Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real-life 'Gollum' turns out to be a hoax

UM-Bot

A strange Gollum-like creature photographed in China has been revealed to be an actor in a costume.

Internet users were left baffled this week when pictures emerged on social media showing an odd gangled creature crouching down on some rocks.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/268338/real-life-gollum-turns-out-to-be-a-hoax

• Like 2

1st I've heard or seen of it. On one of the photos you can see the head mask is a different color then the body. So I dunno why it was not debunked immediately.

Edited by bulveye
  • Like 1

NO...Its real!

• Like 1

And here I thought they discovered the chinese chupacabra.

• Like 1

The pictures were just blurry enough to be taken seriously, and it's a good thing they were, or we might have seen the actor answering the call of nature.

"The unwary star was believed to have been taking a break to relieve himself behind some rocks"

• Like 3

The photo on the right is an obvious hoax, but in the photo on the left you can clearly see the red circle around the mysterious figure - proving it's authenticity. :mellow:

• Like 2

Its Frank Oz dressed has Gollum

Somewhere, a Cryptid researcher, after seeing this, threw a six page article he just finished about the sighting into the waste basket in disgust.

• Like 5

Somewhere, a Cryptid researcher, after seeing this, threw a six page article he just finished about the sighting into the waste basket in disgust.

Or sent it to the National Enquirer.
  • Like 2

So according to this film everyone in China goes into the wilderness only to pee.

What's this world coming to? Gollum can't even take a p*** anymore without someone wanting to catch a snapshot of him, fame is a b****.

• Like 3

Damn, I was hoping for the "clay man brought to life by a rabbi" gollum.

Edit- Ah, apparently the above is "golem".

Edited by DecoNoir
  • Like 4

Are people really that gullible and naive that they can be so readily "baffled" by an obviously hoaxed image?

What happened to critical thinking? Has that finally been killed off by woo and superstition of all sorts?

I mean, how could anyone even think it was remotely real unless one grew up in a closet wearing blinders and earplugs.

• Like 3

To cry wolf ... we have been so taken advantage of by hoaxers, that even if this were the real thing, no one would believe it anyway. Video lacking a credible source is worthless.

Just some poor guy with numerous physical and mental disabilities.

• Like 2

We all like to suspend our disbelief and enjoy a good yarn or mystery. I try to take all the stories and pictures in the spirit in which they are given. Ii's nice to have one's curiosity piqued, if only for a moment or two.

• Like 2

Just some poor guy with numerous physical and mental disabilities.

If you watch the old Black and white film "Freaks" theres a few of the individuals in it that have similar problems. SO, yes Mishkin nailed that one

• Like 2

If you watch the old Black and white film "Freaks" theres a few of the individuals in it that have similar problems. SO, yes Mishkin nailed that one

You are correct,got that movie on dvd somewhere around here...

• Like 1

there are quite a few heroin addicts in my town, so i see wizened-up, Gollum-like creatures almost every day!

• Like 2

I believe the condition is called Microcephaly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcephaly

Otherwise rather cruely known as "Pinhead" syndrome. Your right about the movie Freaks having a Microcephalic character, and also more recently the second season of American Horror Story had a microcephalic character.

Aside from that, this poor guy seems to suffer from numerous other physical conditions.