Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Problem of Escobar's Hippos

Eldorado

'A herd of hippopotamuses once owned by the late Colombian drug baron Pablo Escobar has been taking over the countryside near his former ranch - and no-one quite knows what to do with them.'

'"They found a creature in a river that they had never seen before, with small ears and a really big mouth," recalls Carlos Valderrama, from the charity Webconserva.

He went to look, and found himself faced with the task of explaining to startled villagers that this was an animal from Africa. A hippopotamus.'

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27905743

Interesting article and you gotta love this quote: "There are people saying, 'Oh why do you have to castrate them? Just let them be - castrate the politicians'” -- Carlos Valderama

lol

• Like 4

Love the quote eldo...

But they really need to remove that population of hippos... They will have no natural predators there (heck, hippos have very few natural preds ANYWHERE)...

Wild hippos in South America would be a big problem...

• Like 2

Members are reminded of these rules

2a. Offensive content: Do not post or link to content that is excessively violent, sexually explicit, depicts images of death, gore, pertains to graphic cases of violent or sexual crimes committed against children or that is of an otherwise offensive nature.

3c. Profanity: Do not use profanity, crude language or attempt to deliberately bypass the profanity filters.

Using an image that contains profanity is in direct breach of these rules.

Thank you for understanding.

• Like 1

But they really need to remove that population of hippos... They will have no natural predators there (heck, hippos have very few natural preds ANYWHERE)...

Forgive me if I don't volunteer. lol

In all seriousness, what they gonna do? Other than doing them in. The article even cites the World wildlife Fund as supporting extermination. 'Tis such a shame. :( Another black mark against Escobar's name, as if he needed any more.

• Like 2

unfortunately the most logical thing is to hunt them and get rid of them.

• Like 1

Tricky situation, they can't leave them there so have to do something. Shame if they have to kill them. They don't even know how many there are, the article says they estimate between 50 and 60, that's a lot of dead hippos.

• Like 1

I suppose instead of killing them they could tranq them (heavily) and transport them back to Africa, or to a zoo or something...

• Like 1

Hippos are territorial, irritable and aggressive. More people are killed in Africa by Hippos than all other animal related deaths combined. Draconian methods of extirpation are justifiable. Ten more escaped recently to join what has been described as a "sizable feral population" by the Colombian press. Yikes!

Edited by hammerclaw
  • Like 1

'A herd of hippopotamuses once owned by the late Colombian drug baron Pablo Escobar has been taking over the countryside near his former ranch - and no-one quite knows what to do with them.'

'"They found a creature in a river that they had never seen before, with small ears and a really big mouth," recalls Carlos Valderrama, from the charity Webconserva.

He went to look, and found himself faced with the task of explaining to startled villagers that this was an animal from Africa. A hippopotamus.'

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-27905743

Interesting article and you gotta love this quote: "There are people saying, 'Oh why do you have to castrate them? Just let them be - castrate the politicians'” -- Carlos Valderama

lol

Wouldn't work. Polititians reproduce by fission--like other vermin.
  • Like 1

I suppose instead of killing them they could tranq them (heavily) and transport them back to Africa, or to a zoo or something...

Worse off at an zoo than were they are now

Hippos are territorial, irritable and aggressive. More people are killed in Africa by Hippos than all other animal related deaths combined. Draconian methods of extirpation are justifiable. Ten more escaped recently to join what has been described as a "sizable feral population" by the Colombian press. Yikes!

Not all other animals combined, but I know what you mean. The main reason is that they don't act or look like a Lion/Croc/Snake/etc so there is a lack of precaution when around these animals.

Wouldn't work. Polititians reproduce by fission--like other vermin.

Whoa, take it easy buddy, that's offensive. My uncle is a politician!...the mod might come in and delete your post too...

Not all other animals combined, but I know what you mean. The main reason is that they don't act or look like a Lion/Croc/Snake/etc so there is a lack of precaution when around these animals.

Whoa, take it easy buddy, that's offensive. My uncle is a politician!...the mod might come in and delete your post too...

Oh, that just worries me to death. I was paraphrasing from Robert Heinlein's novel, Starship Troopers. In the book, it's a reference about Sargeants. Edited by hammerclaw
  • Like 1

Love the quote eldo...

The problem is, is there a "they" that will step up and do it. I'm not holding my breath.
  • Like 1

I love it.

And now they should introduce Siberian tigers into Alaska before impotent Chinese men wipe them all out from China and Siberia.

In case you don't know, the Chinese think that tiger bone marrow increases libido and fertility, and so they will do anything to get these bones.

I'd rather crush their nads, but transporting Siberian tigers into Alaska is maybe a better way of saving the Siberian tiger.

• Like 1