Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would ET contact challenge religious faith ?

UM-Bot

I asked William Lane Craig this question once,

He said it wouldn't make a difference as he would know that the ET's were also creations of god,

Which is a silly answer if they're more advanced than us and come with a different religion...and because of the sheer size of the universe, that's a big possibility.

We're not center stage in the game of life.

• Like 1

For 120 years people just stopped having children? That is as ridiculous as the flood itself.

Not when the women didn't want children and doing what ever they wanted. As for nkahs sons only being a hundred that still excludes them as children and they didn't die in the flood.

I asked William Lane Craig this question once,

He said it wouldn't make a difference as he would know that the ET's were also creations of god,

Which is a silly answer if they're more advanced than us and come with a different religion...and because of the sheer size of the universe, that's a big possibility.

We're not center stage in the game of life.

I disagree all life is center stage in their lives. As for them being created by our god, according to Mormon teachings that may not be so. Our god has brothers and sisters who also became god. Who may have done things different than ours.

• Like 1

I disagree all life is center stage in their lives. As for them being created by our god, according to Mormon teachings that may not be so. Our god has brothers and sisters who also became god. Who may have done things different than ours.

Got that right!

:)

However, this is not their world. And must abide Fathers wishes.

Not when the women didn't want children and doing what ever they wanted. As for nkahs sons only being a hundred that still excludes them as children and they didn't die in the flood.

And they all told you this.. Thankyou for sharing the news.
  • Like 2

In the beginning there was no disease, pain, suffering, or death. But when sin entered the world, it brought suffering with it.

The declaration "There is no God" is what is known as an absolute statement. For an absolute statement to be true, I must have absolute knowledge. let's assume that you have an incredible 1% of all that knowledge in the universe. Is it possible, that in the knowledge you haven't yet come across, there is ample evidence to prove that God does indeed exist? If you are reasonable, you will have to say, "Having the limited knowledge that I have at present, I believe that there is no God." In other words, you don't know if God exists, so you are not an "atheist," you are what is commonly known as an "agnostic." You are like a man who looks at a building, and doesn't know if there was a builder.

Edited by maximusnow
  • Like 1

In the beginning there was no disease, pain, suffering, or death. But when sin entered the world, it brought suffering with it.

If many Christians don't accept this myth, what makes you think an atheist or agnostic will?

BTW if your earlier watch analogy wasn't enough to demonstrate you don't understand nature science, your builder analogy removes all doubt. You're trying to humanized the universe.

• Like 1

The declaration "There is no God" is what is known as an absolute statement. For an absolute statement to be true, I must have absolute knowledge. let's assume that you have an incredible 1% of all that knowledge in the universe. Is it possible, that in the knowledge you haven't yet come across, there is ample evidence to prove that God does indeed exist? If you are reasonable, you will have to say, "Having the limited knowledge that I have at present, I believe that there is no God." In other words, you don't know if God exists, so you are not an "atheist," you are what is commonly known as an "agnostic." You are like a man who looks at a building, and doesn't know if there was a builder.

Amen Brother!

Who can go to the Finger Lakes in NYS and deny the evidence left behind by the All Mighty's very own Digits?

Can you say "Blind Fool"? I can.

frazetta_alien_crucifixion.jpg

My question is what would happen if they shared the exact same beliefs?

Taken from an early National Lampoon cover. Edited by hammerclaw

Makes sense to me.

A chief’s problem is that his tribe is killing each other because they are jealous of their wives and husbands cheating on them. He is a good chief and makes a law that any guilty party will receive 30 lashes. The next morning he is summoned that one was caught in the act and it’s his mother. The chief is devastated and desires to not punish her, but this would make him a bad chief and a hypocrite. The chief ties his mother to the tree and tears her shirt open, and wraps his body around hers and takes every lash to spare her. This act fulfilled the good law and spared those he loved even though he created the law.

Nice! :)

This is how civil beings should discuss our differences; several of you have forgotten more than I will ever know in science. I have enjoyed each exchange and even though we will never agree, I respect each and every one of you. Cheers!

:clap::tu:

Edited by maximusnow
  • Like 1

This is how civil beings should discuss our differences; several of you have forgotten more than I will ever know in science. I have enjoyed each exchange and even though we will never agree, I respect each and every one of you. Cheers!

:clap::tu:

Amen!

This fellow Brother knows the true source of science:

Amen!

This fellow Brother knows the true source of science:

Santa has his own channel? He sure is a dick.
  • Like 1

Santa has his own channel? He sure is a dick.

Being able to see who's naughty or nice gets to him during the Spring and Summer months.

• Like 1

Come on...Religious people are the most accepting, open minded people on the planet......HA!!!!

If aliens have their own religions and they are incompatible with ours, then we are...hosed.

Contact would not challenge my faith, in fact, I expect it to happen as part of the Final Tribulation. What could possibly do more damage than alien(s) disavowing the Living God? You think skeptics are difficult to convince/convert, wait'll you get a load of the alien(s) level of Atheism.

KJV Luke 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Luke-21-26

Other Translations of Luke 21:26

Mens hearts failing them for feare, and for looking after those things which are comming on the earth; For the powers of heauen shall be shaken.

- King James Version (1611) - View 1611 Bible Scan

men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

- New American Standard Version (1995)

men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world: for the powers of the heavens shall be shaken.

- American Standard Version (1901)

Men's strength will go from them in fear and in waiting for the things which are coming on the earth; for the powers of the heavens will be moved.

- Basic English Bible

men ready to die through fear and expectation of what is coming on the habitable earth, for the powers of the heavens shall be shaken.

- Darby Bible

Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for apprehension of those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

- Webster's Bible

while men's hearts are fainting for fear, and for anxious expectation of what is coming on the world. For the forces which control the heavens will be disordered and disturbed.

- Weymouth Bible

men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world: for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

- World English Bible

My question is what would happen if they shared the exact same beliefs?

I'd laugh if they worshipped the old pagan gods, Woden, Thor, etc, etc. That'd make my day to see the look on the faces of all those abrahamic faiths. (Not that I wish them any ill, just think it'd be funny, thats all. To each their own. :) )

Contact would not challenge my faith, in fact, I expect it to happen as part of the Final Tribulation. What could possibly do more damage than alien(s) disavowing the Living God? You think skeptics are difficult to convince/convert, wait'll you get a load of the alien(s) level of Atheism.

KJV Luke 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

I would've thought the most damaging was the fictional creation story, but if you can get aliens from that vague verse you can spin anything.
  • Like 1

ISAIAH 13 Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text. The rest can be viewed in the source link

You can twist the bible to fit virtually any scenario or belief.I have no doubt if we found alien life some christian would pull a line out of the bible that supposedly makes reference to them.

I've never seen a bible verse that specifically mentions life anywhere but on Earth. However, God did create the whole universe, not just Earth. So, if there's life out there, it would be natural to assume that God created them too.

It wouldn't affect my faith, or the way I feel about God.

Come on...Religious people are the most accepting, open minded people on the planet......HA!!!!

Depends on the religion and the person. I suspect the reason we haven't been contacted is they know we would try to kill them.