Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained loud Popping noise

nerdoboy

This happened to my wife and I early last Thursday morning 5/30am and it set our landing smoke alarm beeping, and tonight I was sat in the kitchen alone and it happened again , I'm glad it's happened to others as I thought we were going slightly mad ! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This happened to me today while driving. It sounded like a balloon behind my left hear, above my head slightly, but a balloon pop as clear as day.   I inspected the tires,  under the seats, under the hood and I drove back to the scene where I had been driving. There was nothing. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Seriously thought I was losing my mind, read this post and now I really think I am lol. This just occurred tonight with my husband and me. He heard/saw the first time. We both did the 2nd time. And I just witness a 3rd. All coming from different locations 2 outside 1 inside. Anyone have any theories?

• Like 1

Ok so we've all heard this loud balloon popping sound, are there any similarities? I'm from Australia, I guess most here are from USA, so the geographical factor is out, I do recall when it happened to me it was a cloudy night with possible lightning conditions outside although not stormy but it was maybe electrically charged sort of weather. Any similarities there? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard it. I thought it was a balloon popping, but there are no balloons. It went off right behind me. It was definitely physical, not my imagination. Nothing is wrong with the power outlets. There's no smoke. I have a wife and small child in the home so I'm concerned. I'm in Tokyo by the way. 

• Like 1

i believe in the spiritual world, which is why I try to debunk things first just to make sure of the validity.  Because of seeing and hearing spiritual things on a regular basis - i investigate everything as soon as it occurs.

Popping that has occurred for me and the result of investigations so far: Not that it wasn't something else for you : 

2 liter plastic drink bottles have done this frequently - so when you hear it, recall if you recently poured coke from a 2 liter plastic bottle. 

Breaker box or fuse box or old house with faulty wiring 

Windows making a popping noise when temp lowers outside. 

doors  pop when temperature changes 

light bulb bursting - and you find it the next day. 

If not explained - when it wasn't explained this is what I believe it is: 

.... spirit is trying to get your attention to warn you or to wake you up about something that has been going on in your life. sometimes it may be something that you need to make a decision about and prolonging it could result in negative results.   It may simply  be a phone call to a loved one who you haven't talked to in a while and they are about to pass on.

Get a pen and paper and sit and listen - and write exactly what comes to your mind.  - you may be given instruction as to what it is about.  if you have ever experienced these sort of things - you can relate 

• Like 3

Understanding auditory hallucinations

"Auditory hallucinations refer to auditory percepts that a person experiences when awake that are not elicited by an external stimuli. They may be experienced as coming from anywhere in external space, “in the mind,” or on the surface of the body. The contents vary widely and may involve language or other sounds, such as music, footsteps, telephone ringing, buzzing, scratching, whistling, bangs, animal calls, water falling, or engines. Noise volume varies from hardly audible (eg, whispers) to very loud."

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/schizophrenia/auditory-hallucinations-adult-populations

It's a neurological hiccup. If once in a blue moon don't worry. If it happens often get checked by a Dr.

Edited by davros of skaro
POP!
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for your feedback! I discussed it with the wife today and we're just going to be cautious in the room where it happened, unplug any appliances from the electrical outlet when we're not using it. Clarissa64, your spiritual suggestion is good advice to follow even if one does not hear a strange, loud pop! Alex110798, I thought of the sonic boom, too, but I was the only one who heard it. Definitely sounded as if it came from within the room, not aircraft outside. davros of skaro, you bring up a very valid point. I'm not inclined to believe it, as I am almost certain it was not in my head. Having said that, I do suffer from tinnitus and a hallucination is within the realm of possibility. Thanks again!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Trozki said:

davros of skaro, you bring up a very valid point. I'm not inclined to believe it, as I am almost certain it was not in my head. Having said that, I do suffer from tinnitus and a hallucination is within the realm of possibility. Thanks again!

Y/W

There's a wealth of info if you Google "tinnitus auditory hallucination nonpsychotic", and check out the video below.

On rare occasions I experienced "hypnagogic" hallucinations both visual, and auditory (never at the same time). This is when my neurochemistry was inbetween awake, and asleep states.

People can have olfactory, and tactile hallucinations too.

• Like 2

Great video. I love those guys. Thanks for sharing. I just know what I heard, it was a loud balloon pop. Almost certain it wasn't an auditory hallucination. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Trozki said:

Great video. I love those guys. Thanks for sharing. I just know what I heard, it was a loud balloon pop. Almost certain it wasn't an auditory hallucination. 

Just keep in mind that an hallucination can come from the subconcious. In other words a thought form that either combines with other thoughts to form something unlike the conscious end result, or dismissed from fruition. Either due to stress, tiredness, or other factors causes the neurological flow to jam up, and pop out where it would not normally go.

Here's an hypothetical example: You are in your chair reading the paper which you've done many times before. This time you catch a momentary glimpse of your long dead cat coming into the room. Was it a cat ghost, or your subconcious analyzing past memories of the past situation when coincidentally a hiccup neurochemically happens. This throws the thought you are not even aware of into not your eyes, but inbetween where the visual signals come from straight to your brain. Whew I hope that made sense...?

This does not rule out a paranormal reality, but it does put scrutiny where it deserves. People want to believe the fantastic because it feels good, and emotions are not always the pathway to truth.

It's good to look for a physical causes like heat expansion of materials causing a pop for instance. Our memories are fallible, and we can overlay them with something more familiar like a balloon pop for example.

images (6).jpg

• Like 2

Guys can I just say, and I don't speak for everyone here, but from what I experienced and I guess the majority here as well, was NOT any auditory hallucination. It was, as stated by most here, an audible, loud popping sound in the room I was in, and then again 5 seconds later. It was NOT a hallucination. That is confirmed, at least by me, 100%. I think anyone would know if it was a hallucination. It is something else entirely. 

• Like 1

Even if it was, and again I am stating emphatically that it is NOT, but fo the more science minded folk here, let's just pretend it is, then WHY would we ALL be suddenly having these EXACT SAME auditory 'hallucinations' at the same time here? Is there something in the air? Separated by vast geographical distances, Tokyo, USA, Australia? That's even more strange than what I suspect is is, that is, something otherworldly. 

It could be The Pop Man. When I was a kid, there was a Brit kid in the school who said that The Pop Man came to his home. It took me a while to realise he was referring to a soft drink delivery man. I guess he'd be a Soda Man elsewhere !

• Like 1

For some on topic content I remember one auditory hallucination vividly. About a decade ago I heard my deceased mother call my name. It was like an exact recording of her calling me like she would if I was in a different part of the house. 

It happened while I was sleeping, but around the time I normally wake up. I was startled awake still hearing midway with my eyes open. I did not know what I know now, but considered it as a leftover of dreaming.

I heard noises sorta like a pop at times, but it was the old windows. It was spring loaded, and it would stick internally, but the heat of the sun would expand them, and it would snap into place. Replacing them stopped that noise.

2 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

The least he can do is throw something creative into the ring like micro black holes for instance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole

I learnt something...who knew? (okay maybe many knew)

• Like 2

May I post something? yesterday The door at the theatre slammed shut without wind movement and all got a fright. so a lady says to my son- must be the ghost of the place. (he is six)

He.looked at her and simply stated :No, there are many reasons the door could have slammed shut. what a proud moment. 

I do give credit to paranormal,  but sometimes it is just explained by physics. I think we all don't see it that way. I for one look for explanations before making conclusions.... 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I just now like fifteen minutes ago out of nowhere there was a very very loud pop or bang with a flash of light like a match flicker it was about 5 inches above the floor in the middle of the room after investigating there is nothing anywhere to prove it happened at all.....wtf?

• Like 1

Could be ball lightning http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140106-earthquake-lights-earthquake-prediction-geology-science/

I was close to ball lightning one time. I heard a loud electrical popping sound and saw flashes of light coming from behind me. I didn't see it but my friend did, he said it was a ball of light that appeared popped and cracked and then disappeared. I read where seismic activity can release electrical charges, which is what I think it was from, it was a totally clear night.

Edited by jsowersby

• 1 year later...

I have just experienced this popping sound.....this has been 2nd or 3rd time now.....always while I’m sleeping and wakes me up startled!!!! I hate it cause it’s so weird and frightening.....no way of preparing....hoping I don’t have a heart attack .The sound is more of a Bubble wrap pop! Very loud over my bed maybe 12ft high

• Like 1

Well glad to hear I'm not the only one puzzled over this but so far I've had it happen two times to me within this last 2-3 months max, and both are very different from each other and (at least in my case) leaves 100% no room for the possibility of it being any kind of hallucination or exploding head syndrome or other mental discrepancy after how it happened the second time. 

Anyway, first time it happened I was up late in my room, and this was in Newport Beach California, at about 2am particularly stressed over an issue in my life I've needed to make a decision on for just over a year now and still haven't despite it being a pretty big problem I'm having and funny enough it does have to do with my relationship with God (Christian) and I remember I was deep in thought over it sitting at my desk when just to the right of me and no more than a few inches to a foot away I hear a loud bang noise with a bright flash and immediately thought my phone that was sitting to my right about a foot away at the time had exploded (and it's a new Samsung so honestly my first thought was "oh no I've got one of the exploding kind too!" Lol ) But surprisingly when I looked there was not a single sign of spark or residue or anything at all except the fully working phone and an empty desk, and I'm very very very detail oriented and meticulous so if there was a trace of anything I would have found it but it's like it came from thin air. 

Strange and confusing certainly was, but here's where it gets really interesting and makes for a great compare and contrast, at least for me, to sort out what this could and could not have been at least in my case. 

Fast forward to just a few days ago and now I'm really scratching my head over this. So first time it happened was super late at night in my room alone in California when it happened. Second time however I really don't think things could be more flipped as far as who when and where goes as I am currently just over 7200 miles away right now (still on winter break from college) and visiting family with my mom over in Melbourne, Australia. This time also it was mid day just after lunch, maybe 12:30-1pm and a nice sunny afternoon when I figured I'd go by myself to get lunch at this huge, popular shopping center called Westfield down the road from me and when I was in the food court having just gotten a burger and walking away with my plate to find a seat heading toward the middle cause it was very crowded. Having walked no more then 10 feet away from the food stand (with the food court itself being basically a big square/circle with the food places all around the edge mostly, and I was walking to the middle), suddenly, and this time directly in front of me and at least twice or thrice as loud as the first time, a huge bang goes off with the feeling of when your at a fireworks show and really close to a big one go off and you feel that kinda wave of sound go through your chest but not quite that strong, and this time it had no flash, no nothing and came from a spot equal distance between me and a family sitting at a table eating where I was walking. I don't know what surprised me more between the invisible bomb that just went off or the unreal speed that the mom sitting a the table just ahead of me had literally snatched her 3-4yr old boy right out of his chair and into her chest like I had just shot off a gun or something. Needless to say, the bang was in fact so loud that every single person there, whether walking, sitting or still working behind the counter, all went to a complete silent stare at the spot just in front of me where not a single overhead light, plant, cable or anything but myself and the tile I was standing on could be seen as the culprit to the invisible grenade that seemingly just took me out as I was the only person standing within 15 feet of the bang and the family at the table who was closest otherwise we're not quite so close as they were a few seconds before the noise made supermom, her kid and her husband jump out of their skin and a few feet backwards. 

So I hope that's detailed enough as I simply will not accept that, given the difference in setting, immediate surroundings and environmental conditions, compared to the first time that this (again, at least in my case) could have been due to any sort of whether/environmental phenomenon such as ball lightning or some kind of static buildup or a sonic boom, nor any such physiological or subconscious effect as I was alone the first time and doubt anything induced mass hysteria in 30+ people who all heard the same thing clear as day and had enough security guards ask me about it to be told otherwise...

Not sure how much else there is as far as physical reasonable causes go that fit both very different occasions but I'd love to hear any soemeone may have. 

****And as a side note I'm 21, in absolutely perfect health, have a very strict healthy diet, and have a national award in physical fitness signed by the president to rule out any kind of bodily or mentally rooted causes as far as I'm concerned. 

• 9 months later...

Crazy to see this is a real thing happening.  About 4 years ago was with 2 buddies in my room.  And we heard this popping sound like a balloon. Popping or a firecracker. We all heard it sounded like it came from under my head. Never heard it before it was odd but we brushed it off later that day I was by myself.  And I heard the Same thing and this time it came from the the nightstand by my head and I saw a flash of light  flash on the ground where the noise cane from out of the corner of my eye.  It was far enough from the wall plug in for it to have been that and I saw the light flash on the ground.. I've always thought it was maybe spontaneous combustion  defenetly a strange experience. I'm glad other people have had this expearence

Popping noise are sometime caused by compression or decompression of a container while the temperature is changing. Zinc roofing can do it too. Usually at the same time of the day. Other examples I observed myself:

The oil tank behind my parent summer cabin is doing a good popping noise twice a day in summer.

I had a plastic bottle near my fireplace and it was doing a popping noise( while cooling down) and a hissing noise(while heating) each time I was heating the fireplace.

Edited by Jon the frog

• 2 months later...

This just happened to me yesterday.  I'm glad to have found this thread.  I just now joined so I could add my experience.

My daughter and I were sitting together at the dining table, her in my lap, talking with our backs to the kitchen, when a sudden loud POP made us both jump.  My immediate impression was that it came from behind me, in the kitchen.  I looked everywhere.  There was nothing.  Like all of you, I've mentally run through and ruled out nearly every possibility I can think of.  It did sound like a balloon popping, but louder...or like the sound of something bursting under pressure, like a plastic soda bottle, or a can of biscuits.  

I am 46, my daughter is 6.  We both heard it, we both jumped.  We searched together.  We talked about what we'd heard.  It frightened her.  For a few hours afterwards, she repeatedly said, "Mama, that really scared me", so of course I reassured her.  

We live in central Texas, out in the country.  Brick home, concrete foundation, about 15 years old.  Heavy black clay soil, which shifts a lot and makes foundation issues very common here.  The only evidence of such issues with this house are some cracks in the kitchen tiles and a few cracks in the exterior brick, all of which have been there since we moved in six years ago.  (I did note, however, that a previous poster mentioned the possibility of kitchen tiles popping if they separate from the foundation.)  We have dogs, cats, etc.  No dogs were in the house, the cats were asleep in another room.  No other family members at home.  No appliances on, other than the obvious (fridge, etc).  Mid-afternoon, around 2pm, on a cool, cloudy day.  No unusual weather, beyond the fact that it's been an unusually wet year, and the ground is completely saturated.  I even examined the wooden chair we'd been sitting on together, wondering if it cracked.

I'll be exploring the electrical possibilities.  Several days ago, I did also notice a very faint burning smell in the kitchen/utility area, but it only lasted a few minutes and was gone before I could pinpoint it.  Also, this house was built by a drywall contractor, and whoever he got to do the electrical work may have been a little iffy, as we have had to repair a few things that weren't done quite right, so I am a little concerned over that.

I should mention...there was a murder-suicide in this house nearly a decade ago.  However, we have been here six years now, and there has never been anything out of the ordinary.  No weird noises, or lights, or sightings, or temperature changes...not even any uneasy feelings.  Absolutely nothing.  The house is clean.  I have a background in spiritual healing, and I'm open to the possibility of paranormal phenomena.  I also know that most things can be explained more simply, I'll always look for the physical cause first.

I'm completely baffled by this, though.  I really want to know what it was.

Edited by LoraWP
left something out
  • Like 1