Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is love real?

Myles

I'm curious to peoples thoughts on this. Is love a real thing? Or is it just extreme "liking" or contentment. Maybe it can be defined as being infatuated.

I put it in the Natural World section because if real, then it is natural. If need be, move it.

• Like 2

I think the word love is very broad as one can experience many types of love. I for one love my son more than anything on this planet, I would literally do anything for him. I would say I love my other half but right now we're arguing so i'll reserve that comment for a later date :whistle: . Whether or not it is real, I mean what would you define as a real thing?

• Like 3

I like to think that it depends on how a person understands love. Understanding is based on our individual experiences, therefore some people might say that love is not real and some might think the opposite. I think that our individual interpretations of love might also have to do with every person's unique personalities and attitude.

I like to think that love is real. I think love is a true emotion. When people are concerned about the well-being of another person, when they hope/pray for the good of another person, when they cannot bear to see a person unhappy, I think that counts as love. I know I love my dog, my girlfriend, my Ma, (I love them each differently but it still is the same). I think love is goodwill, affection, attachment.

Narcissism is also a kind of love, it is the love and admiration for oneself. It's also similar/same, I think that counts too. BTW, I am handsome! :)

• Like 2

I think the word love is very broad as one can experience many types of love. I for one love my son more than anything on this planet, I would literally do anything for him. I would say I love my other half but right now we're arguing so i'll reserve that comment for a later date :whistle: . Whether or not it is real, I mean what would you define as a real thing?

You're right, I guess I didn't define it. I should have asked if love was its own emotion or if it is just extreme liking.

You're right, I guess I didn't define it. I should have asked if love was its own emotion or if it is just extreme liking.

Hmmm, such a tough question, I really don't know how to answer it. Perhaps the love for my son is more of a biological instinct more than anything? I mean the moment he was born I had this instant connection, I can't even describe it. I've never felt anything else like it so hmmm, I really don't know how to answer this.

• Like 1

About time for someone to pop in with a dry dissertation about brain cells and synapses and the neurochemistry of love.

• Like 1

It is real to the person who has experienced it. And different people, experienced it differently.

Be it temporary or not, only that person can channel and understand if he feels love

The answer to this one is both 'yes' and 'no'.

If the feeling is temporary then it's infatuation,

If it goes the distance then it's love.

Love is rare. Infatuation is quite common.

About time for someone to pop in with a dry dissertation about brain cells and synapses and the neurochemistry of love.

Ok, I'll bite. Here ya go.

Edited by redhen

It certainly is real. It is also expensive, irritating, frustrating, and often pretty pointless, coupled with exceptional and unforgettable and certainly something I would recommend. So yes, it's definitely real...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I often say Love at first sight is often cured by a second look. In reality I believe love is just a toned down version of lust... when you finally get to see and realize your lover isn't as perfect as you originally first thought, lol. It crossed the lines of intense passion & frustration with lots of compromises to achieve a livable harmony... My hubby & I have butted heads a few times over the years, but we've been together for the last decade and are still going strong so I can say I love my hubby & he tells me daily that he loves me.

i got ya' brother. (See above) :D

I would think that anything we think or feel is essentially not "real" but merely an interpretation of the results of chemicals on a specific biological being i.e us.

Just as beauty is not a real thing but merely a personal interpretation of something that an individual finds visually pleasing so you won't be finding a thing out there called "love" wandering the wild veldt anytime soon just as you will never find a thing called "beauty" or "evil" wandering around either. All are human created constructs born out of human interpretations of their world. Sadly many become too steeped in their own perceptions to be able to rise above it long enough to see things as they are rather than how they wish them to be.

Love and being in love are two different things. Love is real. Being in love is usually temporary but can turn to true love.

• Like 1

I believe love makes the world go round.

(Not in a physical sense, to clarify) :tsu:

I'm curious to peoples thoughts on this. Is love a real thing? Or is it just extreme "liking" or contentment. Maybe it can be defined as being infatuated.

I put it in the Natural World section because if real, then it is natural. If need be, move it.

Love isnt real. It can also be turned on and off at will unless someone is prone to obsessive compulsive thinking patterns.

Is love real?

YES!

Yes, love is real. It is an itense feeling and emotion we have about another person. Love shouldn't be confused with lust though, which can be quite frequently.

I always did like a conversation I had once with someone on why love does not last and why people find new lovers. Apparently something to do with instinct and new mates and that we only fall in love for the best mate with the best attributes they can give. We then go searching for someone else who can give us better offsprings, subconcsiously. Interesting but I don't know. We never stop truly loving family though but we do with others we fall deeply in love with. Perhaps there is some truth to it. Who knows...

Of course it's real. You would not be asking the question if it was not. What you have to decide is if its a meaningless chemical reaction, or something more. Then you might ask the question if a chemical reaction is really meaningless. Some tuff choices to make on a philosophical Level. But as a Married man and a father of three boys I can tell you extreme love is dam real. ;) think about that for a while.

I love my cat and she loves to dig her claws deep into my flesh randomly throughout the day.

So yes, love is real.

And my cat is a jerk.

• Like 1

Love can be real but it changes and evolves over time. Some people mistake passion for love and when it fades they realise it was never love at all. Really its just chemicals messing with our brains and it can be hard to control.

I think it is just liking someone allot. Then as time passes, contentment plays a role.