Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heavens For Sale?

StarMountainKid

Quite possibly in future some neuro-technlogy could be developed that would sustain life in a dying brain and upload into it an artificial but realistic continuation of consciousness, i.e. a Heaven.

One could choose the kind of Heaven one wishes. This simulation would last as long as the Heaven Providers exist, which would presumably be forever, or at least as long as a stable society exists. Of course, disclaimers would be included in the contract as well as warrantees and various other legal mumbo-jumbos.

Services would be provided on a cash-only basis, naturally.

My question is, would you opt for one of these simulated Heavens when you're legally near your death, or hope for some authentic religious Heaven instead? (I'm thinking even athiests and true believers may still have some doubts in their minds about the subject on their deathbeds, and may change their minds one way or the other before it's too late.)

(My little ficticious story on the subject:) http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1283&showentry=27522

I'm reminded of a Star Trek episode titled "The Thaw". It was a Voyager episode in which the crew turn up to a planet in the end stages of an ecological disaster. On the planet are several aliens in stasis. Their bodies are frozen to wait out the ecological disaster, but their minds are in a computer simulation. And though the simulation was intended to be held as a paradise where every wish was catered to, underlying everything they did was a fear that they might not survive, that something might go wrong. Slowly this fear manifested itself in the program until it was completely overtaken, at which point the aliens were in a continuous living hell (not literal "hell" as in fire and brimstone, but fear and terror always).

I suspect that even the most sophisticated computer program wouldn't be a heaven/paradise forever. At some point it would turn into hell. Whether it be by a subtle change in the program (such as the episode I mentioned) or whether it simply be the case of human boredom, this computer simulation would offer nothing but a temporary waypoint on the road to true death, and whatever lies beyond. Maybe I'd take the heaven for a short-term stay, just to enjoy it like a game. But eventually, I will have to take death as the final option, and accept whatever waits on the other side (which I believe is eternity with God).

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 3

I will go for the authentic, real Heaven thank you. No hope - it's certain and guaranteed - as everyone has the opportunity for it to be certain and guaranteed. Merely believe and have faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, repent of your sins, and walk in the light of our Lord and Savior!!

• Like 1

I will go for the authentic, real Heaven thank you. No hope - it's certain and guaranteed - as everyone has the opportunity for it to be certain and guaranteed. Merely believe and have faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, repent of your sins, and walk in the light of our Lord and Savior!!

As guaranteed as any book can.
  • Like 1

Selling Hair Tonic to Bald Eagles comes to mind.

I'm reminded of a Star Trek episode titled "The Thaw". It was a Voyager episode in which the crew turn up to a planet in the end stages of an ecological disaster. On the planet are several aliens in stasis. Their bodies are frozen to wait out the ecological disaster, but their minds are in a computer simulation. And though the simulation was intended to be held as a paradise where every wish was catered to, underlying everything they did was a fear that they might not survive, that something might go wrong. Slowly this fear manifested itself in the program until it was completely overtaken, at which point the aliens were in a continuous living hell (not literal "hell" as in fire and brimstone, but fear and terror always).

:P

• Like 1

It would be fun to be in a virtual matrix, but I have no need to fool myself.

As guaranteed as any book can.

The people who wrote the Bible were inspired by God. That is to say, the words written were motivated and encouraged by the Holy Spirit. I am sorry you do not share the same belief as I do, there is nothing I can say or do to change your belief, only God can change your heart. I hope this happens so you can experience a true, real eternal life and not settle for anything sort of the real Heaven.

Selling Hair Tonic to Bald Eagles comes to mind.

Seems as though you are not aware that Bald Eagles have white feathers on their heads so what does hair tonic (not sure what that actually is) have to do with a bird or Heaven.

Seems as though you are not aware that Bald Eagles have white feathers on their heads so what does hair tonic (not sure what that actually is) have to do with a bird or Heaven.

It's a phrase that denotes having a made up cure for a made up disease.

The people who wrote the Bible were inspired by God. That is to say, the words written were motivated and encouraged by the Holy Spirit. I am sorry you do not share the same belief as I do, there is nothing I can say or do to change your belief, only God can change your heart. I hope this happens so you can experience a true, real eternal life and not settle for anything sort of the real Heaven.

Thats not nice or true.

And even if it were, might want to keep your judgements interpreted from a book written in the infancy of this world, to your self.

There is someplace good for every one after this world. God Bless, you know the rest.

Not everyone is supposed to go to Jesus' world. Including but not limited to many "Christian's".

Judge not.

".....One could choose the kind of Heaven one wishes. This simulation would last as long as the Heaven Providers exist, which would presumably be forever, or at least as long as a stable society exists. Of course, disclaimers would be included in the contract as well as warrantees and various other legal mumbo-jumbos.

Services would be provided on a cash-only basis, naturally.

My question is, would you opt for one of these simulated Heavens when you're legally near your death, or hope for some authentic religious Heaven instead?

Greetings,

Myself, I am quite pleased with that which I hope for.or as you put it, the "authentic". Mine has no disclaimers and is quite straight forward.

Warm Regards

JimmyK

Yes, of course they were; and Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman, he said so.

Don't feel sorry for me, I once held these superstitious beliefs too but I got better.

• Like 1

I thought the holy spirit (the "comforter") didn't come about until Jesus's baptism by John? Wouldn't that mean only the NT could have been inspired by the holy spirit?

I would think all you would end up with is a computer simulation of a human mind. Your brain would be no longer function, so your experience would wouldn't be in a computer, your being would be at the worm farm or off for recycling by the universe. In the case being transported in Star Trek. You're totally disassembled and turned to energy, I would think that would really hurt.

The idea of a computer generated heaven is pretty abhorrent to me, why would I want my mind to slowly decay in a world of illusion? (and as PA pointed out, it would decay - entropy is inevitable, especially in relation to what the human mind creates for itself.)

The only time I would agree to such a thing is if it was temporary stasis for a long journey through space or some such, definitely not for a chance at an "afterlife".

• Like 1

I keep thinking of doctor who 'silence of the library' and 'forest of the dead'

• Like 2

Sometimes I come here just for the ironic humor!

:)

I'm too smart to reply on this thread..

428d15697d.jpg

• Like 2

I'd give it a shot. As long as the FDA approved it. Lol. Nothing chanced, nothing gained.

I thought the holy spirit (the "comforter") didn't come about until Jesus's baptism by John? Wouldn't that mean only the NT could have been inspired by the holy spirit?

The Holy Spirit has always been around. The Old Testament is filled with hundreds of references. It was the Holy Spirit who caused Jonah to be swallowed by the whale and vomited up on shore. It was the Holy Spirit who gave Samson the power of many men. And many more.

However, the Holy Spirit as a "comforter" was sent only after Jesus' death, as Jesus promised such would be sent (not on his baptism by John, the Spirit did come upon Jesus, but the comforter was not sent at this point).