Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is the Universe Dark?

Weitter Duckss

If you have good eyes, I suppose you could see light from the ISS.

Why don't you try a fun experiment?

1. Take an ordinary flashlight, stick it right up in your eye, and turn it on and note how bright it appears.
  2. Give the flashlight to a friend, have them go to the end of a football field, and turn it on and note how bright it appears.
  3. Rent a spotlight, place it at the same end of the football field, turn it on, and note how bright it appears.
  4. After legally disavowing me of any responsibility for any loss of vision, stick the same spotlight right up in your eye, turn it on, and note how bright it appears.

Then see if you can formulate a theory regarding the perceived brightness of an incoherent, pseudo-isotropic light source in relation to the intensity of the source and the viewer's proximity to that source.

The reflector inside the shell of has a beam of light and the outside tread there is no. Carefully look at the ISS, there is no reflection of one cantimetar off its surface.

Angle, distance, wavelength can not give an answer to the same incident.

Outside the layer if there is no contact with matter waves there is no light.

Inside the tread along a beam of light exists and increase the visibility of and behind the reflector (secondary effect).

..clear to every scientist and layman in the world except me.

{extreme and mostly illegible misinterpretations deleted}

yes .. yes, it is.

Did you, Weitter, consider the other possibility that might explain this terrible dichotomy?

no .. no, he didn't (and won't, apparently).

Ignore activated.

• Like 1

Carefully look at the ISS, there is no reflection of one cantimetar off its surface.

Nonsense. If the ISS would not reflect (sun) light, we could not see it.

• Like 1

Nonsense. If the ISS would not reflect (sun) light, we could not see it.

You can see the ISS with your naked eyes when it passes overhead.

It looks like a star but will move from one end of your sky to the other in 5 mins. It looks like a star because off the sunlight its reflecting.

Edited by RabidMongoose

You can see the ISS with your naked eyes when it passes overhead.

It looks like a star but will move from one end of your sky to the other in 5 mins. It looks like a

star because off the sunlight its reflecting.

I`m an ISS spotter since 10 years or so BTW.

Newbie. I was a Skylab spotter.

• Like 1

Get any good footage? The brightest thing ive managed to spot in the sky sadly turned out to be the sun.

Get any good footage? The brightest thing ive managed to spot in the sky sadly turned out to be the sun.

The sun is very likely to be the brightest thing you will ever spot in the sky.
  • Like 1

Yeah but some ppl need a while to realize that fact. :lol:

• Like 3

Either our atmosphere is changing or the sun is fiercely expanding, it sure is brighter than i ever remember it, and hotter.

Im picking an atmospheric anomaly is the likely cause, acting like a mirror.

Either our atmosphere is changing or the sun is fiercely expanding, it sure is brighter than i ever remember it, and hotter.

Im picking an atmospheric anomaly is the likely cause, acting like a mirror.

Well, there is the slight global warming effect, but at a local level that generally isn't very significant (you could check with local meteorological records to see what is going on where you live), and there is the reduced ozone layer meaning more UV gets down to us.. but I think your impression is more about your changing perceptions as you grow up/older (less fit, less tolerant, skin more sensitive to sunburn, etc). We (as in science, meteorologists, etc) have been measuring the Sun's output/size, as well as ground temps and UV levels etc for more than a lifetime now, and while it is changing, it isn't quite as drastic as you described! In a way it shows why you shouldn't trust anyone's anecdotal opinions - not even your own!

BTW, I know this is an obvious question but I havta ask - have you changed address/latitude/altitude over the years?

Well, there is the slight global warming effect, but at a local level that generally isn't very significant (you could check with local meteorological records to see what is going on where you live), and there is the reduced ozone layer meaning more UV gets down to us.. but I think your impression is more about your changing perceptions as you grow up/older (less fit, less tolerant, skin more sensitive to sunburn, etc). We (as in science, meteorologists, etc) have been measuring the Sun's output/size, as well as ground temps and UV levels etc for more than a lifetime now, and while it is changing, it isn't quite as drastic as you described! In a way it shows why you shouldn't trust anyone's anecdotal opinions - not even your own!

BTW, I know this is an obvious question but I havta ask - have you changed address/latitude/altitude over the years?

Ok, i thought the rule was older and wiser lol. But seriously, todays news mentioned that us kiwis are 4 times more likely to get skin cancer than you guys over the ditch sadly enough over 700 deaths would have been prevented if they had lived in Oz.

To answer your question, yes i have moved from the high country, elevation just under 500m above sea level, to sea level.

But it was at the higher altitudes what i noticed the suns glare, like intense diamond, and it was greatest further into the afternoon as the years ticked by. This is backed by temperature readings i.e a thermometer in the porch.

Don't have any movies (yet..) but here's a coupla shots I took earlier this year - first a time exposure showing the ISS trekking thru the sky over my place:

gallery_95887_40_1101.jpg

at the time it was just a little short of Venus in brightness - it's far brighter than any of the surrounding stars and to the naked eye looks a bit like an airliner with its landing lights on.. The ISS is the thin line, the bright glare at bottom left is the Moon.

And here's an Iridium satellite 'flaring' - these satellites have big solar panels that every now and then catch the Sun - if you can get to exactly the right place at the right time, it's an amazing sight as the initially quite dim satellite increases in brightness until it positively glares (much brighter than Venus at its best), and then a few seconds later, slowly dims again..:

gallery_95887_40_19548.jpg

If you want to try to catch these events, drop over to Heaven's Above and register your location, then get the 10 day ISS or Iridium forecasts - then it's just a matter of luck with the weather... Feel free to come back and ask how to best use the info...

• Like 3

Don't have any movies (yet..) but here's a coupla shots I took earlier this year - first a time exposure showing the ISS trekking thru the sky my place...

Hey that photo of the space station is a pretty good likeness to a ufo i seen. I mentioned it in the ET section elsewhere.

Damned iridium satellites! Thanks ChrLzs, that definitely solves another ufo that has been gnawing away at my mind :tu:

Just curious but are there any satellites or rockets that glow bright red? I followed one on a dark night from horizon to horizon it took 30 secs or so. It was spectacular at the time but i have always wondered if it was man made or not.

• Like 1

yes .. yes, it is.

Did you, Weitter, consider the other possibility that might explain this terrible dichotomy?

no .. no, he didn't (and won't, apparently).

Ignore activated.

If I wanted to teach high school used a book author.

No matter how scholarly and suggestive passed on someone else's knowledge can not close our eyes and not see that there are two clearly delimited by parts (and visually).

One part contains the visible matter and others do not, or insignificant. First you have the light, heat and matter, and the second not.

First you have collision of radiation with matter, only the second radiation.

What you want to teach me? .. that if I'm not blind and obedient that I did not welcome ?

If I wanted to teach high school used a book author.

No matter how scholarly and suggestive passed on someone else's knowledge can not close our eyes and not see that there are two clearly delimited by parts (and visually).

One part contains the visible matter and others do not, or insignificant. First you have the light, heat and matter, and the second not.

First you have collision of radiation with matter, only the second radiation.

What you want to teach me? .. that if I'm not blind and obedient that I did not welcome ?

I don`t know if I`m the only one, but I do not understand what you are talking about, here and in yr other threads. I cannot find any

sense and/or contents in yr writings.

• Like 1

I don`t know if I`m the only one, but I do not understand what you are talking about, here and in yr other threads. I cannot find any

sense and/or contents in yr writings.

I gave up reading him: I do wish people would post things worth dealing with instead of trying to respond to his stuff.
  • Like 1

Weitter Duckss What is your language? As in, this is a predominatly english speaking forum, though we have pple from all over the world posting here.

What is your native tongue? What translator are you using? This may be what is causing the most problems here, I am not great on grammar or even sentense structure, but I am speaking english so most people can comprehend what I am attempting to say/convey.

With your posts it is hard, we are having problems understanding what you are trying say/explain/ask

I am thinking this is the problem. SO curiously just want to know, where are you from/what language is your native tongue.

• Like 1

"The Lord said 'Let there be light'"......Just my flippin' luck to be Duty Electrician!

Hey that photo of the space station is a pretty good likeness to a ufo i seen. I mentioned it in the ET section elsewhere.

Damned iridium satellites! Thanks ChrLzs, that definitely solves another ufo that has been gnawing away at my mind :tu:

Just curious but are there any satellites or rockets that glow bright red? I followed one on a dark night from horizon to horizon it took 30 secs or so. It was spectacular at the time but i have always wondered if it was man made or not.

Only objects that streak across the sky while glowing bright red, orange, or yellow is objects re-entering the atmosphere. Friction between the ozone particles and the object heat it up to tremedious amounts of heat, that is why we have fireballs out of the sky. Of course if they are slowly moving across the sky and changing color, it is probably due to light traveling through the particles between you and the Satellite/ISS which means it is man-made. Be happy you won't see any rockets being shot through the atmosphere, due to no country has launched any ICBM's over any continents. ICBM's carry nuclear warheads unless they are testing the missiles. As for planets, they stay an certain color while stars shine.

Edited by Uncle Sam

If you see anything brighter than the sun in the sky then there is a very good chance it will be the last thing you ever see. If you want to know why ask a dinosaur.

• Like 6

If you can imagine a cross between Venus and an airliner passing overhead, then that's what the ISS looks like.. It's as bright as Venus (depends on distance and angle) and moves at about the same rate as an aircraft passing overhead at say 10,000 feet-ish.

Iridium flares are really cool to see, but you have to be very lucky (or use Heavens Above!) to see a bright one. The 'glint' that they throw is very shortlived (about 5-7 seconds) and travels along a very narrow path. I thoroughly recommend taking the time to try to see one. That Heaven's Above site I gave earlier will tell you when they might be coming up for your area, but the trick is to look at the map (the links are clickable and the path of the flare is overlaid onto Google Maps so you can zoom in)- go for a drive to get yourself right in the middle of the 'glint'. After you have practiced and got one right, why not take a friend/s and tell them you have been contacted by aliens and know when they will be giving their next 'sign'?

:D

If it really went from horizon to horizon and was red all the way, hmmmmm... It's not common for satellites to be visible from horizon to horizon, but it depends on latitude and angle, so I guess we'll just accept that.. Several things can cause a satellite (or the ISS..) to be red - local atmospherics (eg smoke in the atmosphere), it having solar panels that are reddish (the ISS has coppery colored solar panels), the satellite/object itself being bright red - eg painted red (might be a Soviet booster stage) or with red crinkly foil...

My best guess would be the smoky upper atmosphere or ISS solar panels, but it seems strange that you would be lucky enough for the solar panels to be catching the sun at the same angle from horizon to horizon.

I guess it could also have been something (meteor or satellite or debris) that was just heating up as it re-entered the atmosphere, but that seems unlikely - usually as soon as it hits enough atmosphere to start glowing it will fall pretty quickly.. Finally, sometimes very high-flying planes may have a very bright red nav light and you may not be able to detect the usual flashing strobe that gives it away..

• Like 2

Weitter Duckss What is your language? As in, this is a predominatly english speaking forum, though we have pple from all over the world posting here.

What is your native tongue? What translator are you using? This may be what is causing the most problems here, I am not great on grammar or even sentense structure, but I am speaking english so most people can comprehend what I am attempting to say/convey.

With your posts it is hard, we are having problems understanding what you are trying say/explain/ask

I am thinking this is the problem. SO curiously just want to know, where are you from/what language is your native tongue.

Old Bosnian. Google translator.

It is difficult. OK. I am constantly reading using Google translator. If it does not be do, we will never accomplish this communicator.

If you see anything brighter than the sun in the sky then there is a very good chance it will be the last thing you ever see. If you want to know why ask a dinosaur.

When we find ourselves in an explosion of stars:

"In order for the explosion to happen, a very specific sequence of events is required.

One object becomes a nova and a large number (millions) of others with the same parameters just go on the same way. It is necessary to consider some very rare factors, like, for example, the impacts of large objects into planets, but even more rare – those that hit only a small part of the objects (one event in more than ten million of objects - stars).

Within the growth of an object, some smaller object is starting a reaction when colliding with a star. If that should remain a rare event, it needs to be a specific event under the specific conditions. The only possible specificity is for that object (the errant objects, incoming from outside the Solar system) to arrive vertically onto one of the poles and to hit the opening of a cyclone that exists on the poles of stars. That way, it would get an opportunity to break into the interior of an object. Comet ISON is the evidence that objects with vertical trajectories really exist in the Universe..."