Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4th grader suing another for bullying

Merc14

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is this lawsuit frivolous or needed?

• Frivolous, let the kids handle it.
    • A necessity as bullying is getting out of hand.
    • Who cares.

Honestly, there are only bad options when it comes to bullying. I would say it is alot better than shooting a school up. So yeah, it's not a good choice but faaaaaaaaaaar better than the alternative. If you can have the courts vindicate your rights instead of believing the entire world is out to get you, then maybe that will make kids go that route as opposed to other, horrific options.

Furthermore, I think it gives parents and school officials extra, monetary incentives for disciplining bullies. If you hit them in their wallet, they will be more hard pressed to stop the bullying.

As for anyone who will argue -wow, a lawsuit or shooting up a school, I fully understand that a small small small number of children who get bullied end up going on a rampage but even a small fraction is too large a number.

Edited by Thelaw1
  • Like 6

I honestly don't think that there can be any good response to bullying, I was bullied a great deal growing up and rather than retaliate or seek revenge I allowed it to help me build a tolerance to ignorance. Kids are ruthless, especially nowadays and I feel for anyone being subjected to such treatment. However, with the proper guidance and wisdom the children can overcome these trying times. Think I mentioned this movie in another thread, but the movie "Disconnect" comes to mind, really good one.

• Like 1

I remember when I was bullied in school... I eventually did what every other kid did that was bullied... I punched him - hard... We fought,

and it was pretty much a draw... but he became a friend and I was never bullied again...

sigh.... now lawyers are getting involved... So this kids family sues the other kids family - and lets say they win... This kid will have to watch his back from then on,

because the "bully" will go out of his/her way to "get even" for getting him in trouble... And if he loses the lawsuit, he'll be the laughing stock of that school

for years...

• Like 9

I was bullied until I punched the guy in his jaw and it was over just like that. Bullies act tough usually they are not, come to think of it I don't think I was ever bullied again. You gotta have a backbone, I hate to resort to violence but I wont let people walk all over me either.

• Like 6

If the reporting in the story is correct, I don't see how the mother has any other option. It was not an isolated event but the result of multiple attacks and apparently the school did little if anything to address the problem.

On a personal note, kids that are bullied just have to fight back a little. Bullies are bullies because the kids being bullied let them be. Any type of response will usually be enough to let the bully know your done and they'll move on to the next kid who won't stand up for themselves. And sadly, with remorse, I speak from experience.

• Like 3

I'm of two minds, and it's a very fine line...however.

It's hard to see someone getting bullyed, and my first reaction is to stand up for them and protect them.

But I can also see the point where sometimes you have to stand alone and face your bullies. If we always step in, will people really learn to deal with tough situations?

• Like 3

I'm of two minds, and it's a very fine line...however.

It's hard to see someone getting bullyed, and my first reaction is to stand up for them and protect them.

But I can also see the point where sometimes you have to stand alone and face your bullies. If we always step in, will people really learn to deal with tough situations?

The last sentence is the bottom line, kids have to learn to solve conflicts.

If we step in every time kids have a conflict they will never learn to solve it by themselves. So, if it does not look like anybody is about to get hurt we should stay out of it.

• Like 3

4th grade is like saying 4th year, so that means both kids are 9 years old??

In uk the age system works differently, I think

What I think is there are so many levels to bullying and so many types of bullied kids and various levels of support for the bullied kids, that you can't stamp one solution on it: "Punch them in the nose!" "Get over it!" "Sue!" "Move!" "Whah! Whah! Quit whining."

It really is a case by case basis. And if a parent gets involved and the situation is serious and warrants intervention then..

But again "serious" and a subsequent "solution" would vary from situation to situation, child to child.

My H punched his bully too. And viola! No more bullying and no one "told" on him. But this was years ago.

Are there zero tolerance policies for violence in some schools? So the bullied kid ends up with it on his school record (or if 18 worse) and expelled.

Somehow I don't think me, female, punching out my female bullies would have resulted in the same.

So my two-cents, it needs to be addressed, but there is no one size fits all bullying scenario or solution.

Certain kids are notoriously easy prey. Are they capable of handling it?

"Handling it yourself" or "keeping it to yourself and being tough" DOES NOT mean you ever get over it or it doesn't seriously effect your school performance and self worth and have long lasting effects.

The real problem is that parents have to resort to suing and some kids have to resort to violence (punching etc not just mass school stabbings or shootings) to get it to stop.

Yeah it's the way of the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. The phrases bully country and bully leader and bully boss get used too. Should we always just "Get over it" too?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

Are there zero tolerance policies for violence in some schools? So the bullied kid ends up with it on his school record (or if 18 worse) and expelled

I had to do community service and pay for a dentist bill for a tooth that I broke. Not sure if its on a police record or not.

I want to know what the school was doing while this bullying was going on.

Because I know full well here in Oz, any report of bullying is investigated by the teacher at the very least to get to the truth of the situation.

• Like 1

Quitecontrary is correct, your kid hits the bully and guess who gets labeled violent. If schools have a zero tolerance rule then they have to ensure a 100% no bully campus or suffer the consequences. Is that possible? No. This is why zero tolerance is the stuff of dreams and was destined to lead to this ridiculous mess. Hopefully the suit results in a huge fine and the district cancels zero tolerance because it isn't possible to achieve.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

I remember when I was bullied in school... I eventually did what every other kid did that was bullied... I punched him - hard... We fought,

and it was pretty much a draw... but he became a friend and I was never bullied again...

I've had almost the same situation occur, minus the becoming friends part...

Its not the same for kids today. The internet alone makes bullying a 24 hour activity. And kids can be vicious.

• Like 2

Yes. The bullies will.

Buy the kid a gun. If there's multiple bullies, an AR-15 (junior edition) will do nicely.

Some things should be solved between people and without police. This will, most likely, only make other kids hate him and only possible way to solve this is to beat up the guy. Fighting is heavenly thing and no one died from it.

I think that man is becoming a woman with time, is it that thing called evolution, hmm, not sure.

Buy the kid a gun. If there's multiple bullies, an AR-15 (junior edition) will do nicely.

I know your joking but damn that's dark. :blink:

• Like 1

Isn't a lawsuit sort of an adult decision for a 4 year old? I think he's being coached.

I like what Sir Smoke aLot said... people should be able to work most things out without resorting to police and lawyers?

Some things should be solved between people and without police. This will, most likely, only make other kids hate him and only possible way to solve this is to beat up the guy. Fighting is heavenly thing and no one died from it.

I think that man is becoming a woman with time, is it that thing called evolution, hmm, not sure.

I know several people from church who had their kids bullied at a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL!! For gawd's sake.... And they ended up home schooling, because the teachers "didn't see anything".

So homeschooling, or charter schooling, or going to a different school in the school district is also an option. Many times the change of environment fixes the issue.

The last sentence is the bottom line, kids have to learn to solve conflicts.

If we step in every time kids have a conflict they will never learn to solve it by themselves. So, if it does not look like anybody is about to get hurt we should stay out of it.

Yeah, but if the kids are unable to resolve it. Like if one is high functioning autistic, or it is a boy bullying a much smaller girl. And it is repeated multiples of times, (Which is what seems to have been going on in this case.) then the parents need to take drastic action.

sigh.... now lawyers are getting involved... So this kids family sues the other kids family - and lets say they win... This kid will have to watch his back from then on,

because the "bully" will go out of his/her way to "get even" for getting him in trouble... And if he loses the lawsuit, he'll be the laughing stock of that school

for years...

I had the same thing happen to me. I was always small in school. Even in highschool I was about 135 pounds at 18. Every couple of grades I'd get into a whopper fight with some idiot bigger kid and get beat up some. The thing is that the bully has to know that you are not a victim. Even if you are much smaller, they will go looking for easier prey if you resist enough.

The bully, "getting even" really depends on it they are humiliated or not. If you fight behind a building or something, then they usually will just leave you alone. If somehow you beat the bully down publicly, then you could be in for revenge attacks.

My guess is that the bully in this case will be forced to leave school and will not have the opportunity to get revenge. Driving is like 6 or 7 years down the road for these kids, so I don't see the bully seeking out the victim kid.

• Like 1

Isn't a lawsuit sort of an adult decision for a 4 year old? I think he's being coached.

I like what Sir Smoke aLot said... people should be able to work most things out without resorting to police and lawyers?

It used to be that kids would say, "I'm going to have my Dad go over to your house and kick the crud out of your Dad!" Then the dads would get together and spank their respective kids and tell them to keep at it if they both want more punishment.

Spanking, or other corporal punishments, are now considered Child Abuse, if I remember right....

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

yeah lets sue a 4th grader because 4th graders clearly have the mental capabilities to be responsible for all their actions :innocent:

I am honestly shocked at all the people who voted in support of this. What the hell is wrong with people? its a 4th grader!

I guess when it comes to getting money from someone there is no honor.... The people who voted in support of this make me sick. You legitimately have some messed up morals if you support this.

• Like 1