Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Celebrate Independence Day

OverSword

From the article:

This Fourth of July weekend across the country, police are excitedly announcing that if you don’t submit to a breath test at one of hundreds of unconstitutional DUI checkpoints, they can strap you down by force and take your blood from you without your consent.

Happy Independence Day. Where we celebrate freedom, liberty and police state tactics.

From Oregon to Arizona to Louisiana, police have announced that at their DUI checkpoints, if you refuse to take the breath test – which you’re fully within your rights to do, they can detain you until they get a warrant from a judge, then haul you to jail and draw your blood.

read it here

Thoughts?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

What won't the actual terrorists do in the name of public safety?

• Like 3

O.K, so I pull up to a checkpoint (which the SC says is constitutional) and they ask me to submit to a breath test. I display no signs whatsoever of being inebriated, so I refuse the breathalyzer ( It's my right ) So now the Police get a warrant to draw my blood (which the SC says is constitutional)

My rights have been violated.

My 4th amendment right to unreasonable search and seizure has been violated. It's unreasonable to believe everyone coming through a checkpoint would have some level of inebriation.

• Like 5

I once received a motivational speech from a Brit at work. In the Q&A a lovely young man asked how the British celebrate the Fourth of July.

It was rather amusing to see a 24 year old man being told that the Fourth of July is not a holiday in the United Kingdom.

• Like 2

In no DUI checkpoint that I have been through have they ever forced me, nor even asked me to take a breathalyzer.

In Alabama if you are pulled over for suspicion of DUI you can refuse the breathalyzer but you lose your license for a YEAR. Quite a price to pay to exercise one's rights. The idea of forced blood draws is outrageous.

• Like 4

In no DUI checkpoint that I have been through have they ever forced me, nor even asked me to take a breathalyzer.

With prisons for profit, let's hope it stays that way

and no excu$e is found to incarcerate you for your

own so-called good. Today it is too much as though

the patients had escaped the asylum to dictate citizens

wear virtual straight jackets and/or the public be hauled

off to FEMA camps.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

In Alabama if you are pulled over for suspicion of DUI you can refuse the breathalyzer but you lose your license for a YEAR. Quite a price to pay to exercise one's rights. The idea of forced blood draws is outrageous.

That would indicate that driving is not a right. My main gripe here is the presumption of guilt.

While talking about this earlier with a friend we talked about the consequences of driving while drunk. We came to the conclusion that the main danger while drinking and driving was not killing some one or yourself but rather just getting caught. In our 20's we had both driven drunk or the legal equivalent of drunk plenty of times and had never been ticketed or killed anyone. The biggest hazard of drunk driving is getting caught.

edit for: It's not the most tragic thing that can happen but the most possible.

Edited by OverSword

This is BS!

Not unexpected though,hell just look around a lil bit and you will find some almost begging to have more of their rights taken away....

Well, no one has the right to drive drunk. I'm not liking the forced blood test thing, but the breathalyzer test is fine IMO. Sadly, my daughter had a friend who was killed by a drunk driver. He was 26 years old and was taken out by a drunk who had entered the Mass turnpike going the wrong way.

• Like 4

Well, no one has the right to drive drunk. I'm not liking the forced blood test thing, but the breathalyzer test is fine IMO. Sadly, my daughter had a friend who was killed by a drunk driver. He was 26 years old and was taken out by a drunk who had entered the Mass turnpike going the wrong way.

Agreed!

That's why i will be at the beach walking everywhere i go....or stumbling haha

• Like 2

Agreed!

That's why i will be at the beach walking everywhere i go....or stumbling haha

Exactly, just get to where you want to be before drinking and make sure a sober person drives you back home. It's not all that difficult really.

• Like 4

I just think the whole idea of forced blood test are bs (somehow that has to be illegal if pushed) but if one can pass a breathalyzer wont be a big deal though

From Oregon to Arizona to Louisiana, police have announced that at their DUI checkpoints, if you refuse to take the breath test – which you’re fully within your rights to do, they can detain you until they get a warrant from a judge, then haul you to jail and draw your blood.

I would think that would be the preferred option if one was inebriated, give them a lot more time for the alcohol to leave their system.

Don't drink and drive then.

Driving is. It a right it is a privilege that has many rules and regulations attached to it.

• Like 1

Driving isn't a right it at all. When I get my license renewed I have to take a driving test because I have MS. If I don't pass I don't get a license and can't even drive the car home. Anybody who thinks the most harmful thing about drunk driving is getting caught is an idiot.

i,ve passed thru hundreds or more such check points, in nyc, cops set them up every major holiday, they do not make everyone blow the tube, first they look at you, if they do not find anything they want to look into more, they wave you go, otherwise they tell you to pull over to the side, and make you blow the tube. i have never been asked to blow the tube, at such check points, they always let me go, i guess i do not rise suspicion.

can they catch every single person driving drunk?? hell no, but they will catch most that are caught at check point. drunk drivers kill 2x as much as guns a year.

edit, one time i was asked to blow the tube, but it was not check point, it was right next to my house, i made a u turn over solid double yellow, right in front of them, they made me blow the tube, said "drive carefully", and left.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

O.K, so I pull up to a checkpoint (which the SC says is constitutional) and they ask me to submit to a breath test. I display no signs whatsoever of being inebriated, so I refuse the breathalyzer ( It's my right ) So now the Police get a warrant to draw my blood (which the SC says is constitutional)

has this ever happened to you, or it is just "what if" talk??

if you display no signs whatsoever of being inebriated, they will not make you blow the tube, if you are sober, and you know it, why would you refuse? i mean i understand refusing to open your house door for cops, or answer their questions, or let them search your car, since it may be used against you, but blowing into a tube when you are sober, i just do not get.

Edited by aztek

Driving isn't your right, its a privilege society allows.

Also, don't be an irresponsible jackass and drive drunk in the first place, problem solved! I have yet to see a police department that could give breathalyzer test to entire checkpoints, so John and Janey citizen have zero reason to worry.

Sounds more like b****ing against rules for the pure sake of b****ing against rules.

if you display no signs whatsoever of being inebriated, they will not make you blow the tube, if you are sober, and you know it, why would you refuse? i mean i understand refusing to open your house door for cops, or answer their questions, or let them search your car, since it may be used against you, but blowing into a tube when you are sober, i just do not get.

As long as it remains where those who arose suspicions are asked to blow, and not every driver coming through a checkpoint I don't have a problem. I just always seem to be the guy who gets scanned at the airport and It gets irritating to me.

Making a person take this test is saying that folks have to prove their innocents. It goes against the very foundation of this country. Guilty untill proven innocent is not a road we should ever consider going down.

Driving isn't your right, its a privilege society allows.

Also, don't be an irresponsible jackass and drive drunk in the first place, problem solved! I have yet to see a police department that could give breathalyzer test to entire checkpoints, so John and Janey citizen have zero reason to worry.

Sounds more like b****ing against rules for the pure sake of b****ing against rules.

how is driving not a right? Especialy when you have paid your dues.

Edited by preacherman76

how is driving not a right? Especialy when you have paid your dues.

That is exactly what makes it not a right. As long as you follow the rules, pay your taxes, get your driver's license, obtain insurance, and register your car you have the "right" to drive. I also have the "right" to assume that there are not any idiot drunk drivers on the road when I am bringing my kids home from our families picnic. If cops setting up a DUI checkpoint gives my children and I a .05% less of a chance of getting killed by a drunk driver, I am all for it.

Also, if someone refuses a breathalyzer test, which takes approximately 15 seconds...what assumption would YOU make about them?

• Like 1