Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EVP

MaryRF

This was dirceted, I am assuming, to AZDZ's post, which just put www.soundcloud.com

That's correct, my link cut off the end when I posted.

Go to that home page and type MaryRF into the site search, then hit "search for MaryRF", right below. You should be taken to a page with all three recordings.

Or try copy/pasting this...

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=MaryRF

Edited by AZDZ

This is the link posted earlier in the thread.

Only silence if you hit play on Soundcloud, but if you click download and get it on to your computer you should be able to listen to it with audio software on your computer. I got it playing through VLC.

As for me, I've listened to it and handful of times and it's no different than every single other "clear" "awesome" "class A" EVP I've ever heard. A lot of faint background noise that doesn't really sound like anything. Prime yourself to expect voices and you'll probably convince yourself there's something there, but play this for 6 people asking them to identify what's being said you'll get 6 different ideas about different voices saying different things at different times in the audio.

Sorry, but I'm just not remotely impressed and the more I listen to these EVPs described as being so good and hearing nothing remotely like a clear human voice, time after time, the more I wonder why they are taken seriously in the ghost hunting community.

• Like 2

Jesse Custer - just take your phone - I know it works on the iPhone, put it on voice recorder. Ask a question, it doesn't matter where you are (bathroom, bedroom, garden etc). Speak to the air, show them where the microphone is, then hit record. Make sure you are in a relatively quiet spot as a small noise becomes incredibly loud when you play back with the speaker to your ear. Also ensure you turn the ringer off on your phone. On play back listen out for anomalies. Most of the time they are clearly audible. Your best bet is asking how many souls are in the room with me now. I always get a number.

I've learned it doesn't matter what time of day, the state of the weather, or where you are, the spirits are around you and generally have nothing to do with the location.

Listening for EVPs is very much like learning a new language - you are training your hearing to listen through the white noise.

Good luck - remember, don't knock it until you've tried it. And nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

Clip 1 sounds like ravens or crows or magpies or some other birds, and occasional anomalous noises that could be scratching, rushes of air or the recorder brushing against something. The other clips also sound like that, minus the birds (or kids or whatever). I'm afraid I don't hear anything significantly resembling voices in any tone or volume, speaking any even glitchy words - it's just so much static to me, but I don't see images most people claim are in photos and such, so maybe I'm just not good at these types of things.

• Like 4

Jesse Custer - just take your phone - I know it works on the iPhone, put it on voice recorder. Ask a question, it doesn't matter where you are (bathroom, bedroom, garden etc). Speak to the air, show them where the microphone is, then hit record. Make sure you are in a relatively quiet spot as a small noise becomes incredibly loud when you play back with the speaker to your ear. Also ensure you turn the ringer off on your phone. On play back listen out for anomalies. Most of the time they are clearly audible. Your best bet is asking how many souls are in the room with me now. I always get a number.

I've learned it doesn't matter what time of day, the state of the weather, or where you are, the spirits are around you and generally have nothing to do with the location.

Listening for EVPs is very much like learning a new language - you are training your hearing to listen through the white noise.

Good luck - remember, don't knock it until you've tried it. And nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The thing I always find interesting about EVPs is that people claim to get them on phones and cheap digital recorders, but I have yet to find anyone claiming to have recorded an EVP on high end audio equipment. Even on "ghost shows" when the team claims they've captured an EVP on their digital recorder, why didn't the sound guy with the $5,000 rig standing right next to them get anything?

Not to mention, there are tens of thousands of hours of live audio being taped around the world on a daily basis. If EVPs are "all around us" as you claim, why aren't we getting them all of the time? Seems to me if they were as common as you claim, then they would just be an accepted fact of life.

• Like 6

I couldn't hear one intelligible word in any of them

• Like 1

The thing I always find interesting about EVPs is that people claim to get them on phones and cheap digital recorders, but I have yet to find anyone claiming to have recorded an EVP on high end audio equipment. Even on "ghost shows" when the team claims they've captured an EVP on their digital recorder, why didn't the sound guy with the $5,000 rig standing right next to them get anything?

Not to mention, there are tens of thousands of hours of live audio being taped around the world on a daily basis. If EVPs are "all around us" as you claim, why aren't we getting them all of the time? Seems to me if they were as common as you claim, then they would just be an accepted fact of life.

The supernatural avoid high tech equipment, obviously the spirits are from a point in time in which such equipment wasn't available to them... duhhhh! /endsarcasm :nw:

• Like 3

The supernatural avoid high tech equipment, obviously the spirits are from a point in time in which such equipment wasn't available to them... duhhhh! /endsarcasm :nw:

We only speak into cheap $10 digital recorders purchased at Wal-Mart.

• Like 2

No clue what you are listening to but they are definitely not the EVPS I loaded.

https://soundcloud.c...f-1/evp/s-Fp5Kc

This is the link posted earlier in the thread.

To confirm, that is the clip I reviewed in post 19 of this thread as "clip 1 (top)"

Mary, what do you say the EVP is saying?

That EVPs are recorder specific is one of the things which validates the phenom as authentic, to anyone willing to hear it, that is.

Apparently whatever causes them to occur cannot be in two places at the same time. And this brings up a hugh point that many skeptics will not consider; that only one of multiple recorders in the same space will pick up a particular EVP proves they are not cases of the recorder capturing some stray RF signals. If they are stray rfs then all recorders present in an investigation would capture identical signals, but they don't.

Anyway, to finish up here, after finally reading the OP I find I disagree with what she calls the EVP, it sounds like a baby or birds, as stated above.

Additionally, it seems, (assuming they aren't hoaxed or off a TV, radio or some other source) she, (and others) are totally unaware of the [possible] actual 'EVPs', hidden in the clip. lol

That EVPs are recorder specific is one of the things which validates the phenom as authentic, to anyone willing to hear it, that is.

EVPs are "recorder specific" in a general sense or some of them have been shown to be? I admit I'm no expert but of all ones I've listened to and have been posted here, I'm not aware of anyone saying that they placed multiple recorders to record and only one of them picked up the EVP. For example. the OP says nothing of the sort.
Apparently whatever causes them to occur cannot be in two places at the same time. And this brings up a hugh point that many skeptics will not consider; that only one of multiple recorders in the same space will pick up a particular EVP proves they are not cases of the recorder capturing some stray RF signals. If they are stray rfs then all recorders present in an investigation would capture identical signals, but they don't.
I don't think it's stray RF signals. I think it's just more or less random background noise. Again, I'm not an expert on this, but can an audio recording device pick up radio frequency signals and record them as audio? Maybe it can, I'm curious to know.
Anyway, to finish up here, after finally reading the OP I find I disagree with what she calls the EVP, it sounds like a baby or birds, as stated above.
Additionally, it seems, (assuming they aren't hoaxed or off a TV, radio or some other source) she, (and others) are totally unaware of the [possible] actual 'EVPs', hidden in the clip. lol

Listen to an EVP enough times convinced that the phenomenon is real and you'll find something that vaguely has the sound shape of a human voice, your mind will fill in the gaps just like it does what some vaguely human shaped face on burnt toast is identified as Jesus. What really helps disprove the idea of EVPs is that every single time I've seen them posted on the Internet without the person who posted them saying what they think it is, people will post all sorts of contradictory opinions about what it says and when it says it. When you play a "clear" "class A" EVP to 10 people and they give you 10 different opinions, there's nothing "clear" about it surely.

What's need are actual controlled blind tests of EVP recordings to see how clear these "class A" and similar claimed EVPs actually are.

• Like 2

EVPs are "recorder specific" in a general sense or some of them have been shown to be?

No. Any recorder can pick up an EVP. "Recoder specific" meant that if two recorders are present and recording but only one picks up an EVP then IT was the specific recorder that captured it, not the other.

I admit I'm no expert but of all ones I've listened to and have been posted here, I'm not aware of anyone saying that they placed multiple recorders to record and only one of them picked up the EVP. For example. the OP says nothing of the sort.

I didn't say the OP did. I was responding to the post above mine by Rafterman.

I don't think it's stray RF signals. I think it's just more or less random background noise. Again, I'm not an expert on this, but can an audio recording device pick up radio frequency signals and record them as audio? Maybe it can, I'm curious to know.

I don't know either, all I know is that has been an explanation given for EVP by some skeptics. Ok, to be fair, they may have meant spirit boxes, but that still doesn't explain why if two recorders are recording why both doesn't always pick up an EVP. I've seen that happen before. Two recorders in the same room but only one gets a hit, the other, at the same timestamp, is blank.

Listen to an EVP enough times convinced that the phenomenon is real and you'll find something that vaguely has the sound shape of a human voice, your mind will fill in the gaps just like it does what some vaguely human shaped face on burnt toast is identified as Jesus. What really helps disprove the idea of EVPs is that every single time I've seen them posted on the Internet without the person who posted them saying what they think it is, people will post all sorts of contradictory opinions about what it says and when it says it. When you play a "clear" "class A" EVP to 10 people and they give you 10 different opinions, there's nothing "clear" about it surely.

Your opinion, thanks for sharing. Mine is; all the internet has to say and do about it doesn't reflect my opinion based on my experiences. That is all.

What's need are actual controlled blind tests of EVP recordings to see how clear these "class A" and similar claimed EVPs actually are.

Totally agree. I wish I had money to burn for getting the work done necessary to either prove or explain WTF is going on with this phenom once and for all.

We only speak into cheap $10 digital recorders purchased at Wal-Mart.

It's not such a far fetched idea to capture sounds on cheap equipment that you may not hear on 'high end' equipment (I'm wondering what the repliers here consider 'high end' recording equipment, by the way).

The better microphones have filtering to dissipate any sound that is not what is intended. No background noise would then = no EVP. It would have been filtered out, as (a layman's understanding on high end mics) the mic would be honed in on, or waiting for, a pronounced, direct source of sound.

It's not such a far fetched idea to capture sounds on cheap equipment that you may not hear on 'high end' equipment (I'm wondering what the repliers here consider 'high end' recording equipment, by the way).

The better microphones have filtering to dissipate any sound that is not what is intended. No background noise would then = no EVP. It would have been filtered out, as (a layman's understanding on high end mics) the mic would be honed in on, or waiting for, a pronounced, direct source of sound.

TASCAM DR-40 is what i consider high end.

• Like 1

So basically when you filter out all of the anomalous crap, then the EVPs disappear. In my opinion, that's the nail in the coffin for EVPs.

• Like 1

So basically when you filter out all of the anomalous crap, then the EVPs disappear. In my opinion, that's the nail in the coffin for EVPs.

That sound is there. Those sounds exist, and are being filtered. You can call the sounds you hear in recorders 'anomalous crap', but it still is real sound, that some recorders filter out. Have you ever heard a recording of someone speaking normally, then filtered? Some things are lost in the filter. Sounds usually considered undesirable, but they're there nonetheless.

It's reasonable to debate the translation of various background noises as voices from the dead, but to say that it's a nail in the coffin to the existence of EVP's just because some recorders filter out any background noise isn't near as objectively fair.

Edited by _Only

Frankly, that sounds like an explanation of convenience to me. There's certainly nothing scientific that would back up that statement.

As far as I'm concerned, it's more a case of cheap ass electronics picking up anomalous crap and then being interpreted by someone predisposed to hearing EVPs. It reminds me of all of the "ghost" photos that we see around here that were taken in total darkness with camera phones. Funny you don't see such "ghosts" when you use a decent camera.

That sound is there. Those sounds exist, and are being filtered. You can call the sounds you hear in recorders 'anomalous crap', but it still is real sound, that some recorders filter out. Have you ever heard a recording of someone speaking normally, then filtered? Some things are lost in the filter. Sounds usually considered undesirable, but they're there nonetheless.

It's reasonable to debate the translation of various background noises as voices from the dead, but to say that it's a nail in the coffin to the existence of EVP's just because some recorders filter out any background noise isn't near as objectively fair.

Well sure the sounds are there - just like the whole backwards masking thing with rock music - but to call them EVPs or say they are spirits, demons, whatever is ridiculous.

Here's an interesting write up by a sound engineer on the topic:

http://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/thought-from-a-sound-engineer-on-evp.6057/

Edited by Rafterman

any

No. Any recorder can pick up an EVP. "Recoder specific" meant that if two recorders are present and recording but only one picks up an EVP then IT was the specific recorder that captured it, not the other.

And when and how often do these "recorder specific" EVPs actually happen? Do you have examples of these recordings that have been verified to have been recorded from multiple locations but only picked up on a single recorder?

Sounds like a lot of copnjecture without factual backup.

The birds are Hadedas (I'm in South Africa) there is a vacuum cleaner going in the background and at approx 5 second mark ;on the one labelled EVP) you hear Big Brother, the rest is faint but I was able to hear more when I recorded playback into my iPad. (Big brother/Pete, cancer, 1995, Costa Rica,/ whose Derrick,/ hamburger./ help/ him - then at end there is a snapping sound). The only reason I loaded this clip or even bothered trying to share it on this site is it is a Class A voice. Why no one else can hear it is so baffling. You don't even need to put speaker to your ear to hear Big Brother. At time of recording everyone I let listen to it also picked up the Big Brother at beginning. I don't have any editing software to clean up white noise. The only thing I can suggest is try it for yourself with whatever device you have. I don't lie, I'm not into leading people on, I just have an extreme fascination with EVPs as I have so many. This has nothing to do with having a vivid imagination as I always get a second opinion before telling anyone what I believe it to be saying.

You know what I discovered just now, if playing sound cloud from iPad, playing the EVP labelled EVP , walk several feet away from the iPad and you will hear the voices clearly. It actually starts at the 4 second mark and not 5 as stated above.

I don't have any editing software to clean up white noise.

Audacity is a good program, pretty easy to use, and a free download.

Here's an example of it in use (including filtering out of white noise), and comparison at the end, playing the raw recording:

(I recorded this on a phone during a night time 'paranormal investigation' on the USS Hornet, part of an all day paranormal conference on the ship)

Note that the filtering was able to significantly reduce background noise, yet the 'voice' was still quite pronounced, in whisper form.

I made another, if anyone's into these. This video has the most interesting one of the few sounds I caught in it. It has some sort of sound that sounds like 4 words spoken. It's not just a quick blip; it's like 1 and a half seconds of something that sounds like someone whispering something:

[media=]

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

Both are brilliant. I hear No clearly in the first and Hey and then a couple of words in a whisper. At least you've captured your own EVPs. The other morning when I really didn't feel like getting out of bed (which really never happens, I'm a morning person) I asked if anyone had any wise words for me, the EVP says, "hey, stand up". I've loaded it on sound cloud _Only, do u have an iPad ? If you do check out the recordings I've uploaded on sound cloud at a distance of a couple feet In a quiet room and the voices should be clearly audible.

The birds are Hadedas (I'm in South Africa) there is a vacuum cleaner going in the background and at approx 5 second mark ;on the one labelled EVP) you hear Big Brother, the rest is faint but I was able to hear more when I recorded playback into my iPad. (Big brother/Pete, cancer, 1995, Costa Rica,/ whose Derrick,/ hamburger./ help/ him - then at end there is a snapping sound). The only reason I loaded this clip or even bothered trying to share it on this site is it is a Class A voice. Why no one else can hear it is so baffling. You don't even need to put speaker to your ear to hear Big Brother. At time of recording everyone I let listen to it also picked up the Big Brother at beginning. I don't have any editing software to clean up white noise. The only thing I can suggest is try it for yourself with whatever device you have. I don't lie, I'm not into leading people on, I just have an extreme fascination with EVPs as I have so many. This has nothing to do with having a vivid imagination as I always get a second opinion before telling anyone what I believe it to be saying.

Hi Mary. I believe you. I am addicted to EVPs lol

Can you please tell me exactly what was said and picked up from Big Brother, just to help me filter that out of my examinations.

You know what I discovered just now, if playing sound cloud from iPad, playing the EVP labelled EVP , walk several feet away from the iPad and you will hear the voices clearly. It actually starts at the 4 second mark and not 5 as stated above.

I do hear that noise @ :04 , but I am unable to distinguish it saying anything. Did you ever hear the things I stated I heard, back in post 19? I may have to get a sound cloud account myself, then I could better emphasize what I hear on these clips

Both are brilliant. I hear No clearly in the first and Hey and then a couple of words in a whisper. At least you've captured your own EVPs. The other morning when I really didn't feel like getting out of bed (which really never happens, I'm a morning person) I asked if anyone had any wise words for me, the EVP says, "hey, stand up". I've loaded it on sound cloud _Only, do u have an iPad ? If you do check out the recordings I've uploaded on sound cloud at a distance of a couple feet In a quiet room and the voices should be clearly audible.

Yep, the 'no' is clear. And the sentence in the second clip is challenging me to decipher it! lol

I see you've been busy, adding more clips. I'll check them out...

Hi AZDZ in the clip labelled EVP - says BigBrother, Pete, cancer, 1995, Costa Rica, whose Derrick, Hamburger, help, him all different voices. Pete to Costa Rica is same voice. I will recheck your clip.

Yesterday at around 5 I did an EVP in bed and I only heard Hey, hey. Then in my room someone tapped my orbital machine. I said aloud, I don't mind you making noise into my phone, but pls not in my room, it freaks me out. I re-listened to EVP and at the very beginning it's says don't eat. They r obviously making me stick to my word. I told my husband was going to workout everyday and eat healthy whilst he is working in Brazil, but haven't oops.

Hi _Only, I've downloaded Audacity, holy crap I can't even figure out how to get the clip format changed from mp4 to WAV. So I just renamed it and dragged it in, but it just sounds like white noise. Far too many different setting for me to figure out. My husband is an editor, but is away working at WorldCup. I'll get him to show me when he gets home. I tried asking one of his colleagues who is a sound engineer and he never even heard of an EVP before. Either he thinks I'm nuts or I scared him to death as he hasn't responded to the clip I sent him. Any quick cheats for audacity?

• Like 1