Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roswell alien photo

Does anybody know why and/or who named it Bob? The name certainly depicts that it was of male origin.

Edit to say - If it's a hoax, it would have to be a small framed skinny female (possibly a young teenager) ....same applies to the others (aliens) in the above video.

The body structure does say female to me.....maybe it got the name Bob to cloud the fact that it was a female (human)

That is an interesting point. I think we just assume they are male. Bob, little green men, etc.

• Like 1

That is an interesting point. I think we just assume they are male. Bob, little green men, etc.

So are you saying they call all little green/grey men Bob sinewave?

I'm curious, why anyone would assign human gender to an alien? Why would aliens be male or female. They are not from here.

Gender is not a uniquely human trait. Though there are exceptions, it is fair to assume complex life forms would require genetic contributions from two members of the species. I suppose it is possible to have a genderless species or something even simpler. At least on Earth, asexual reproduction is generally limited to simple organisms.

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 1

So are you saying they call all little green/grey men Bob sinewave?

Not at all. I am saying it is interesting that we naturally infer the male gender role when it comes to aliens.

Not at all. I am saying it is interesting that we naturally infer the male gender role when it comes to aliens.

Yes, I suppose we do.

Who said anything about assigning human gender to an alien?

Umm! did I miss something?

Here is what you posted

If it's a hoax, it would have to be a small framed skinny female (possibly a young teenager)
The body structure does say female to me

Is that in reference to the alien?

here is what someone else posted

A Zipper on His Space Suit !

and another

Maybe he was naked and the Air Force put clothes on him.
  • Like 1

Gender is not a uniquely human trait. Though there are exceptions, it is fair to assume complex life forms would require genetic contributions from two members of the species. I suppose it is possible to have a genderless species or something even simpler. At least on Earth, asexual reproduction is generally limited to simple organisms.

Correct, but why would there have to the same situation elsewhere in the universe. Here on Earth there are snakes that are only female. Why couldn't there be situations in which there are multiple genders? There is even a story of people that are born neither male or female.

Here is what you posted

Is that in reference to the alien?

here is what someone else posted

and another

LOL, talk about grasping at straws.

Even the post didn't come up :lol:

Goodnight.

LOL, talk about grasping at straws.

I provided a list of places where posters assigned gender to aliens.

snapback.pngsinewave, on 27 June 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

Yes, I suppose we do.

You agree that people do. You admit that you do. Why do people assign human gender to aliens. In fact, they assign human attributes to aliens. They give them humanoid form. They have mouths and breath through them. They walk upright. They have a head with eyes.

These aliens don't sound alien at all to me. They sound like people reporting people. These are people in costume. I think people report what they are familiar with which is other people. There is no reason for people to assign any earthly attributes to aliens. Aliens should be alien. And what I hear reported is earthly, not alien.

• Like 1

Correct, but why would there have to the same situation elsewhere in the universe. Here on Earth there are snakes that are only female. Why couldn't there be situations in which there are multiple genders? There is even a story of people that are born neither male or female.

I suppose anything is possible and we should not assume just because it works here it works everywhere else.

• Like 1

We know the limitations of our anatomy. We swallow food over our windpipe. Why not have 2 openings?

Why have the skull on a neck? In the Known Universe series there is an alien with the skull inside of the body protected by what we might call the shoulder area.

Aliens are seen with 2 arms and 2 legs. Why not 3? That would have 2 in front and 1 in back to form a tripod.

I see the assignment of male/female to aliens as the tip of the iceberg. It is just one of many issues are are truly earthy that are assigned to aliens.

There are 2 eyes on aliens. Why not multiple eyes? Why not large ears? Why is there a nose on aliens? Why not no nose?

There should be a long list of issues that could possibly be different, yet what we always see is what can be done in a Hollywood movie: cover a real actor with scales or feathers or face paint, add a few ridges or smooth out the features and declare it an alien.

• Like 2

I'd like to first find out what's flying around our airspace. Then worry about who or what is piloting them.

I'd like to first find out what's flying around our airspace. Then worry about who or what is piloting them.

The only way to approach that (imo) is to start with flight characteristics, or the mechanics of flight (and I don't mean the nuts and bolts of what it might be). That will take mass monitoring of our skies on a huge scale though. Side-line all the old reports, start afresh. Plot flight patterns, look for patterns with those patterns, narrow the areas down one and at a time until you have a few likely areas of interest, then continue to monitor until you can hopefully catch something within an area and window of time so all instruments we have in determining the make-up of something can be pointed at it in the hope of narrowing down what it consists of.

None of that is happening though, and probably never will as there is little interest in pursuing the subject in any official capacity.

• Like 1

We know the limitations of our anatomy. We swallow food over our windpipe. Why not have 2 openings?

Why have the skull on a neck? In the Known Universe series there is an alien with the skull inside of the body protected by what we might call the shoulder area.

Aliens are seen with 2 arms and 2 legs. Why not 3? That would have 2 in front and 1 in back to form a tripod.

I see the assignment of male/female to aliens as the tip of the iceberg. It is just one of many issues are are truly earthy that are assigned to aliens.

There are 2 eyes on aliens. Why not multiple eyes? Why not large ears? Why is there a nose on aliens? Why not no nose?

There should be a long list of issues that could possibly be different, yet what we always see is what can be done in a Hollywood movie: cover a real actor with scales or feathers or face paint, add a few ridges or smooth out the features and declare it an alien.

All of that would be dictated by the environment in which the organism evolved. If they are wildly different from us then so probably is their planet from Earth. For example, stronger gravity would tend to yield shorter organisms and / or stronger bones. There are many more factors of course. That is just the start.

• Like 3

The only way to approach that (imo) is to start with flight characteristics, or the mechanics of flight (and I don't mean the nuts and bolts of what it might be). That will take mass monitoring of our skies on a huge scale though. Side-line all the old reports, start afresh. Plot flight patterns, look for patterns with those patterns, narrow the areas down one and at a time until you have a few likely areas of interest, then continue to monitor until you can hopefully catch something within an area and window of time so all instruments we have in determining the make-up of something can be pointed at it in the hope of narrowing down what it consists of.

None of that is happening though, and probably never will as there is little interest in pursuing the subject in any official capacity.

Assuming they are of their own making yes, they will probably not talk about all of them. Drones have existed since WWII, even earlier if you count balloons used to carry out remote attacks. Germany had UAVs during WWII that carried bombs. In the early 60's the CIA had the D-21 which could do Mach 3. The nice thing about designing drones is you are not constrained by the requirements of a human pilot. Removing those concerns opens the door to adding extreme acceleration and maneuvering that would injure or kill a pilot. Just a thought.

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 1

The issue here is a photo of a dummy which people took to be a real alien. One of the odd things about aliens is that people expect them to be like the ones we see in movies. Those are almost always humanoid in form. The ones that are reported by people are things like grays which appeared in a movie before they were reported by people.

• Like 1

All of that would be dictated by the environment in which the organism evolved. If they are wildly different from us then so probably is their planet from Earth. For example, stronger gravity would tend to yield shorter organisms and / or stronger bones. There are many more factors of course. That is just the start.

That's why we are interested in planets in the 'goldilocks zone'....I believe

ie. just right for our kind of organism and therefore a possible place to travel to in the future..?

• Like 1

The chances that aliens would even be remotely shaped like us is small. Slight variations in evolution could lead to lots of possibilities. Yet people report humanoids when they report aliens. I don't believe they report aliens at all. I think they report what they are familiar with which is people and life right here on Earth.

The environment is not the only control. Within the same environment there can be many forms of life. You see that right here on Earth. Would stronger gravity yield shorter organisms? That is our guess. There are ways to be taller without being stronger.

• Like 1

Which movie? When was the first Grey reported?

The Hills reported grays in 1961. They appeared in the Outer Limits 12 days earlier. Some people would like to retrofit Roswell with grays.

That's why we are interested in planets in the 'goldilocks zone'....I believe

ie. just right for our kind of organism and therefore a possible place to travel to in the future..?

The happy zone is where water is liquid and not too hot to destroy complex compound. It's a place where the sorts of chemical reactions we know can form life can occur.

Yeah, I knew Greys 'existed' long before the Hills.

They sure did, however, there was minimal sci-fi literature around at the time, yet of the few abduction cases reported prior to the Hills, (earliest being 1897 I think) they all reported tall, slim, humanoid aliens...so the popular belief being fielded by books etc wasn't making it's way into the reports (not the one's I have seen anyway).