Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The US and the many Conspiracy Theories

Jilliman

Why is there such a distrust in the government that we have come up with so many conspiracy theories?

We think the government is hiding things from us. I'm sure you all have watched at least one program on Area 51 with a former FBI agent, face blacked out and voice obscured, who claims to know what really happened there.

We've heard people claim that Fort Knox is empty. That we are broke. We've heard claims that sacred artifacts, such as the holy grail lie hidden in its walls.

We all know the conspiracy theories surrounding the JFK assassination.

More recently, we have conspiracy theories on the Sandy Hook shooting and almost any other tragedy that's happened. Some even say the US has MH370.

We even have the infamous "9/11 was an inside job".

What makes us so distrusting of our own government?

Is it because they have been exposed before? Is it these "former agents" who anonymously tell all?

And then, why would the government hide things from us? To stop mass panic (Area 51)? For a greater political agenda that we'd oppose (take your pic of which CT here)? Fear of a revolution? Or is it simply just another way to control us?

Just interested in your thoughts on this. I believe a few of the mentioned theories to be at least partially true.

Why do we believe in CTs? And why, if they're true, would the government hide them from us?

• Like 1

CT's are 'sexier' than mundane explanations. Also, folks enjoy being scared.

• Like 9

People mistrust the government because of its actions over many years with widespread mendacity. Probably before the controversy regarding the USS Maine in Havana harbor.

Reynolds v. U.S. in 1953

Gulf Of Tonkin incident

Pat Tillman incident. Abbottabad incident.

And on and on and on, like a perverse version of the Energizer Bunny.

People mistrust the government because it has been caught lying so many times.

911, Sandy Hook, most likely the Boston Marathon incident.

• Like 6

Because people are stupid, they see something they don't understand so they jump to conclusions.

• Like 5

It's strange that people who are so distrusting of government don't ever seem very keen to move somewhere that effectively doesn't have one, like DR Congo or Somalia.

• Like 2

For people like me that know the US government will lie to enjoy moving its lips, truth seekers can only inspect and, occasionally, rely on CT beliefs. That's bad, I suppose, but certainly better than to listen to some blowhard politician

Show us the truth and prove its the truth and there won't be a need to look elsewhere for the truth

• Like 6

Show us the truth and prove its the truth and there won't be a need to look elsewhere for the truth

I'd like to think that this is all that is required to move on.

However, this isn't a perfect world.

Moon Landing Hoax Believers are a great example of people who can't rely on mountains of evidence of proof of the event so many years after the fact.

• Like 5

Governments aren't great at keeping secrets,witness Watergate,a fake mass shooting could never be hidden nor a bombing like Boston caught on live TV,the internet has just give the cranks a bigger forum to push their paranoia

• Like 8

CT's are 'sexier' than mundane explanations. Also, folks enjoy being scared.

Agreed. I never put to much stock in them, but they are fun, like an alternate history novel.

• Like 1

Why is there such a distrust in the government that we have come up with so many conspiracy theories?

We think the government is hiding things from us. I'm sure you all have watched at least one program on Area 51 with a former FBI agent, face blacked out and voice obscured, who claims to know what really happened there.

We've heard people claim that Fort Knox is empty. That we are broke. We've heard claims that sacred artifacts, such as the holy grail lie hidden in its walls.

We all know the conspiracy theories surrounding the JFK assassination.

More recently, we have conspiracy theories on the Sandy Hook shooting and almost any other tragedy that's happened. Some even say the US has MH370.

We even have the infamous "9/11 was an inside job".

What makes us so distrusting of our own government?

Is it because they have been exposed before? Is it these "former agents" who anonymously tell all?

And then, why would the government hide things from us? To stop mass panic (Area 51)? For a greater political agenda that we'd oppose (take your pic of which CT here)? Fear of a revolution? Or is it simply just another way to control us?

Just interested in your thoughts on this. I believe a few of the mentioned theories to be at least partially true.

Why do we believe in CTs? And why, if they're true, would the government hide them from us?

Not that I agree with any of the CT's themselves, however I believe that people find it so easy to see these theories as plausible due to the fact that politicians don't neccesarily have the best track record for being honest. Couple that with a wild imagination and wham! CT in the making.

• Like 1

dr no, you should also mention 911 which was mostly on TV. Skeptics can see amazing things.

With that said, I still do believe that *some* CT's were created with valid reason because it is not easy to swallow the lies of government sometimes. That does not mean the CT version of 'things' is correct either, but... just saying.

case in point: UFO's. I have heard some of the most lame-brain explanations from the government for these sightings and I just *know* they are lying.

They have explained off mass sightings with such alibis as; people had a mass hallucination, or they all saw swamp gas, or the object the the US army fired at (1943) with 1400 rounds of anti-aircraft shells weighing 14 lbs apiece was a tethering balloon. Of course, the 'balloon' turned around and got away! (see- battle of LA)

So it's frustrating not knowing the reality

• Like 5

Because individualism is the mindset in America, and everybody loves to be the hero in there life story. Combine this with the fact that the country was founded on rebellion, and you have a nice recipe for conspiracy theory. Also, I've found that by putting blame for awful events on a certain "elite" (be it reptilian aliens or cultist politicians) you gain the satisfaction of outsmarting them, and by outsmarting them you gain some semblance of control, which may be comforting to some. This clashes a bit with my worldview: In that countless unforeseen factors play into any given event, and that these factors can not be controlled by any individual, or any reasonably sized group, and that the world is ultimately rudderless. History has shown this time and again as countless empires and nations have been reduced to rubble despite the careful planning of their leaders: Rome, the Empire of Genghis Khan, the Empire of Alexander, the British Empire, and I know the United States will follow suit in a few centuries at most.

Of course it also doesn't help that many conspiracy theorist seem to be under the impression that only politicians are capable of mischievous deeds, and will gladly be strung along by any random schmo with a YouTube channel and a theory that sounds pleasant. As I say: A sheep of a different shepard is still a sheep.

• Like 6

I think one of the major reasons for US based CTs is the fact that so many American agencies operate under a cloud of secrecy, and it's been shown in the past that even the US government doesn';t know what some of its agencies are doing.

Combine the secrecy with downright lies and you have the ideal and fertile ground for Conspiracy Theories.

And just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not after you.

• Like 8

As a Canadian, we live in the US's backyard (culturally and economically), but we're also their closest cousin's and neighbours. We have the largest trade relationship between any two nations on Earth as well as the longest undefended border. Heck, I'm 1/4 American (Oregonian).

But I'm often amazed that, since we are so similar, there are no good Canadian conspiracy theories. Canadian conspiracy theorists have to go next door and borrow it like a cup of sugar.

• Like 9

Because people are stupid, they see something they don't understand so they jump to conclusions.

One conclusion is that we can trust the government and the media. Now, *that's* stupid! ;) I invite anybody to acquaint themselves with Operation Northwoods if they always jerk their knee and reflexively dismiss all conspiracy theories without objectively examining *any* of them. Then, check out the overthrow of Mossadegh (the nemesis of spell-checkers).

• Like 3

1. because the government gives us alot of reasons for distrust. There are alot of conspiracies that arent theories but proven, they don't get talked about as much do to the fact its not fun to argue about a conspiracy once it is proven. for a example just look up operation northwoods

2. because its more comforting to think that its some conspiracy of elite rich evil people in a dark room smoking cigars drinking brandy then it is to think something is caused by everyday people. because if something is caused by everyday people then after all that means we are all capable of horrible things, because we are everyday people :innocent:

3. because some people find it entertaining i suspect.

That's a fair and honest reply. Not to sound like a broken record, but, like the paranormal, it's best to avoid the all-or-nothing mind trap. Some conspiracy theories are based on conspiracy facts while others are complete nonsense. Just go where the evidence (not the agenda) takes you.

• Like 5

I think one of the major reasons for US based CTs is the fact that so many American agencies operate under a cloud of secrecy, and it's been shown in the past that even the US government doesn';t know what some of its agencies are doing.

Combine the secrecy with downright lies and you have the ideal and fertile ground for Conspiracy Theories.

And just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not after you.

Toyo, nice to meet you. :)

But, there isn't a good-sized government on Earth that doesn't have agencies that exist in a cloud of secrecy, as well as populaces that have been lied to more than the US citizenry.

As someone has already said, "It's the Internet." I'll just add. "...because the US is still, very much, an economic and cultural force."

Afterthought:

A crackpot in North Korea with a sign on a street gets arrested and thrown in jail, hence no one hears from him.

A crackpot in the US on the internet gets his rights defended as well as his 15 minutes of fame

As a Canadian, we live in the US's backyard (culturally and economically), but we're also their closest cousin's and neighbours. We have the largest trade relationship between any two nations on Earth as well as the longest undefended border. Heck, I'm 1/4 American (Oregonian).

But I'm often amazed that, since we are so similar, there are no good Canadian conspiracy theories. Canadian conspiracy theorists have to go next door and borrow it like a cup of sugar.

I know how you feel there aren't a great deal in the UK either .We need to import more paranoid people to our shores!

• Like 1

I know how you feel there aren't a great deal in the UK either .We need to import more paranoid people to our shores!

N.B.: The preceeding statement was offered in a tounge & cheek manner. If you were offended, you should avail yourself to the nearest First Aid, because your funny bone is broken.

• Like 1

:lol: I know...

It's funny people say we in the US think we are the center of the universe. The vast majority of the news I see from around the world focuses on us and it wouldn't be my choice. It's kind of like being the red headed stepchild. lol

• Like 1

:lol: I know...

It's funny people say we in the US think we are the center of the universe. The vast majority of the news I see from around the world focuses on us and it wouldn't be my choice. It's kind of like being the red headed stepchild. lol

Yes, the 'red headed stepchild' never wants to be the centre of attention, because the attention is often negative.

Edit: stupid fingers.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

it's perfectly right & proper to distrust government, as a rule they really don't care about the average person, because the long term interests of the nation and the economy are seen as of overriding importance, and the concerns of the average person in the street really don't matter, but the other overwhelming reason not to trust government really contradicts the theory behind the conspiracy industry; their overwhelming incompetence at everything they do, in everything from local government to planning military intervention in other countries, and these conspiracy theories depend on government being so super-efficient and omnipotent that they can not only plan these enormous plots, but carry them out flawlessly the first time they ever try them. I think that's the main reason why I tend to go " :hmm:" about most Conspiracy theories, not because I don't believe that Government wouldn't do them if they believed it was in their long term interests or it followed some plan for economic, political or military hegemony, but because I really doubt their ability to plan and execute them so efficiently.

• Like 2

Hmm...lots of interesting answers here. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I think it boils down to partial distrust in the government and partial boredom (the real answer isn't satisfying enough). I'm sure there are some CTs that hold truth but they are far and few. We do have reason not to trust our government. It's a shame they can't tell us everything. We have a right to know what they're doing with the money our taxes provide them with.