Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would ET contact challenge religious faith ?

UM-Bot

There are good and bad entities, in all worlds, advanced and primitive. Like atracts like. I have seen benevolent brothers from other places. (DID NO harm). freaked me out a lot. I know who they are now. Ill do better next time. :)

:P

2 Corinthians 11:14

14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

• Like 1

I suppose there could be religious Aliens who would send missionaries to other inhabited planets to proselytize. This scenario would mak a pretty good novel.

I suppose the opposite could happen as well. Aliens trying to stamp out human's religions with the idea of enlightening us to emperical truth.

• Like 3

Man is very egocentric and has often tried to "do away with" God, because of the implication is, that if we are created beings and not products of random chance and evolution, we might be accountable to our Creator.

Who needs evidence? Thank God for human ignorance.

I am a Christian and it would not challenge my faith in Christ. If I took all of the parts and gears of a functioning pocket watch and placed them in a paper bag and shook the contents for a billion years, I would never open the bag and find a working pocket watch. The odds of finding a working pocket watch are better than the Earths creation by chance in chaos. I respect all other beliefs but this one is mine. Jesus said, he is not from this world, so by our definition, he is an Alien / ET.

If you put straw into a bag, would you find a straw man?
  • Like 2

Mormons have been preaching about life in other planets since the 1830s. So I don't see them being affected by a visit at all.

• Like 1

Who needs evidence? Thank God for human ignorance.

If you put straw into a bag, would you find a straw man?

Can you make the straw to put in the bag, to make the straw man.

• Like 1

Can you make the straw to put in the bag, to make the straw man.

I leave that up to the creationists.
  • Like 1

Mormons have been preaching about life in other planets since the 1830s. So I don't see them being affected by a visit at all.

You think Google Glasses is a Mormon invention borrowed from Joseph Smith's Seer Stones?

:P

2 Corinthians 11:14

14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Found one! :)

Of course the religious type would say God created them too. Oh brother. Evolution makes sense and shouldn't be too hard to believe. I guess it's the fear of dismissing your little story book.

• Like 2

Of course the religious type would say God created them too. Oh brother. Evolution makes sense and shouldn't be too hard to believe. I guess it's the fear of dismissing your little story book.

Evolution and creation go hand in hand. Something needs to be created in order for it to evolve. My hammer evolved in to a nail gun. Both were created.

Unless you think consciousness came from primordial soup :)

Edited by Omnaka
  • Like 1

You think Google Glasses is a Mormon invention borrowed from Joseph Smith's Seer Stones?

No, I think the seer stones are god's version of Google glasses. Smith would have known about glasses but not about computers.

• Like 1

I do. Actually I already know.

Seek with an open mind and you will too.

Physical evidence challenges your open mind.

Good question! I think die-hard Christians like my mother would just cling more closely to her Bible and take ET contact as the proof that God created the entire universe, not just this planet. Whereas I see the Bible as the story of the Jews, she sees it as so much more. Of course, she is almost 100 and was a Bible School teacher for a very long time.

Same with mine. She'll be 90 in September.
  • Like 1

Evolution may explain things rationally and scientifically, but it doesn't have all the facts. The recent find in China goes to show that.

I think that religions are challenging themselves these days. Forget what ETs could do to them. Most of the religions are breaking up from the inside.

We have radiacal muslimism that is a serious challenge to the teachings of the Koran.

We have a St. Louis Catholic Bishop who said he wasn't aware statutory rape was illegal.

We have lots of tiny bones buried all over Europe at abbys and other religious institutions.

We have caste issues haunting the Hindi.

We have gender issues taunting the Buddhists.

Let's be real here. The issue of ETs will barely touch what each of these religions have already done to themselves.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

That makes me wonder further if ET finds us, will he/she/it &/or their familiar community/colony of partners have a religious crisis?

Or just say, "Oh no, another pestkie humanoid type!" Then slam our planet like a ping-pong ball.

• Like 2

Wait....didn't the Catholic Church come forward and say something about this already? I think they said something like God is bigger than just humanity. I am not Catholic of course but I think thats a good way to think about it. I believe in a god I am just not fond of belonging to any religion.

I know that the Vatican has an observatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Observatory

• Like 2

I think the only 2 religions affected would be Christianity and Muslim, and if there was a war with a peaceful ET culture it would be due to either of these.

But I dont get religion - Christianity is pretty much a mash of other religions it has decided to destroy during history - Pagan, Roman, Egyptian, Greek. Most of all the stories in the bible are older stories rehashed with the "New" god.......the bible is a "Real" as the harry potter books - in fact there is more proof he exists.

I dunno. After the aliens ate the first few dozen missionaries I think the churches would get the idea they weren't regular, god-fearin' folk.

• Like 1

Divisive question definitely. As as open minded observer I have to say anything that challenges the comfortable faith people have enjoyed in their religious texts, is always going to cause people to question it, and ask why their omnipotent being has not factored in this eventuality.

I think it allows a reality check, and allows both skeptics and believers to re-evaluate that faith and look at its relevance.

Not an indictment towards religion, I have nothing but respect for those who have faith even though I have none myself, but it is an uncomfortable reality that may need to be faced....

• Like 2

Most religion s have some kind of text tradition that they follow,

I think the only 2 religions affected would be Christianity and Muslim, and if there was a war with a peaceful ET culture it would be due to either of these.

But I dont get religion - Christianity is pretty much a mash of other religions it has decided to destroy during history - Pagan, Roman, Egyptian, Greek. Most of all the stories in the bible are older stories rehashed with the "New" god.......the bible is a "Real" as the harry potter books - in fact there is more proof he exists.

The short scoop on Christianity, well my take on it... Law breakers stand before a good judge and are guilty of breaking the law. The good judge cannot allow guilty persons to go free or he is a corrupt judge and not good. The judge loves the law breakers but the sentence is death. The son of the judge, who never broke any laws, asks the judge if he can take the death sentence and let the law breaker go free. The judge is pleased in his sons sacrifice and the law would be satisfied. If the Son had ever broken the law, he would not be able to stand in the place of the law breakers. The good judge created the law because the law is good, but the people he loved were corrupt.

• Like 2

The short scoop on Christianity, well my take on it... Law breakers stand before a good judge and are guilty of breaking the law. The good judge cannot allow guilty persons to go free or he is a corrupt judge and not good. The judge loves the law breakers but the sentence is death. The son of the judge, who never broke any laws, asks the judge if he can take the death sentence and let the law breaker go free. The judge is pleased in his sons sacrifice and the law would be satisfied. If the Son had ever broken the law, he would not be able to stand in the place of the law breakers. The good judge created the law because the law is good, but the people he loved were corrupt.

Amen Brother!

God is the ultimate righteous judge.

The good judge was a poor creator then (never mind his fictitious account of creation).
  • Like 1

The good judge was a poor creator then (never mind his fictitious account of creation).

The creator gives his people free will, to choose to obey or break the law. Without a law there would be no law-breaking and no choice. We could create robots that say they love us and do good things, but it would not be real love. I believe the creator desires a people that choose to love him freely and not out of obligation or programing. He proves he is a good, loving creator when every human breaks the laws and he provides a way of escape. After the pardon, if I keep his laws, it is because I love the creator and not because I fear death. If I tell a million truths and say one lie, I will always be a liar. If I give away a million dollars and yet steal one, I will always be a thief. If I save a thousand lives and take one, I will always be a murderer. I am a law breaker and I cannot undo what is done.

• Like 2