Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Jesus Have Been Mentally Ill

epicdarkness

If talking about peace, love and compassion is a mental illness, then we need a lot more mentally ill people in this world...

• Like 9

I will have to catch the article later.

Jesus was created by schizophrenics that had revelation through key Books and verses from the Old Testament.The Gospels are literary inventions to place this celestial character on Earth, and to put control on doctrine.

• Like 3

"If talking about peace, love and compassion is a mental illness, then we need a lot more mentally ill people in this world."

Love and peace go together with religion, turn on the news and look at the mess religion makes of the world. 2000 years ago it fighting with arrows and stones, it still goes on today except with cruise missiles and IEDs.

• Like 3

If talking about peace, love and compassion is a mental illness, then we need a lot more mentally ill people in this world...

Telling people that if they do not believe that Hell awaits, and not to have thought for the morrow, sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1

"If talking about peace, love and compassion is a mental illness, then we need a lot more mentally ill people in this world."

Love and peace go together with religion, turn on the news and look at the mess religion makes of the world. 2000 years ago it fighting with arrows and stones, it still goes on today except with cruise missiles and IEDs.

Not to mention that the big three teaches that a new Earth awaits the believers.

• Like 1

This is a fundamentalist preacher's favorite theme: Jesus was either lying or was insane or was true. This is the logic of "false dichotomy" (I think that's the name of it). Anyway it consists of setting out a list of options and then resolving down to just one as the others are not acceptable. There is of course a fourth option: Jesus is entirely or mostly mythical.

As far as his sanity goes, I suppose some of his behavior does seem odd.

• Like 2

This is a fundamentalist preacher's favorite theme: Jesus was either lying or was insane or was true. This is the logic of "false dichotomy" (I think that's the name of it). Anyway it consists of setting out a list of options and then resolving down to just one as the others are not acceptable. There is of course a fourth option: Jesus is entirely or mostly mythical.

As far as his sanity goes, I suppose some of his behavior does seem odd.

C.S. Lewis "Liar, Lunatic, or Lord".

Neither..."Fiction".

• Like 2

"Not to mention that the big three teaches that a new Earth awaits the believers."

I hope they have a Sandals in the heavenly kingdom, I went to the one in Cancun a few winters ago and it was awesome. Will god be including booze or will that be an extra surcharge as well? Probably included for platinum level tithers.

Edited by epicdarkness
  • Like 1

"Not to mention that the big three teaches that a new Earth awaits the believers."

I hope they have a sandals in the heavenly, I went to the one in Cancun a few winters ago and it was awesome. Will god be including booze or will that be an extra surcharge as well? Probably included for platinum level tithers.

Well Islam has the concept of nonalcoholic rivers of Wine.

The big prize is to worship God 24/7 to infinity.

• Like 1

You know if God were actually real he or she should have been put on trial for crimes against humanity. Read the bible what a sociopath. Made 2 brothers kill each other, drowned the entire earth, they put saddam on a noose for less.

• Like 4

In the interests of alliteration, how about, "Legend?"

That's more Robin Hood, or King Arthur.Meanwhile if you look at the evidence for Jesus, it points to people seeing hidden messages in the OT.

• Like 1

You know if God were actually real he or she should have been put on trial for crimes against humanity. Read the bible what a sociopath. Made 2 brothers kill each other, drowned the entire earth, they put saddam on a noose for less.

Navy Seals train in lots of water, so a team of Seals would be perfect to take him out.

• Like 1

I am actually going to tell this forum a direct story from my own personal life. I had a very close friend who fell on hard times and self medicated through drugs. She was hospitalized for a period of a month and was dxed with having a psychotic episode as well as several other disorders. Her family and I tried to get her stabilized but she went off her meds and fell in with a group of baptists who said jesus was the only way. So she went every sunday, money in the plate and all. She became more and more delusional and fell out of touch with reality, as a result she became withdrawn and depressed. She ended her own life by running in front of a metro train. If someone you know suffers, don't let them suffer in silence. She was only 21, this is one of the reasons why I am an Atheist today.

• Like 1

I am actually going to tell this forum a direct story from my own personal life. I had a very close friend who fell on hard times and self medicated through drugs. She was hospitalized for a period of a month and was dxed with having a psychotic episode as well as several other disorders. Her family and I tried to get her stabilized but she went off her meds and fell in with a group of baptists who said jesus was the only way. So she went every sunday, money in the plate and all. She became more and more delusional and fell out of touch with reality, as a result she became withdrawn and depressed. She ended her own life by running in front of a metro train. If someone you know suffers, don't let them suffer in silence. She was only 21, this is one of the reasons why I am an Atheist today.

That sucks, but thanks for sharing.

Drugs (except responsible uses), or Religion are just escapes from reality, which is better faced with friends.

• Like 1

They kept on telling her "there's demons in you", the demons always going on about demons. Instead of medically treating her through a psychiatrist, being in a vulnerable state these church people convinced her that she needed to be dunked in water and saved. They really do isolate people, religious fanatics prey upon the most vulnerable people to get new money and bodies in their flock.

Her death was just the result of evolution whereby the weak and inferior are eliminated. So I guess according to your theory we are all the better for it....

Edited by 029b10
  • Like 1

Her death was just the result of evolution whereby the weak and inferior are eliminated. So I guess according to your theory we are all the better for it....

The dead cannot defend themselves how dare you insult the memory of someone.

• Like 6

Medical treatment is necessary for depression, a disease which often has suicide as its final manifestation. The demon theory of disease should not be allowed because of freedom of religion, and those who practice such things and exclude medical treatment should be treated as criminals just as those who practice other forms of medical quackery.

• Like 2

But speaking of schizophrenics, is that like someone who adamantly denies the existence of God yet constantly engaged in religious conversations as if they are some type of experts?

The dead cannot defend themselves how dare you insult the memory of someone.

You're the one making the representation, not me....

• Like 2

"But speaking of schizophrenics, is that like someone who adamantly denies the existence of God yet constantly engaged in religious conversations as if they are some type of experts?"

Jesus Salesmen like yourself and other right wingers are exactly the kind of people I detest. Always looking for a fight, and I am an expert, a 12 year old is an expert. Anyone who has the capacity not to be sucked into fairy tales is an expert compared to a christian. "Oh no the gays are marrying", "the president is black", "they're gonna git mah guns", "the dummycrats did sandy hook".

• Like 3

Could Jesus have a suffered mental illness? Seriously many bible stories seem like something out of an acid trip. Interesting article, give it a read.

http://www.express.c...urch-of-England

Cult leaders

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Mystic Crusader
  • Like 1

Yet another post in "Spirituality vs. Skepticism" becomes fodder for faith-bashing of various flavors. If one bothers to read the posted article, it is a hearty endorsement that faith and mental illness can coincide and co-exist within believers. It does not equate faith and mental illness; it does not use mental illness (or faith) as any sort of excuse. Certainly there is much bizarre behavior exhibited in both Testaments, including by Jesus himself. We should just as well ask, "Did Jesus Christ have a Messiah complex?" That would be grist for all kinds of mills. . .

• Like 1

Jesus Salesmen like yourself and other right wingers are exactly the kind of people I detest. Always looking for a fight, and I am an expert, a 12 year old is an expert. Anyone who has the capacity not to be sucked into fairy tales is an expert compared to a christian. "Oh no the gays are marrying", "the president is black", "they're gonna git mah guns", "the dummycrats did sandy hook".

And who is always looking for a fight?