Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do street light turn off when I am around

Srb54vv

This has been happening to me for like the last 6-7 years tonight for example I was riding my bike and almost all the street light I rode under turned off. I asked my friends and family if this happens to them or if they have ever seen a street light turn off around them they said no. Is this a bad thing a good thing is something following me. It freaks me out and how come it's only street lights not lights in doors.

• Like 2

Weird, should be easy to catch on camera next time your out though. Please upload to youtube and post link here. Thanks!! Get a close up of one of the street lamps so I can find out the manufacturer, I wonder if your bike movement and what you are wearing is creating some sort of static electrical charge and is in someway effecting them?

• Like 1

You're obviously possessed. Ask your parents to arrange an exorcism for you. Good luck!

(meantime... get the bus)

• Like 3

This has been happening to me for like the last 6-7 years tonight for example I was riding my bike and almost all the street light I rode under turned off. I asked my friends and family if this happens to them or if they have ever seen a street light turn off around them they said no. Is this a bad thing a good thing is something following me. It freaks me out and how come it's only street lights not lights in doors.

Maybe you travel around too much at the break of dawn.
  • Like 3

I heard about this phenomenon a few years back. People who have this effect call themselves 'sliders' which is an acronym of some sort. The scientific explanation is that the streetlights are always going out but some people notice it and others don't

• Like 4

I don`t believe such fairy tales. BS.

• Like 1

Covered several times here before - here's my theory (again)...

This is something I've actually put a bit of thought into (yes, bored..).. I believe it's nothing magic - just a series of facts that cause us to be aware of faulty street lights ONLY when we are near them. By their nature many types of street lights (esp sodium vapour I believe - corrections welcome) as they age will run for a while, then overheat and turn off. Then after they cool, they turn back on and repeat the cycle. I've watched one do it - the cycle took about 15 minutes..

Now THINK about that. First, it's common (I can prove that - there are at least two of them within walking distance from me, and I'll video them if necessary...).

Second, when you are out walking or driving, you are continually seeing myriads of street lights, some close but most distant. And as you move, the distant ones frequently get obscured by things and then reappear, so your mind doesn't even bother noticing that - why should it? You are used to streetlamps *at a distance* apparently going on and off. But what happens when you are very close..? - suddenly you actually see them going off (or on) as they are in your direct field of view and of course the illumination in the area changes noticeably. That doesn't happen when they are away from you...

So..

1. Street lights that go on and off are quite common.

2. You will only notice that happening when you are very close to them.

It seems to me that if you put 1and 2 together and add in a little imagination and a desire to believe that you can affect them.. it's little wonder there are such reports..

I strongly suspect that if the 'observers' of this phenomenom took the time to investigate, eg hang around the light and see what happens over a half hour or so.. you will find out it wasn't your presence. But who wants to do that? Much more fun to believe you have .. the power!!

For anyone who seriously believes they cause it, how's about documenting it via a video showing the behavior of the light when you are near it, and then when you back away a hundred meters or so..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I get what you saying but my girlfriend flat out asked me "what's up with you and street lights" that's how I found out its weird, up until that point I though everyone had street light go off around them.

I get what you saying but my girlfriend flat out asked me "what's up with you and street lights" that's how I found out its weird, up until that point I though everyone had street light go off around them.

This happened to me a lot back in Arizona. before best buy terminated me (i was one of the 3k employees that was let go from the company) i use to ride to work on my bicycle at 4am (i did inventory counts and my work was 20mins away). If i timed it right i could almost ride to work under a blanket of darkness since the street lights.

The explanation that ChrLzs said is logical. It's like people who get talk about seeing certain number every where. Once are you aware of something you will notice it more often.

Here is a wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

• Like 2

If i timed it right i could almost ride to work under a blanket of darkness since the street lights were timed to shut off at that time.

sorry, corrected it

That is strange if it only happens to you. All I know is that some facilities have sensors on their lights and some lights

will go out to conserve electricity but once someone enters that area then the sensors pick up motion and the lights

come on. Seems to be an opposite affect with you. PS: Kicking the pole will sometimes make it go out.

Edited by Hawkin

This phenomenon tends to strengthen prejudices. If you expect a certain group to behave a certain way, you notice it when they do and don't when they don't.

it happens to me too. (And some of my friends).

Me too. In fits and starts. Sometimes I'll be driving by [doesn't matter what type of car I'm in] and so many of them will go off and on again that I find myself saying "really?!" There was another thread about this here I think.

Barnum effect and/or timing of when you're out would seem to be the best bet.

As for your girlfriend noticing also, I'd add that she wants to buy into your theory because she presumably wants to be in on the thing you're in on

There is a street light with a weak battery. It comes on red but whenever I walk under it the light completely goes off. Sometimes that street light flickers and turns back on if I walk under it. It must be magnetic.

I've had experiences where/when streetlamps have turned themselves off as I walked by them -this would have been between midnight & 3 am when I was walking back home from a friends house as a teen in the summer time down the street where the town park/playground is located... there's an older cemetery right next to the park (there's a chain link fence that separates the two) and a newer cemetery across the street and to the right of the park...

It's something I that used to freak me out especially when I was walking home alone but eventually I more or less got used to the nighttime oddities by the park and got better at speed walking at night, lol. I would add, I would only walk through the park (it was a shortcut to my house) when it was fully light by moonlight, I refused to go into it when it wasn't- too many weird noises and 'things' that lurked at the corner of your eye but was never there when you looked directly where you thought it was. The park in the daytime is completely normal in case your wondering, as kids we would use the older cemetery as a shortcut to Main St.

Just curious.. to those who have posted and either not read the earlier posts, or chosen to ignore my post here where I explain:

- why you will only notice a street lamp going on /off when you are right near it

- that 'cycling' street lamps are quite common as they age and begin to fail - the lamp will light for a short while, then turn off, then relight and so on

May I ask you:

- do you dispute that logic? in what way?

- if not, do you accept that this probably isn't a phenomena affected by you, and that you simply happened to be next to one of these failing lights at the right time?

Finally, if you still think it is you, is there a reason why you wouldn't bother to test your theory (eg, hang around one of these lights for 15 minutes or so to see if it keeps cycling while you are there?). After all, surely if the effect is real, then it is worth proving/documenting and then *using*....

• Like 3

Just curious.. to those who have posted and either not read the earlier posts, or chosen to ignore my post here where I explain:

It is simple, They dreaming of being "Light-Switch-Man" able to turn off a light with a clap of their hand. With this extraordinary power comes great power bills!

clapper2.JPG

• Like 2

Some streetlights are on a timer to save electricity. They flicker on and off in a staggered pattern, usually around the time when there's more natural light, or when there aren't many people using the area. Not every area have this, I find it to be common in newer developments and in the suburbs. In urban areas they're on usually all the time. They do this as well when the bulbs are dying.