Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Does Anyone Need an AR15

epicdarkness

When did we have to start showing we had a need for something in order to get one? Need has nothing to do with it, want is sufficient.

do I get my atomic bomb then?

yes,yes, please, please?

• Like 1

I can understand why you would have a shotgun or a pistol if someone breaks into your home, but why would anyone need a weapon of that magnitude?

we just do.

There is no need for it, haven't you seen the amount of shootings these past months its on cnn practically every week.

The fact that there are all these shootings shows that the police are not stopping criminals in time. Criminals exist, they have guns. I want to be able to defend myself against them. The police have these weapons so that they can defend against criminals more effectively. The american people want these weapons for the same reason (majority of us are not criminals).

• Like 6

The most simple answer to your question is because I can. I can even own a fully automatic and suppressed AR if wanted to pay for the license and stamp. Now, I don't own one, nor have I ever owned one, but it is everyone's right to own one if they so choose. Now, for actual reasons to own one, well, many people use them for hunting. No difference than any semi auto hunting rifle, like remington 7400 or browning's hunting rifle the BAR. Just look different. A lot of people use them for shooting competitions such as 3-gun. This also utilized shotgun and pistol along with ar's in a 3-gun course. Some just like to shoot, and their preferred weapon to take to the range just happens to be an ar type rifle. They are fun to shoot as they are light weight for the most part, and are generally chambered for low recoil rounds. Of course there are those that just like to think they are some spec ops type of guy and play weekend warrior. Tacticool types are everywhere, but just because they own an ar type rifle has no bearing what so ever on in they are going to shoot up a school. Fact of the matter is that mass shootings are at an all time low, the media just doesn't want you to know that.

Mike

• Like 1

Just to answer a few of thepoints you bring up Epic....

1. A civilian AR is not fully automatic or capable of round burst,as has already been mentioned.

2. You "believe" someone will just freeze up with a gun pointed at them,you must have never encountered a meth addict before.

3. Why would 5 people break into your house at once?Ever heard of gang activity?

• Like 1

There is no need for it, haven't you seen the amount of shootings these past months its on cnn practically every week.

Haven't you read the statistics of violent gun crime decreasing ever since 1992? Why bleat about it now while it's lower than it has been in over a decade?

Oh wait. You didn't hear that on CNN did you.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 5

Same reason they buy gigantic 4 wheel drive gas guzzling pickup trucks they never pull anything with, never haul anything in, never take off the road, never put a scratch on and wash and wax three times a week. An AR15 is real purty.

Edited by hammerclaw

Fer shootin' an' freedom and 'murica, dammit.

Thanks for the hearty laugh. Perfect. And possibly, sadly, so accurate.

Why does anyone need 30 bullets in a clip which fire automatically. What is the purpose of assault weapons in the hands of civilians.

Automatic weapons are not legal. Perhaps you should do a little research. Go to a firing range, take a class, rent a gun to shoot and come back later.
  • Like 1

I can understand why you would have a shotgun or a pistol if someone breaks into your home, but why would anyone need a weapon of that magnitude?

1) Because we are allowed to own them.

2) Because a person may want one.

An AR-15 is LOUD. Shooting one indoors is a bit dangerous, unless circumstances mitigate things. Shotguns are loud too. If I had to choose, I'll use my pistols for home defense (9mm and .45 isn't too bad). Not because of any sentiments toward the jackwads invading my home, but because I've only got one good ear left and I don't want to lose that.

However, when it comes down to it, I will use whatever weapon is at hand and be glad I was able to.

Why does anyone need 30 bullets in a clip which fire automatically. What is the purpose of assault weapons in the hands of civilians.

1) Because we are allowed to own them.

2) Because a person may want one.

By the way, an AR-15 isn't an assault rifle. And high-capacity mags are nice. Less reloading between shots. Lots of firepower when it is needed. Shooting single-shot or low-capacity rifles are fun, but for emergencies, stopping to reload gives the criminals a chance. I don't want them to have a chance, too much is at stake.

And now you're falling for the over-sensationalizing that the news uses just to get you all emotional. There aren't a large amount of shootings, any more than normal.

Automatic weapons are not legal. Perhaps you should do a little research. Go to a firing range, take a class, rent a gun to shoot and come back later.

Actually, they are--but I do understand your point in context with the OP's statement. At least they are legal around here. You just need to find one you want (and they are not cheap, and only ones made before the mid 80s are allowed to be purchased by the public at large), pay for it (after the usual background checks), then submit the proper paperwork for the automatic weapon stamp, pay the amount requested (usually $200), wait until the LEO decides that they want you to have it (which could take months), then you can have it. And don't forget ammo. Shooting automatic weapons uses a lot of expensive ammo. When I finally get my automatic weapon (looking for a WWI or WWII era Lewis Machine Gun--that doesn't cost me the same price as a new car), I should be stocked up on enough ammo that I can shoot it leisurely off and on during the summer. "Should be".... as surplus .303 ammo rolls between available and expensive and out of stock.

Oh, and I'll eventually get one because:

1) I can.

2) I want one.

• Like 2

I am guessing that a lot that are on the anti gun side have never lived in a less than nice neighborhood. When a gang or drug crazed individual(s) do home invasions, its not always about stealing. They may have rape or just the thrill of seeing someone bleeding to death in front of them on their mind, who knows... If you've never been in a situation that is out of your control like that or even to a lesser degree, I can understand why you think the way you do.

Why would anyone need a 30 round magazine? Again, if there are multiple people in your home that shouldn't be there that may possibly be armed, that's going to be your best defense, not running and cowering in a corner. In addition, if they are on drugs like PCP or bath salts, they're going to keep coming at you until they bleed to death. The Florida case where that man ate that other man's face, it took 2 officers to shoot him multiple times to get him to stop

• Like 3

yes,yes, please, please?

So do you need a TV? No, people lived for centuries without them. No TV for you.

Do you need more than 1 pair of shoes? Or even need shoes? People live for centuries without them. No shoes for you.

All you really need is food, water, and shelter. Anything else is a want. So all we can get is food, water, and shelter? Really? Do you understand now why we are not limited to the things we need? Want is sufficient.

PS If you can afford an atomic bomb and you know where you can lay your hands on one, be my guest.

• Like 2

You just lost all credibility in this discussion.

Why don't you go do some research on Modern Sporting Rifles (AR-15 for example) vs assault weapons vs automatic weapons and come back. We'll talk.

Oh, and learn the difference between a clip and a magazine.

Here's a starting point for you - the Evolution of the Modern Sporting Rifle: http://www.nssf.org/msr/

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

To defend yourself against a tyrannical government.

• Like 1

Haven't you read the statistics of violent gun crime decreasing ever since 1992? Why bleat about it now while it's lower than it has been in over a decade?

Oh wait. You didn't hear that on CNN did you.

Amazing isnt it? It so sad to see main stream just say something and to the average joe, its the truth. Whats worse, most of the gun violence is done in places with the greatest restrictions, by gangs of lawless scum anyway.

People actualy think gun violence is the worst its ever been, when in truth it has declined by over 50% over the last 20 years.

If liberals really want to save lives, they should be battling things like drug companies, who kill many more people everyday then guns.

• Like 3

So do you need a TV? No, people lived for centuries without them. No TV for you.

Do you need more than 1 pair of shoes? Or even need shoes? People live for centuries without them. No shoes for you.

All you really need is food, water, and shelter. Anything else is a want. So all we can get is food, water, and shelter? Really? Do you understand now why we are not limited to the things we need? Want is sufficient.

PS If you can afford an atomic bomb and you know where you can lay your hands on one, be my guest.

I was afraid of that answer.

You should think about it a little.

• Like 1

I was afraid of that answer.

You should think about it a little.

Why? You can't afford one or know where you can get one so I'm not worried in the least.

What about the rest. Should we be limited to only the things we can show a need for?

• Like 1

With over 300 million people in this country that is not a surprise to find some sort of shooting story once a week. And since all news stations have different agendas....

Its not hard to imagine what CNN's agenda on guns might be.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I don't see anyone using an atomic bomb to defend against a home invasion or prevent them or others from being harmed. What a stupid concept.

Comparing the ownership of those to personal firearms is completely ignorant of the real issues here, and is a strawman solely used to divert the viewers attention from the lack of a real anti-gun argument being posted.

• Like 4

yes,yes, please, please?

Oh, very well. You CAN have your atomic bomb. But if you don't look after it, or lend to anyone bad, we'll just have to take it away from you and you won't get it back till you say sorry! :yes:

So, that's the joke, now to the post.

Right, I own an airsoft version of this AR 15 (though the classification says it's a CAR 15. Looks like it has a slightly shorter barrel) so I know the general look and length of this weapon. Now while I understand the US and your claim to own all sorts of weapons under your Constitution, my question is just why a long sort of weapon other than a handgun is better to have bedside you. Yes, dare say that if you are dealing with an intruder, having what will look like a larger firearm would scare the hell out of such a criminal - after all, he/ she doesn't know that you are only allowed a single shot non automatic weapon - and a small hand gun wouldn't look as intimidating. But aside from that, why do you lot over there think that you need this sort of weapon?

Look, I recently watched a report from Africa, which included an American aid worker who was a bit wary of the locals toting the various AK series of sub machine guns. They didn't get the irony that back home, you're getting the makers of the AR series all wanting you to buy one. It's like your more odder open carry lot, who have strung on their backs what appears to the layman to be army style weapons. While a pistol is understandable, a rifle is a bit of a reach.

why should anyone deside for me, what i want or what i need. what gun i have, what truck i drive, and how much electricity i use.

Well I guess it is like cars, why the hell would someone want to spend a ridiculous amount of money buying a Ferrari, when they can legally only go the same speed as everyone else? Here it is a maximum of 70mph for cars, whether that is a Bugatti Veyron or an old knacker that cost £100. Guess it all boils down to personal taste, demonstration of status etc.

Why do we need an AR-15? .... We don't, some people just want them or prefer them, human nature in all its glory.

• Like 1

Well I guess it is like cars, why the hell would someone want to spend a ridiculous amount of money buying a Ferrari, when they can legally only go the same speed as everyone else? Here it is a maximum of 70mph for cars, whether that is a Bugatti Veyron or an old knacker that cost £100. Guess it all boils down to personal taste, demonstration of status etc.

Why do we need an AR-15? .... We don't, some people just want them or prefer them, human nature in all its glory.

The final wise words... besides that there is only one reason: What you don't have in the pants you need to have in the hands.

• Like 1

why should anyone deside for me, what i want or what i need.

Because others need to be told what to do and how to live, so they think every one needs it.

• Like 4