Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen forced to remove makeup for DL photo

Rafterman

This is total and utter bull**** in my opinion. As long as the kid wasn't trying to hide his identity, then it's no one at the DMV's business nor is it the State of South Carolina's business for that matter.

Would they tell a women wearing the raccoon-esque eye makeup that is so popular now to remove it? Doubt it. What about someone coming in with neon pink hair? And since when it is the government's job to define what constitutes looking like a male or looking like a female. There are plenty of effeminate looking men and masculine looking women in the world. There are also hyper-masculine gay men and heterosexual cross dressers.

What this boils down to is that the person at the DMV simply didn't like the fact that the kid had on makeup and wanted to make a stink about it using what little power they have in their life.

I hope this goes to court and I hope the kid wins.

DMV forces gender non-conforming South Carolina teen to remove makeup for license photo: activists

Chase Culpepper, 16, says workers at the DMV in Anderson accused him of wearing a disguise and forced him to take off his makeup. 'The government should not tell him there is something wrong with him just because he doesn't meet the DMV's expectations about what a boy should look like,' a spokesperson for the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund said.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...2#ixzz350zStNLC

post-106978-0-63172200-1403114748_thumb.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Poor kid. She really got dressed up nice too. It's not up to me or you to tell someone which gender they identify as. Things are going to get more and more confusing as time goes on.

• Like 2

And at the end of the day, what does it really matter.

Since NYS doesn't require you to get a new photograph when you renew your license, my current DL has a photo of me from 1995 on it. I might as well be wearing a disguise.

• Like 2

If this person always goes around dressed and made up like a female...then shouldn't the photo have been allowed with the make up on? Isn't the point of an ID picture to look like the person? :unsure2:

• Like 4

I watched the story up until the point where the boy said "I felt so degraded".

If having to remove make up is degrading and dehumanizing then I have been alive far too long.

God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.

William Shakespeare

• Like 2

I watched the story up until the point where the boy said "I felt so degraded".

If having to remove make up is degrading and dehumanizing then I have been alive far too long.

God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.

William Shakespeare

If women in general were asked to remove their make up before taking their ID photo, I would see your point - nothing at all degrading about being asked to do what everyone else is required to do before taking the photo. Fact is though, this kid was singled out because she was born a male and likely had male as the sex on the licence. It's gender bias pure and simple. What if a heterosexual male preferred to wear makeup? How is that any different from a female wearing make up? It is still product on a human face, yet it is okay for one but not for the other .... you see it make no logical sense and can only be discriminatory to treat males differently from females on the matter of face makeup at all.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 4

Government employees should have to go through sensitivity and tolerance training, especially the ones that deal with the public.

And at the end of the day, what does it really matter.

Since NYS doesn't require you to get a new photograph when you renew your license, my current DL has a photo of me from 1995 on it. I might as well be wearing a disguise.

if you renew they might not take new pic, but when you are 16 and apply for a new license as it was in this case, you must have your pic taken.

This is nothing, though I don't support it.

The cynical view is that they are conditioning the younger generations for future mug shots. They've had them peeing in a bottle on demand for 15 years or so, taking off make-up is no big deal.