.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Dream on - meanwhile the EU has done just about exactly what you want.

Don't let political prejudice get in the way of acknowledging the benefit we have gained in a cleaner environment as a consequence of been members of the EU.

Br Cornelius

Wow...out of a few decades in the making it has produced one thing I want...but hey, don't let political prejudice get in the way eh! I'd think you were just posting for a laugh if I didn't have the misforttune of knowing better.

• Like 1

Wow...out of a few decades in the making it has produced one thing I want...but hey, don't let political prejudice get in the way eh! I'd think you were just posting for a laugh if I didn't have the misforttune of knowing better.

So peace across Europe for over 60 years is not something you feel has been of benefit to you ?

How about increased trade with Europe ?

Little Englander rubbish is on the rise again. Long live the free nation of England :w00t:

Br Cornelius

So peace across Europe for over 60 years is not something you feel has been of benefit to you ?

Little Englander rubbish is on the rise again. Long live the free nation of England :w00t:

Br Cornelius

It always has to be about 'little Englander' (for you) for anyone who doesn't agree with nations being swallowed into a huge political pot...my thinking is the same for all European countries, nothing to do with the UK alone. (Thought i'd point that out since you seem to be having difficulty differentiating between England and the UK). Then again, I can see why you do that, you need your tag-lines in order to partition people into your nice neat little view of the world......now where have we seen that one before...hmmmm.....

• Like 1

We just need a government that makes a list of problems (like this) and then legislate to have them removed

from the political arena, then make it very clear that these matters need addressing, they are not negotiable, and will remain

so regardless of who is in power.

I agree on that way. That is how management works (successful) and I have to say that unfortunately politics,

(I speak for Germany here) follows a total different matrix, that is lightyears away from simple, lean and

effective processes to solve even the simplest problems.

Edited by toast

i agree that packaging is ridiculous at times.

i try to avoid buying things that are overpackaged. there are usually alternatives out there, and that extra packaging isn't really necessary for the most part

It always has to be about 'little Englander' (for you) for anyone who doesn't agree with nations being swallowed into a huge political pot...my thinking is the same for all European countries, nothing to do with the UK alone. (Thought i'd point that out since you seem to be having difficulty differentiating between England and the UK). Then again, I can see why you do that, you need your tag-lines in order to partition people into your nice neat little view of the world......now where have we seen that one before...hmmmm.....

The reason i say Little Englander is because your sentiments are almost exclusively an English one. Go to Wales or Scotland or N.Ireland and you will not find common cause. What i find objectionable is that you hate Europe despite the many benefits it has brought to the UK and how been a small independent nation has tremendous disadvantages in terms of negotiating within a globalized world - but you absolutely refuse to acknowledge that England would most likely be in a far worse situation if it has have stayed out of the EU. Why do you think that the UK applied for membership in the first place unless it saw itself becoming increasingly marginalized against the growing trading blocks of the world. You conveniently forget that the UK was basket case at the time it partitioned to join the EEC.

I see your position as fantasy politics, and what I think is most disturbing is that you cannot see that you are been manipulated by the banking sector and the stock market spivs who don't want increased controls on their criminal activities, which is the main reason why the media has demonized the EU as against the UK's interests. Who's interests is it really against to stay in the EU ??

Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

what a load of bloody rubbish, your off again with your little Englander crap, If anyone is to take credit for peace in europe it is NATO and the thousands of British and American troops station in Europe keeping the peace. the EU had no standing army, the EU has never had the ability to prevent war. it made a right balls up in Ukraine and cant even keep the peace there, and you want us to believe the EU kept the whole continent in check.

here we go again trade, how have we increased trade with the EU. British trade has not benefitted from being a member of the European Union, a report has said.

It is “empty rhetoric” to suggest that being part of the EU has given the UK a trade advantage and that any benefits are “imaginary”, a study by Civitas has claimed.

Britain's trade with other EU nations accounts for no more of its trade with all leading economies than it did on joining the European Economic Community in 1973.

Meanwhile, exports to non-EU nations Iceland, Norway and Switzerland have increased enormously over the same period, despite the relatively small populations of such nations, according to the report. The study will be welcomed by Eurosceptic critics of Britain’s membership of the EU and seen as further justification for why the UK should pull out.

The report also shows that the UK ranks only 28th of the world’s 35 fastest-growing exporters, with the UK’s exports to non-EU countries growing at a much faster pace than exports to countries that are members of the union. Mr Burrage found that “Switzerland has been more successful than the EU in negotiating freed trade agreements”.

Please tell me how you can class any as a little Englander, when they believe in a Union, that of the United Kingdom, then go on to say we should be trading with the world. so lets be good neighbours of europe, trade with europe but not be governed by Europe - lets leave europe and trade with the world. lets sign our own trade deals. we along with the USA have mastery of the trade routes europe does not. lets use that to our advantage.

He has already said he wants a Federal European Union. i say let him have it, but no way on gods green earth will the UK be part of it. let us the little Englanders join the little Americans, the little Canadians, the little Australians. the little Indians. all those who are not EU members but trade with the world. - It is he who is the little European. believing in the communist crap that is the EU. tell everyone everything they have is thanks to the EU. what a load of steaming bull crap.

Britain should leave the EU and set up free trade deals with the USA, Australia Canada, New Zealand. China, Brazil, Indian. and anyone else who benefits us. Let the EU continue down the path of destruction.

Quoting a study from an anti-european thinktank is hardly proof of anything Steve.

little Americans, the little Canadians, the little Australians. the little Indians.

Its more than Ironic that you use examples of large federal countries to try to discredit the notion of a federation. Did you not spot the irony there ?

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

The reason i say Little Englander is because your sentiments are almost exclusively an English one. Go to Wales or Scotland or N.Ireland and you will not find common cause.

Go there? I've lived in all but Northern Ireland. The common theme amongst all England, Scotland and Wales is you have mixed a diverse opinions on the EU. So your point is moot.

What i find objectionable is that you hate Europe despite the many benefits it has brought to the UK and how been a small independent nation has tremendous disadvantages in terms of negotiating within a globalized world - but you absolutely refuse to acknowledge that England would most likely be in a far worse situation if it has have stayed out of the EU.

I don't hate Europe - what a load of rubbish. I love individuality, i'm not paranoid about nations keeping there own identity, forging there own rules and regulations inline with their current rate of progression and goals. I'm not paranoid about people keeping their cultural identity, or wanting to identity with their nation of birth...I think it fantastic that all these nations had unique ways of going and running themselves. Just because I don't like the idea that all nations should merge into a melting pot and be dictated from one central point, don't then twist that around and say I hate Europe. That's a poor debating angle on your part.

I absolutely refuse to accept England would most likely be in a far worse situation without the EU? Do I? I've never been asked that question, so why are you making things up now? We may well have been in a worse situation.....and? our problem isn't it, we'd have had to work out way out of it or suffer under it.

Why do you think that the UK applied for membership in the first place unless it saw itself becoming increasingly marginalized against the growing trading blocks of the world. You conveniently forget that the UK was basket case at the time it partitioned to join the EEC.

Where did I forget that? Is this something else you'v e just made up again?

I see your position as fantasy politics, and what I think is most disturbing is that you cannot see that you are been manipulated by the banking sector and the stock market spivs who don't want increased controls on their criminal activities, which is the main reason why the media has demonized the EU as against the UK's interests. Who's interests is it really against to stay in the EU ??

Really? I'm not aware of the real reasons London remains the financial powerhouse it is, and it's direct relation to the minimal regulations that lets a lot of untraced money to flow through the capital? ....you really haven't got a clue how many diverse opinions there are on this subject have you, so you assume to fill in the gaps lol...

Not surprising though is it, because you probably attribute the anti-EU sentiment across most of Europe as being a media spin too....

Edited by The Sky Scanner
  • Like 1

The reason i say Little Englander is because your sentiments are almost exclusively an English one. Go to Wales or Scotland or N.Ireland and you will not find common cause. What i find objectionable is that you hate Europe despite the many benefits it has brought to the UK and how been a small independent nation has tremendous disadvantages in terms of negotiating within a globalized world - but you absolutely refuse to acknowledge that England would most likely be in a far worse situation if it has have stayed out of the EU. Why do you think that the UK applied for membership in the first place unless it saw itself becoming increasingly marginalized against the growing trading blocks of the world. You conveniently forget that the UK was basket case at the time it partitioned to join the EEC.

Br Cornelius

excuse me, the reason why Britain was near bankrupt was we was still suffering the effects of fighting a bloody world war, a war in which we gave everything for the cause to free Europe. get your facts right it was Charles de Gaulle who vetoed our membership twice. the same Charles de Gaulle who fled to London during the War. that's gratitude for you.

If Britain did need the EU then today we have simply outgrown it, Britain, the worlds Sixth largest economy doesn't not need the EU just like the other 160' odd countries of the world who also dont need to be EU members. who create their own trade deals, who function as 21st century countries.

the quicker we leave this god aweful mess the better, let Germany keep picking up the tab. bailing country after country. let the 27 members keep enforcing EU directives and treaty changes. let them carry on with that folly.

enough is enough. were done.

I used to separate plastics and paper from my trash and take it to the local recycling bins but the city council

decided it was too much cost and had the bins removed. Now the garbage man gets all of it.