Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sleep paralysis since i was young

bri44

hi! i am currently 18 years old. this story will be kinda long but i really need advice or anybody that has gone through the same experience as me. it all started when i was 7. i remember i was sleeping on my bed when i suddenly woke up to a really loud and scary screaming and crying from a female. it sounded like she was right next to me, but i couldn't see her or anything. i tried to move but i was paralyzed and i also tried screaming for my mom but no words would come out. i don't remember how long that screaming and yelling lasted but she sounded like she was in so much pain. i told my parents the experience that i have had that night but they didn't believe me and said it was just a bad dream but i know i wasn't dreaming. then it happened again when i was 14 years old...i always sleep with some kind of light in my room because i am scared of the dark. a week before that night of the sleep paralysis experience the glass on my lap had broken so the light bulb was exposed. i didn't have anything to cover the light bulb to stop it from been so bright at knight so i made stupid decision to place a towel on top of the lap to stop my room from been so bright at night. the towel didn't catch on fire or anything for a whole week. until one night i realized my room was still to bright so i decided to place another towel on top of the other towel already on the lamp. very stupid idea!!! so that night it was around 12:00 at night and i was woken up by my eyes burning really bad i thought i had forgotten to remove my contacts so i stood up to turn on the light and i realized my room was full on white smoke! i could rarely see clear( no wonder my eyes were burning like hell), i thought i had left my straighter on because i tent to do that but i remembered that i didn't have my straighter in with me that day. i look around my room to try to figure out that the hell was burning and then i saw that the towels on top of my lamp where super orange and were about to catch on fire( note my bed is all made out of wood and it had this place on top where i placed my lamp every night) i ran to take the towel off my lamp and ran to the bathroom and threw it to the bath tub and turned that water on...i was so thankful that i was able to wake up before it caught on fire! so soon i woke up everybody in my house because the whole house was full of smoke! so lets fast forward....... i ended up sleeping in my moms room that night and her room is right next to the laundry room which is next to the kitchen.... i remember i was trying to fall back asleep when i heard an older man probably around 70 whispered my name ...it sounded like it was coming from the kitchen so i turned my head to the door and then i felt my body starting to paralyze and i felt this really weird vibration all over my body! i couldn't talk or move! i kept trying to shake my self so i could come out of that weird feeling but i couldn't move and all i could hear was the older man whisper my name 3 times and then the same lady that i heard screaming and crying in agony when i was 7 started screaming again and panicked so the first thing i said to myself in head was just got through it don't fight it just ignore it and pray....all this happened very quick... then my mom yelled my name and i was back to normal again and i ran to her and she said what was wrong with me why was i making does weird noises and i told her that i was having the same experience that i had when i was 7. that's when she finally believed me and also my dad....my dad told me when he was younger he used to have sleep paralysis as well... but with him it was different... he was able to see scary things in his sleep but wasn't able to wake up from his sleep and he cant move either...i on the other hand am awake but can hear scary things and i cant move....ever since that last scary experience there doesn't go a night by i don't dream about water....it can be clean or dirty but i will always dream about water no matter what..... it can be water in a cup or a big pool of water somewhere but water is always included in my dream some how..some times i wonder if i will die drowned because i always dream about water.... also in the house i live i am the only one in my family that hears things in that house.....until recently my other family members were able to hear somethings as well... when i was younger i used to be able to hear someone call my name but then i would look around and realize that nobody did.... i am also able to feel a weird feeling in my gut if i walk into a new place or just a friends house and there is something scary about that place.... i am not saying i have powers but why does all this happen to me and not my other family members...i hear footsteps all the time at night or someone kick my house door or whispers when im alone and i also feel like someone is watching me but i am not scared ... atleast not anymore...i am used to it and i am scared i just pray.... i do believe my house is haunted but i think its by a child...and it means no harm....also my room scares everybody including my little brother...i have sometimes made him to go into my room to show him that there is nothing scary there but he either cries or starts yelling really loud but he wont ever go in by himself now.....even my mom says sometimes that my room scares her but i have nothing weird in there it looks like any other girls room...my dad has also heard some noises too but the noises had stopped i think the ghost got used to us living there now but every now and then ill hear somethings....i am just curious to get advice for my weird experience...i have so much more to tell but it will be way to long to explain everything! thank you so much for reading and if you have anymore questions please ask, comment, or message me! thank you again..

Edited by bri44

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bri44

• Dropship

• Jamesss

• Beccalovve

Great story bri. You have experienced quite a few sleep paralysis experiences. They are so scary and traumatic. My experiences have been with the hag and she is hideous and evil as they come. Lights on for months after. thought I was going crazy.I am so glad so many people are now sharing stories and that sp is coming out into the open.people feel less alone in it. It really is terrifying and fascinating

I also have sleep paralysis. I've never heard or seen anything out of the ordinary but I always feel that strong vibration throughout my body. My heart always beats really fast and I feel like I'm going to die. It's hard to ignore, I always feel petrified when it happens. I can see my surroundings but I can't move or wake up. I've actually had one but I was in a different place than where I fell asleep. It's very strange.

Had an episode the other day (i work nights).

First i head a phone ringing, it was the style ring from an old portable phone.

Then i heard a sinister sounding laugh.

i opened my eyes but everything was the way it should have been.

i then forced myself to wake up.

A few moments later i decided to stop fighting it and take it as far as i could but i fell asleep.

Next time, i suppose.

Why fear it?

Just as an important suggestion. Everyone should invest in a Smoke Alarm and a Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Research has shown that carbon monoxide poisoning can cause people to believe they are having supernatural experiences. More info here:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_house#Possible_causes

Also the carbon monoxide will eventually kill you.

• 1 month later...

Great story bri. You have experienced quite a few sleep paralysis experiences. They are so scary and traumatic. My experiences have been with the hag and she is hideous and evil as they come. Lights on for months after. thought I was going crazy.I am so glad so many people are now sharing stories and that sp is coming out into the open.people feel less alone in it. It really is terrifying and fascinating

. Thank god I have never seen anything! I only hear the cries and sobs but never see anything... Next time you experience an episode like this again, if you are religious, pray! That helps me everytime I am scared! Hope this horrible experiences stop for you soon! Take care!

I hate having sleep paralysis. Sleeping on your back makes you more prone to them for some reason so I started sleeping on my stomach and haven't really had any since doing that.

I'm glad your towels didn't catch on fire. Definitely invest in a smoke detector. The living world can be far more dangerous so keep yourself safe from fires.

Maybe your house is haunted or maybe your family is just getting bad vibes because you have had sleep paralysis. Could be anything really. Maybe the person saying your name was a guardian angel and was worried about you that night because of the towels. The woman screaming is probably a hallucination caused by the sleep paralysis.

Stay safe and well!

I hate having sleep paralysis. Sleeping on your back makes you more prone to them for some reason so I started sleeping on my stomach and haven't really had any since doing that.

I'm glad your towels didn't catch on fire. Definitely invest in a smoke detector. The living world can be far more dangerous so keep yourself safe from fires.

Maybe your house is haunted or maybe your family is just getting bad vibes because you have had sleep paralysis. Could be anything really. Maybe the person saying your name was a guardian angel and was worried about you that night because of the towels. The woman screaming is probably a hallucination caused by the sleep paralysis.

Stay safe and well!

. Thank you for your response!! And you know what I never thought the person saying my name could be my guardian angel! I recently moved to an apartment and I haven't heard and gone through any paranormal activity yet so I do believe it was just the house. And yes I remember the only times I had sleep paralysis was when I was on my back. Take care and hope you don't experience anything again!

hi! i am currently 18 years old.....and if you have anymore questions please ask, comment, or message me! thank you again..

Firstly most 18-yr-olds are charged up with energy and life can seem like a wild whirling mechanical bull with all sorts of crazy stuff going on, so try to ride it out if you can.

Secondly GET MAD at any spooky things and tell them to CLEAR OFF.I mean, who the hell do they think they are??

One guy said he uses the Lord's Prayer and the name of Jesus to hit them with, so that might be worth a try too.

Incidentally there's a well-known phenomenon called 'Old Hag Syndrome' associated with sleep paralysis, check it-

OLD HAG SYNDROME

ITV screened a docu a while back about people who had trouble sleeping, called 'Nights from Hell'.

Some sleep-walked, some lashed out screaming, but the one that interested me most was the young woman who says she sometimes suddenly finds herself awake in the night but completely paralysed, unable to move or speak.

Then a 'thing' enters the room looking like an evil old lady,

It squats on her chest and she can hardly breathe, she then falls back asleep, and when she wakes up in the morning she's fine.

The amazing thing is that plenty of other people have experienced the same thing, they're always paralysed and its always an old woman who sits on their chest and tries to throttle them.

Doctors call it The Old Hag Syndrome, but they can't explain why its always an old woman, never an old man, or animal, or anything else.

The phenomenon is all over the net, just type 'Old Hag Syndrome'.

oldhagsyndrome.jpg

Edited by Dropship

Firstly most 18-yr-olds are charged up with energy and life can seem like a wild whirling mechanical bull with all sorts of crazy stuff going on, so try to ride it out if you can.

Secondly GET MAD at any spooky things and tell them to CLEAR OFF.I mean, who the hell do they think they are??

One guy said he uses the Lord's Prayer and the name of Jesus to hit them with, so that might be worth a try too.

Incidentally there's a well-known phenomenon called 'Old Hag Syndrome' associated with sleep paralysis, check it-

OLD HAG SYNDROME

ITV screened a docu a while back about people who had trouble sleeping, called 'Nights from Hell'.

Some sleep-walked, some lashed out screaming, but the one that interested me most was the young woman who says she sometimes suddenly finds herself awake in the night but completely paralysed, unable to move or speak.

Then a 'thing' enters the room looking like an evil old lady,

It squats on her chest and she can hardly breathe, she then falls back asleep, and when she wakes up in the morning she's fine.

The amazing thing is that plenty of other people have experienced the same thing, they're always paralysed and its always an old woman who sits on their chest and tries to throttle them.

Doctors call it The Old Hag Syndrome, but they can't explain why its always an old woman, never an old man, or animal, or anything else.

The phenomenon is all over the net, just type 'Old Hag Syndrome'.

oldhagsyndrome.jpg

. Thank you for your helpful response and tips!! I think I saw that docu on YouTube a few months back but I will check it out again! I have heard about the old hag but I never see anything so I don't know if I could say I experience the old hag just because I don't see anything.... I've also read you tend to experience this because you wake up out of no were and your brain doesn't have time to send signals to your to move so you get paralyzed and start hallucinating things but who knows what it could really be

Yes there's a sort of 'middle ground' between sleeping and waking where things can happen, it can occur at 3 points-

when we're dropping off to sleep, when we're waking up, and one or more times in the night when we briefly wake as we turn over in bed.

Basically our "psychic shields" are down at such times and we become prone to all sorts of psychic phenomena.

As a great philosopher once said-

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition"- Rod Serling, The Twilight Zone

Edited by Dropship

• 2 weeks later...

On a similar thing to sleep paralysis has anyone ever heard of or had "exploding head syndrome" ? It sounds funny but it's an actual real thing related to just drifting off to sleep that bit where you are almost asleep but conscious. Doctors don't know what causes it. There are various theories from an imbalance of inner ear to auditory hallucinations due to altered conscious state when entering sleep. Wikipedia has a good article about it.

I've had it now for about a year now so get used to it when it happens but the first time it happened I nearly pooped myself I was so scared. To put simply you hear like a loud gunshot or explosion but inside your head, it's not an external noise and nobody else will hear it. It's extremely loud and frightening, I jumped out of my bed and thought there had been a shooting but I new the sound was from inside so it was very confusing. Other people having it can hear a loud musical instrument or a person shouting. Most of mine are loud gunshots but one was a person shouting okay. I think that was more scary than the gunshot.

Fortunately for me it's not every night and really only happens several times a month. Even now I'm used to it it still makes me jump out of bed, I just don't get scared by it anymore.

Regards