Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are your thoughts on this.....

missmuni

Hello all,

Im a new member. Signed up and posted recently due to an experience lastnight however its made me recall a past experience of mine which at the time was very distressing..

This happened around 3 years ago whilst I was in my 2nd year at University. (Apologies in advance if this turns into a long one)

I had just moved into my new student apartment with two of my friends. The apartments themselves were very nice, only recently built and definately did not have an eerie feeling to them.

I had been living there roughly 2 months when all of this started. It first started one night when I was awake at around 1:30-2:00am. Just about to go to sleep so I had switched my lamp off and closed my eyes to go to sleep when I heard this quiet but very clear tapping noise right next to me. I let it carry on for a few seconds thinking it would go away but it didnt so I got up and turned the lamp back on, it instantly stopped. So I turned the lamp off again and closed my eyes and it started again. Again I tried to ignore but it didnt stop so I turned the lamp on and this time I had a look around to see if there was a bug that could be making this sound but there was nothing and the window hadnt even been open as it was the middle of winter so an unlikely situation. I kept turning the lamp off and it would start and putting it back on and it would stop so I left the lamp on and eventually fell asleep.

Later on that night, it must have been 3:30am or maybe even later I remember being woken up by something that seemed to grab hold of both my legs and then started to jump around on them as it was making its way upwards. As it got closer I got up and screamed out "STOP IT! STOP IT!" and it instantly stopped, I fell asleep again.

The next morning I was really freaked out and telling my flatmates but they had never experienced anything strange or out of the ordinary there so I didnt let it bother me too much thinking maybe it was a bad dream. After this I went home for a few days to take my mind off and of course everything at home was fine, I was able to sleep just fine and just to point out id never had any issues previously either.

When I returned to University a few nights later I remember being asleep on my front and then woken up by the sound of something breathing very close on my neck again in the early hours. I couldnt feel a breath but I could hear it. I remember trying to turn around to see what it was but physically being unable to turn around. Eventually I did but I turned from the other way and it stopped. After that I hardly slept for being too scared and remember for quite a few nights staying awake until 7am and then sleeping.

It wasnt until one of my friends said that I couldnt carry on as I was as I had exams approaching and they gave me a religious scripture to stick up on the wall. Im not a very religious person at all but I gave it a try as I was that desperate and it literally never happened again. (well there was something that happened months later but it wasnt necessarily bad or frightening)

Could anyone shed any light as to what this could have been?

Someone told me that the apartments had been built on top of an old cemetery but I never confirmed this for myself.

Also why did none of my flatmates have similar experiences?

I hear screaming in my ears and a feel a force down on my chest when I'm having these episodes but I know what is causing them and then my waking my brain kicks in and the feelings are alleviated.

Yeah Id go with sleep paralysis. And its not like im a hard core skeptic or anything. I tend to believe certain ghost stories.

• Like 2

My Meniere's Disease, at times, can cause some strange sensations as well--all balance and hearing related. The tinnitus alone has it's gleeful way with me (tapping, whispering...but usually just that damned to hell three-toned ringing). The vertigo makes me feel like I'm moving at times, always sideways toward the edge of the bed. Couple that with a cat sleeping on or near my foot/leg, and it can feel like I'm being grabbed and dragged.

But I'd go with the sleep paralysis on this one. It sounds more common. Your friends don't have similar experiences because they aren't suffering from it.

Just don't jump to the paranormal explanations before the mundane ones are exhausted, please.

Edited by Hida Akechi
  • Like 2

I've suffered from Sleep Paralysis many times in the past and it sounds like you have experienced it!! Common experiences include being in bed, falling asleep, unexplained noises, stressful events, feeling exhausted, breathing which is not your own, strange and disturbing presence in your room, being unable to move, swearing you were awake etc. Your eyes may even have been open and your mind just super imposed an hallucination/dream over the top of what you were seeing. You get to know the feeling of it coming on with experience, and usually moving so you lay on your side or front helps the sleep paralysis not happen.

On the other hand it could have been a demonic entity or a Shadow Creature experience. Let us know if it happens again. Get a dictaphone app for your phone and if you have a vivid experience then make a verbal note at the time. Also if you still feel something untoward is happening then set up a camera to record you sleep from the other end of the room. You might catch something on 'tape'.

Edited by bulveye

As it didn't happen to you before, and only when you were there that it indicates that it might've been a haunting. You were awake one night hearing noises that prevented you from getting any sleep in the dark. The building was new so it implies nothing ancient and no memories going back far. New buildings don't always mean it's not haunted. Spirits are connected to land too that a site is built upon.

Have you asked anyone else if they experienced strange noises there?

If you don't mind me asking what was the name of the building?

As it didn't happen to you before, and only when you were there that it indicates that it might've been a haunting. You were awake one night hearing noises that prevented you from getting any sleep in the dark. The building was new so it implies nothing ancient and no memories going back far. New buildings don't always mean it's not haunted. Spirits are connected to land too that a site is built upon.

Have you asked anyone else if they experienced strange noises there?

If you don't mind me asking what was the name of the building?

Or there could be a murder victim in the concrete foundations of the building!

...or, it could just simply be that sleep paralysis. Doesn't have to be something wild and extreme.