Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Does Anyone Need an AR15

epicdarkness

If you know as much about sport rifles as you claim you are well aware of the fact that any $300 bolt action rifle beats an AR 15 in precision any day of the week with two hand tied behind its back.

The original for that rifle was designed for just one purpose: to have a relatively light spraying instrument for the infantry, and given that the AR variety has been castrated of that possibility the only thing that is left is the bragging rights having one. No other purpose left.

I enjoy mine at the range.

Nothing about an AR-15 to brag about, anyone can own one if they can pass a background check.

I like mine because if i was ever in a position where i needed to defend myself i have 30 shots available before i have to reload. odds of that happening? probably zero.

but who cares? i carried the M-16 for 15 years in the military. i am comfortable with it and i like it.

Its just a .223 and i agree completely that a bolt action is by far more accurate.

I have one of those too for hunting.

• Like 2

I enjoy mine at the range.

Nothing about an AR-15 to brag about, anyone can own one if they can pass a background check.

I like mine because if i was ever in a position where i needed to defend myself i have 30 shots available before i have to reload. odds of that happening? probably zero.

but who cares? i carried the M-16 for 15 years in the military. i am comfortable with it and i like it.

Its just a .223 and i agree completely that a bolt action is by far more accurate.

I have one of those too for hunting.

That is a good answer, and the exact reason why if I purchased a gun, it would be an AR-15. I can take that thing apart and clean it blindfolded. It is the only gun I would feel comfortable with.

• Like 2

Wrong post

Edited by Einsteinium

I don't understand why people make a fuss about an AR-15 as opposed to a 30-30 used to hunt large game.

Both guns are capable of killing but the AR-15 gets more scrutiny just because it looks wicked.

The looks of the gun doesn't kill.

I'd prefer a 30-30 anyway (I have my tactical 12 gauge for home defense/intimidation). They are much more dependable and have a greater stopping power. I killed my first dear with a 30-30. Having been in the military I've never been impressed by the AR10/M-16 or any of their derivative arms.

Edited by Slave2Fate

I'd prefer a 30-30 anyway (I have my tactical 12 gauge for home defense/intimidation). They are much more dependable and have a greater stopping power. I killed my first dear with a 30-30. Having been in the military I've never been impressed by the AR10/M-16 or any of their derivative arms.

Same here. I like the old style revolver handguns and lever action rifles. AR15's don't impress me. But I don't oppose them just because they look intimidating.

I collect old firearms. Old West, WWI, WWII...but I will have an AR-15 or similar product someday as soon as I can afford one. I prefer wood and metal weapons over poly-wonder-plastics, but I do respect and admire the new guns. And when it comes down to it, I admit that I would be better off with a high-capacity, hard-hitting semi-auto rifle that's light enough to maneuver as well, over a lever-action or a bolt-action.

I've heard a lot of people call the AR-15 an "assault weapon." Those people do not know what an "assault weapon" is. An assault weapon can be anything. And contrary to what some of my friends may think, it is not a machine gun. Here's an entire list if you want to know what an AR-15 is (and what it is not):

http://www.nssf.org/msr/facts.cfm

You're hearing this stuff on the news and in the newspapers. The media twists and molds people so much, it frustrates me. Mainly because it is the industry I work in. The AR-15 is almost like a typical rifle, except it's one of the simplest to operate. It is good for those who lack experience with firearms. Yet people commonly think of it as this dangerous, unnecessary tool. You might as well oppose every other rifle on the market if you oppose the AR-15.

Edited by UFO_Monster
  • Like 1

Lets ban Pitchforks for a safer community :whistle:

Interesting link. A must read. http://www.huffingto..._n_5269749.html

One morning around 2 am at a 7-11 I saw the worker pull out a mop to ward off some racist drunk. Too bad he wasn't at the waffle house. It c ould have been an epic battle.

I killed my first dear with a 30-30.

Dear God. Does your 2nd wife know?

• Like 2

Someone teach me about guns, I actually want to know a bit. I have fired a gun once in my life it was silver 1911 smith and wesson at the shooting range. Where I am you need a PAL and permission from the government handgun as it is a restricted class weapon. Hunting rifles and shotguns are relatively unrestricted. Handguns here only hold 10 bullets, my friend holds the proper security clearance to own a personal handgun.

Dear God. Does your 2nd wife know?

I didn't even notice the spelling error.

I hope my wife doesn't see this! :lol:

Because I'm planning to break into your house? I must have missed that part of the conversation. I happen to enjoy guns, as a matter of fact, but that is beside the point, for it would seem that levity is not allowed when discussing guns. Oh no. Can't have that.

Well, if your intent was humor or levity then I apologize for the response as it was said... Hard to detect sarcasm or real feelings in a one line statement. Have to kind of take it at face value.

And as for the you planning to break into my house, I said "if" you broke into my house, not when.

Someone teach me about guns, I actually want to know a bit. I have fired a gun once in my life it was silver 1911 smith and wesson at the shooting range. Where I am you need a PAL and permission from the government handgun as it is a restricted class weapon. Hunting rifles and shotguns are relatively unrestricted. Handguns here only hold 10 bullets, my friend holds the proper security clearance to own a personal handgun.

Where are you from?

First of all, where are you located?

if you knew at least half as much about ar as you think, you'd know, there are ar rifles out there, that use cartridge that is not .223, but 308, and 6,8mm, and even some magnum cartridges, accuracy wise, some can put 5 round group inside a nickel from 100yards, and they are no longer represent what original AR was designed for. some ar platform based rifles are made for hunting, and competition shooting.

stop making look like you know everything, your knowledge is very outdated and irrelevant at present time.

please stop showing entire world how little you really know, and how large your ego is,

lol compensating for something small?? lmao.

Why don't you show us a video of somebody doing that?

BTW, here is a custom made that can't do that:

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

Where in Canada do you live? I know a lot about Canadian Gun laws so you can ask me anything about them.

Why don't you show us a video of somebody doing that?

BTW, here is a custom made that can't do that:

My smallest 5 round grouping with my C7A2 Assault Rifle at 200 meters was about 2.5 inches across. That is a rifle made for war with no fancy add-ons etc. I can believer that Civilian AR style rifles can be true nail drivers at longer ranges.

My smallest 5 round grouping with my C7A2 Assault Rifle at 200 meters was about 2.5 inches across. That is a rifle made for war with no fancy add-ons etc. I can believer that Civilian AR style rifles can be true nail drivers at longer ranges.

They are not. And they were never meant to be.

What we are seeing here is a different phenomena, and that is that the Colt company suddenly had a huge stock of M 16 parts and no takers, so what better than to "popularize" the item, change the receiver (due to laws on the books since the 1930s) to semi-automatic and sell it to civilians.

That the thing is pretty useless for civilian applications was not mentioned, and then due to politicians who get attention from the Colt company (one group called pro-gun and the other anti-gun) a real hype started stylizing the whole thing to a "symbol of liberty". After that a item, about as useful as a Rubik cube, became a top seller.

They are not.

they sure are nowadays, there are plenty very accurate ar rifles on civilian market, ar is very popular in vermin hunting, and accuracy really matters there.

your knowledge of firearms is about 50 years outdated.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

1\4 inch at 100 yards.

Ehm, what part of custom build dontcha get?

That thingy has a different barrel, a precision receiver and a personalized stock. It is about as similar to an AR 15 you can buy at a store as a Nascar car to the thing you drive every day.