Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
questionmark

'100 children a year accidentally shot'

34 posts in this topic

CrimsonKing

I can't think of a particularly valid reason why owning and operating a firearm should be less regulated than owning and operating an automobile. Both kill people but the former is actually designed to. Automobiles Don't Kill People--People Do--sounds kind of silly, doesn't it?

It does sound silly until you factor in morons who drink,text,or many other secondary activities some do once behind the wheel.

• Like 1

Duelix

I have a question for Americans, are you not required by law to keep your guns in a floor mounted safe when not in use? Just curious because thats how it is where I am.

OverSword

Are you mentally deranged?

Out of 300 million people about 20% are under 15 years old so that's like 60 million people and only 100 dead from accidental shootings. It's amazing really. Good job America!

Harte

I can't think of a particularly valid reason why owning and operating a firearm should be less regulated than owning and operating an automobile. Both kill people but the former is actually designed to. Automobiles Don't Kill People--People Do--sounds kind of silly, doesn't it?

In the most recent year for which data is available (2011):

31,940 firearms deaths (almost 2/3 were suicides)

32,367 automotive deaths (don't know how many were suicides.)

Hmmm.

Those regulations don't seem to be working good enough for you.

Harte

Skep B

Well, we'd need a few years w/ no regulations to really have a sense of how effective they are

and then

I have a question for Americans, are you not required by law to keep your guns in a floor mounted safe when not in use? Just curious because thats how it is where I am.

The laws vary by state but I'm unaware of any state that requires anything so draconian. In many states people are allowed to "open carry" - that is - carry a firearm properly holstered in open view. But if you want to carry concealed on your person - as most do - you need a permit. The second amendment acknowledges the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms. We take that right deadly seriously here. The opinions of those who are not citizens are sometimes entertaining to ponder but I think not many Americans care much about the drama our rights cause others. Not meaning to sound arrogant - it's just the way it is with us. Sandy Hook - horrible tragedy that it was - should frame the discussion for the entire world. If THAT wasn't enough to cause a nation wide desire to ban guns, NOTHING ever will.
  • Like 2

Hammerclaw

In the most recent year for which data is available (2011):

31,940 firearms deaths (almost 2/3 were suicides)

32,367 automotive deaths (don't know how many were suicides.)

Hmmm.

Those regulations don't seem to be working good enough for you.

Harte

No, you can't regulate stupidity away. Society does have a moral obligation to lessen its impact. That accidents will happen to good people is hardly justification for allowing easy gun access to the homicidal and suicidal..

Harte

No, you can't regulate stupidity away. Society does have a moral obligation to lessen its impact. That accidents will happen to good people is hardly justification for allowing easy gun access to the homicidal and suicidal..

There is no "easy gun access" to the homicidal. That is,no legal access to the presently homicidal, and who can predict who will become homicidal?

If someone with no gun became homicidal, could he not get a gun illegally or just use a knife?

If someone with a gun turns homicidal, wouldn't a gun in the hand of the potential victim seem useful?

Regarding suicides, how many would be saved if there were no guns?

I'd wager very few. Though half of all suicides in 2011 (about 20,000) in the US were gun related, the other half weren't.

post-39895-0-18127400-1404077904_thumb.j

Source: AFSP

Are we outlawing rope? Are we to assume that people won't commit suicide if they can't use a gun? What does that say about the other, gunless, suicides?

In the UK, where there is greater gun regulation, the suicide rate in 2011 was 11.8 per 100,000 people. Source

In the US, the rate (in 2011) was 12.3. Source

Harte

• Like 1

DieChecker

I would agree that it would have been better that those 100 kids not died, but we can't legislate away all deaths. On a Per 100,000 scale, this is about 0.03 per 100,000. Which is a very small and seemingly safe number. As others pointed out the people responsible for most of these deaths ignored the existing laws, and so I don't see how more legislation is really going to turn these numbers toward 0.

• Like 3