Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hover cars to be built in Tel Aviv by 2015

seeder

Hover cars to be built in Tel Aviv

A 500m loop will be built on the campus of Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) followed by a commercial network, according to skyTran, the company that will build it.

Two-person vehicles will be suspended from elevated magnetic tracks, as an alternative transport method to congested roads, the firm promised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27995437

Now when I read this I was hoping it was 'proper hover' ability, so Im a little disappointed, BUT...the picture was pretty cool

• Like 2

Sounds like a variation of the kind of maglev monorail system they use in a few places like airports and so on, although I wouldn't mind betting that the IDF is funding research into hover cars as we speak. They'd make pretty good all terrain vehicles, wouldn't they.

• Like 1

Have you seen the debris those hovercraft whip up? Litter in the streets is bad enough without it being blown all over the place by hover cars. Not to mention pebbles.

A hoover hover sounds kinda cool though.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Have you seen the debris those hovercraft whip up? Litter in the streets is bad enough without it being blown all over the place by hover cars.

:lol: And the noise from REAL hovercraft is awful too, I think the article misleads somewhat, I mean really, all they are building is a new form of cable car

_75780496_75780495.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if the magnetic part of this could cause people with pacemakers problems.... I suppose it would depend on how powerful the magnetic field is,

and if it's shielded or not... Still, a pretty cool idea...

• Like 2

I wonder if the magnetic part of this could cause people with pacemakers problems.... I suppose it would depend on how powerful

the magnetic field

Good question.

Good answer:

http://www.transrapid.de/cgi/en/basics.prg?session=b204a6ee53aac6d8_155778&a_no=76&suchbegriff=pacemaker&r_index=2

• Like 2

I wonder if the magnetic part of this could cause people with pacemakers problems.... I suppose it would depend on how powerful the magnetic field is,

and if it's shielded or not... Still, a pretty cool idea...

I just imagined people with metal pins in their limbs being stuck to the ceiling etc. lol

• Like 1

its just an updated bus/train like service really , your going to be limited to where you can on these things if its on any sort of track

• Like 1

Obligatory joke about those guys being too good for the ground now........no, must avoid temptation......but on a side note, that is freaking awesome and I can hardly wait to see how it works out in reality.

Building hovering vehicles is still better. With no strings attached it gets u anywhere

• Like 1

Seems much less cost and energy-efficient than our MRT/LRT system. Why make a sky-rail with each car having a max seating capacity of 2 people when they can just build it like this?!

singapore_mass_rapid_transit_by_shenanigan87-d49ce01.jpg

Edited by Ashyne

While sounding great, it will, unfortunately, just be a target for terrorists.

At two people a pop?... No they will want to strike at something that affects mass numbers...

So could anything, by that argument they may as well not build anything including airports, shooping malls, or hold sporting events etc.
  • Like 2

I think that is really cool. It wouldn't rip up the town like a subway or train tracks. Sending that idea off to the new state Governor when he wins the election. I know they are talking about a making a train from Orlando to Miami, I bet would work out cheaper than building a train.

• Like 1

The future = you have an app on your phone that pin points your location. You hit the send button; a drone swoops out of nowhere and drops a harness. Your phone dings and a push button displays. You hit launch and the drone takes off with you attached. You can hit drop after you select on a map your drop location. You would be debited the cost and safety features are built in to avoid suicides or drops in hazardous areas.

At two people a pop?... No they will want to strike at something that affects mass numbers...

. IT depends on how many cars go off the rails. Take out some supports and a lot more the 2 people are affected.

Don see no diff between train n this. In fact this cars take up more space than a train

Everything is a target for terrorists. Schools, hospitals. roads, buses....

Its a bit like the Emmirates cable car in London. People thought it would be a target for terrorists - and it probabaly was... until they realised no one ever went on it.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone's pet project... Not practical at all. Probably there would be long lines, if people even found a need to use it.

The future = you have an app on your phone that pin points your location. You hit the send button; a drone swoops out of nowhere and drops a harness. Your phone dings and a push button displays. You hit launch and the drone takes off with you attached. You can hit drop after you select on a map your drop location. You would be debited the cost and safety features are built in to avoid suicides or drops in hazardous areas.

Yeah sure thing bro, I go to South Lake Tahoe and the tendants must operate/open/close the Gondola lift...yet people will be able to control their own drones?? LOL

FYI, there are FPV RC planes that are setup as drones, you need licenses just to fly one of those...no way your scenario is remotely realistic.

Similar principle but without magnetic tracks on operating state since 1901 in Wuppertal (Germany):

http://en.wikipedia....pension_Railway

:yes:

Edited by toast