Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Malaysia invaded by giant 6-inch moths

UM-Bot

Swarms of the flying insects have been descending on towns across the country in their thousands.

Like a scene from a horror movie, walls and surfaces across Malaysia have been crawling with huge numbers of furry winged insects in recent weeks. Despite measuring up to 16cm in length however the moths are considered harmless and officials have emphasized that there is no need for alarm.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267861/malaysia-invaded-by-giant-6-inch-moths

• Like 2

6 inches?! I've seen 12 inch ones before at genting highlands

We have some pretty big moths around here in Northern Ontario. Luckily they don't really do much other than laze around on the front door.

(Read this with a southern accent in mind).. We have mosquitos that big in Tennessee. It feels like you were hit by a car when they stab you with their sucker part and if they are not finished with their meal, they will fly off with people still attached.

~Maximus

• Like 1

Im 6'5 and 130kg retired boxer and former South african strong man competitor, and nothing makes me run faster than moths or butterfly's!they absolutely terrify me! Swarms of 6" moths is worse than any nightmare!

Ive officially scored Malaysia off my bucket list holiday destinations!

• Like 3

All this hand-wringing over moths. I guess superstitions die hard in some areas.

In Costa Rica this March we were treated to a swarm of diurnal Urania Swallowtail Moths, they are quite similar in shape to the pictured Malaysian moth, but have electric green markings, as pretty as any tropical butterfly. They were migrating across Central America.

Where I live we also have the very large Black Witch Moths, which also in times gone by had much superstition attached to them. Personally I think they're neat, and no one died the last time one flew into our yard. But Luna Moths are by far the most beautiful moth in our area, but quite rare this far south.

• Like 1

I feel kinda sorry for moths. Leaving your home town for the bright lights of the city doesn't always end well. Find an old lamp, there's usually dead moths inside it. Plus, they are generally regarded as the ugly, insane and annoying members of the butterfly family. Poor wee moths.

• Like 2

"In China, moths are viewed as symbols of death as they represent the souls of deceased loved ones," said astrologer Cindy Wu. "It is therefore considered a serious taboo to kill moths or disturb them."

This is from the same country that gave us Confucius?

My daughter did have a "pet"caterpillar that produced a moth rather than a butterfly. It had a scary face, like it was angry and was going to get out of it's coffee jar and attack you. She did release it to the wilds of North Carolina, where I'm sure it found a nice piece of woll to eat.

• Like 1

hmm I wonder how long before they end up on the menu. :w00t:

• Like 2

You beat me to my punny Mothra comment Mr. ET, damn you! j/k

• Like 3

They are kinda pretty!

• Like 3

Amazing specimen, fortunately I have no phobia of Moths so i can appreciate the beauty of the example, but I can imagine those with an aversion to them will be running for the bloody hills by now :o

• Like 2

I live in Malaysia but I see no sign of such moths whatsoever. It wasn't even in the local news. Wonder who made up such stories.

Engulf cities by the thousands? LOL, I couldn't even see a single one, today or in last 20 years.

Edited by woopypooky

I live in Malaysia but I see no sign of such moths whatsoever. It wasn't even in the local news. Wonder who made up such stories.

Engulf cities by the thousands? LOL, I couldn't even see a single one, today or in last 20 years.

Hi there am singaporean. U forgot about genting highlands

The movies have taught me that if you start getting weird prophecies in your sleep whenever big moths are around, then a bridge is going to collapse somewhere with a number of people on it.

• Like 1

They are kinda pretty!

Agreed, they're pretty cool looking.

• Like 1

They are awesome looking.when I was a kid my area was invaded by

gypsy moths these things where all over the place by the millions.

Near my house there is a road with woods on both sides you could see millions of them crossing the st to get to the other side and at night if we slept with the window open we could hear them eating the leafs.

• Like 1

Im 6'5 and 130kg retired boxer and former South african strong man competitor, and nothing makes me run faster than moths or butterfly's!they absolutely terrify me! Swarms of 6" moths is worse than any nightmare!

Ive officially scored Malaysia off my bucket list holiday destinations!

You'd get on well with my sister-in-law, she's scared of moths too and much smaller ones than these.

• Like 1

My friend found one of these at her store she owns,well not this one but the same shape lol

(Read this with a southern accent in mind).. We have mosquitos that big in Tennessee. It feels like you were hit by a car when they stab you with their sucker part and if they are not finished with their meal, they will fly off with people still attached.

~Maximus

:lol: