Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World War II lake monster ?

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Dodati Location: English Channel

I've always been fascinated by tales of cryptic lake or water monsters, though I've never actually seen one myself. But my step-father's father (an eccentric, yet sharp and to-the-point individual who ordinarily isn't given to making up fanciful tales, and whom I'll call Bill) once recalled a t...

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ii-lake-monster

• Like 1

Shame no pictures surfaced (pun) from this supposed encounter.

I heard of unofficial (uncomfirmed) WW II era stories that sounds like this creature.

There were aquatic reptiles that fit this description somewhat.

Though Mosasaurs moved like Sea Snakes, it is one of several ancient species that fits the description.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainosaurus

Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 2

You said "He noticed a commotion one evening", I'm wondering how much light there was at that time and how clearly this creature could be seen by everyone. If the light was fading there could have been shadows on the water making it difficult to see properly and whatever it was didn't sound very active. How were they so sure it was a living thing? There could have been bits of debris floating about, planks of wood, anything really. To be honest that's more what it sounds like to me.

• Like 1

If the other crewmen were taking photos. then where are the pic's. ?

Ive heard of stories similar to this one. I would love to see a creature like that.

• Like 2

All lake monsters seem to look plesiosaur

The world’s top Zoologists state of the 100 million species’ on the planet earth that still exist, we have only categorized about 10 t0 15 million of them. So all that’s left are animals only the local indigenous people see or come into contact with. This means when someone sees something strange, the first logical choice is not to come forward, as why risk all the heartache from the nay-sayers. This was the case with Sandra Mansi’s Photo of Champ. This poor woman had a blasted color photo for crying out loud and STILL debunkers told her she saw everything from a floating tree trunk, a bird, a wave, etc. For this reason Mrs. Mansi kept this photo hidden in her home for years and only came forward with it after many members of her family found out about it. I am always struck by the psychosis of witnesses’ like these, who never try to harp on notoriety but only come forward when asked, or when they meet someone they find is sincere to share the sighting. One thing is for certain, I have faith in people in general. People are not stupid, and although they will not be able to articulate in text-book academic terms the correct method of locomotion, aquatic behavior and rhythms, or what sub-species the creature they saw belonged to, but they know when they witness something not an average everyday event. Here’s the REAL problem, Where are all the scientists? Where scientists (Most not all) fail the world at large, is in new discoveries. New discoveries are NEVER found from the university’s faculty lounge, or from the classroom. This is not the first an only time such a creature have been seen in these parts. The Pembroke Dock Sea Monster was sighted by many folks and this photo was even taken. Where there any scientific inquiries or searches done? No.

As a military veteran I know, a crowd of military men during war time are not easily excited by something outside of their wartime activities. Crocodiles, dolphins, whales, or flock of seagulls wouldn't do it, but a dinosaur sure would.

Edited by Saitung
  • Like 1

The world’s top Zoologists state of the 100 million species’ on the planet earth that still exist, we have only categorized about 10 t0 15 million of them. So all that’s left are animals only the local indigenous people see or come into contact with. This means when someone sees something strange, the first logical choice is not to come forward, as why risk all the heartache from the nay-sayers. This was the case with Sandra Mansi’s Photo of Champ. This poor woman had a blasted color photo for crying out loud and STILL debunkers told her she saw everything from a floating tree trunk, a bird, a wave, etc. For this reason Mrs. Mansi kept this photo hidden in her home for years and only came forward with it after many members of her family found out about it. I am always struck by the psychosis of witnesses’ like these, who never try to harp on notoriety but only come forward when asked, or when they meet someone they find is sincere to share the sighting. One thing is for certain, I have faith in people in general. People are not stupid, and although they will not be able to articulate in text-book academic terms the correct method of locomotion, aquatic behavior and rhythms, or what sub-species the creature they saw belonged to, but they know when they witness something not an average everyday event. Here’s the REAL problem, Where are all the scientists? Where scientists (Most not all) fail the world at large, is in new discoveries. New discoveries are NEVER found from the university’s faculty lounge, or from the classroom. This is not the first an only time such a creature have been seen in these parts. The Pembroke Dock Sea Monster was sighted by many folks and this photo was even taken. Where there any scientific inquiries or searches done? No.

As a military veteran I know, a crowd of military men during war time are not easily excited by something outside of their wartime activities. Crocodiles, dolphins, whales, or flock of seagulls wouldn't do it, but a dinosaur sure would.

Look for an uncropped/untouched Mansi photo.I see the object resting on a sandbar.

I never seen a Mansi interview with the husband, and kids that were with her that day.Have you?

• Like 1

No I have not seen or heard of such an interview and that would be great. I never thought of that, as it would lend credence to the entire event, great idea!

Edited by Saitung
  • Like 1

No I have not seen or heard of such an interview and that would be great. I never thought of that, as it would lend credence to the entire event, great idea!

As a kid I loved these mysteries.Then I realized that I wanted to believe.I am skeptical now, but still interested.

• Like 1

Amazingly, the marine's description of the encounter and its perpendicular movement reminds me of an Oarfish.

"A creature was traveling in the water in a perpendicular fashion, just slowly enough to frighten the crewmen into thinking that their vessel would collide with this beast. The creature, whose long back broke the water and looked something like a crocodile's, had its head held out of the water as it traveled. "

From wikipedia:

"The oarfish was observed to propel itself by an amiiform mode of swimming; that is, rhythmically undulating the dorsal fin while keeping the body itself straight. Perhaps indicating a feeding posture, oarfish have been observed swimming in a vertical orientation, with their long axis perpendicular to the ocean surface."

So far few documents are mentioning oarfishes to reach up to 17-20 meters.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Giant_Oarfish.jpg/800px-Giant_Oarfish.jpg

Edited by qxcontinuum

Amazingly, the marine's description of the encounter and its perpendicular movement reminds me of an Oarfish.

"A creature was traveling in the water in a perpendicular fashion, just slowly enough to frighten the crewmen into thinking that their vessel would collide with this beast. The creature, whose long back broke the water and looked something like a crocodile's, had its head held out of the water as it traveled. "

From wikipedia:

"The oarfish was observed to propel itself by an amiiform mode of swimming; that is, rhythmically undulating the dorsal fin while keeping the body itself straight. Perhaps indicating a feeding posture, oarfish have been observed swimming in a vertical orientation, with their long axis perpendicular to the ocean surface."

So far few documents are mentioning oarfishes to reach up to 17-20 meters.

http://upload.wikime...ant_Oarfish.jpg

However, the Oarfish's head is in the same linear plane as its body, it could not be traveling with its back out of the water and its head held above the water. Assuming this is a true account, this thing, whatever it may have been, made a commotion that attracted attention. The delicate undulating dorsal of an oarfish would hardly cause a ripple on the surface much less attract the attention of the sailors.

It seems very unlikely that any of the giant marine reptiles still exist (other that a few marine turtles) but it's a mighty big ocean and who knows what is yet to be discovered.