Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars One seeks experiments for 2018 mission

UM-Bot

The non-profit organization is now accepting proposals for scientific payloads that it can send to mars.

With its controversial plan to send humans to live on Mars in the not-too-distant future, the Netherlands-based Mars One has been raising more than a few eyebrows of late with critics arguing that the technology and resources available simply aren't sufficient for it to make good on its promises.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...or-2018-mission

The most basic one I can think of is taking Martian soil, adding water and see if plants will germinate and grow. Any colony is likely far into the future, but we can't shuttle all our food back and forth to Mars; growing some of it will be essential at some point. If the plants do grow, then the next experiment should be to analyze them for nutrient uptake and nutritional value, because many component elements necessary for human nutritions may be sorely lacking on Mars. I have the feeling that growing crops will be a long uphill battle since there are no organics in the soil (i.e like compost on Earth) so you would be working with a purely mineral based soil.

Let me get out my check list, 1)My super fine wife 2) Cable TV Hi Def 3)Two lazy boy delux recliners 4)Two year supply of Coca-Cola and comfort foods 5)Guns and Ammo(U never know!)6) A little somethin fer me Nerves.

Let me get out my check list, 1)My super fine wife 2) Cable TV Hi Def 3)Two lazy boy delux recliners 4)Two year supply of Coca-Cola and comfort foods 5)Guns and Ammo(U never know!)6) A little somethin fer me Nerves.

Wonderful, but what exactly does this have to do with experiments for an unmanned mission to Mars?

Wonderful, but what exactly does this have to do with experiments for an unmanned mission to Mars?

Bas Lansdorp. "We're not only looking for scientific proposals but also for outreach or educational ones."

This would be my list of items to send in advance, for me to successfully thrive on the red planet. He said there not just looking for scientific stuff. I know, sorry, this is serious, my bad.

The most basic one I can think of is taking Martian soil, adding water and see if plants will germinate and grow. Any colony is likely far into the future, but we can't shuttle all our food back and forth to Mars; growing some of it will be essential at some point. If the plants do grow, then the next experiment should be to analyze them for nutrient uptake and nutritional value, because many component elements necessary for human nutritions may be sorely lacking on Mars. I have the feeling that growing crops will be a long uphill battle since there are no organics in the soil (i.e like compost on Earth) so you would be working with a purely mineral based soil.

I'm sure any scientific study will include the evaluation of fertiziers, either brought on the trip or produced on site. (If you know what I mean!) :rofl:

These Mars One threads are not drawing the comments they used too. I wonder if this is a reflection of peoples interest in the project or the likelihood of it succeeding.

• Like 2

These Mars One threads are not drawing the comments they used too. I wonder if this is a reflection of peoples interest in the project or the likelihood of it succeeding.

Well all we get is claims and timelines yet were is the action? The timeline they have given themselves is very ambitious and if it is to succeed they really need to show some action.

I want to know how they going to get a Rocket, command vehicle and lander designed, tested and built to get people on Mars in the timescale. Can't wait until we get those details.

Then you have the environment suites, habitation, whether Mars is even capable of growing crops on in they scale they will be needed.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 2

Well all we get is claims and timelines yet were is the action? The timeline they have given themselves is very ambitious and if it is to succeed they really need to show some action.

I want to know how they going to get a Rocket, command vehicle and lander designed, tested and built to get people on Mars in the timescale. Can't wait until we get those details.

Then you have the environment suites, habitation, whether Mars is even capable of growing crops on in they scale they will be needed.

The project is ambitious regardless of timeline before factoring in all that you mention, but timelines are a lot easier to create than missions to Mars.

If successful the knock on effects would be inspiring. I just can't shake the feeling that this is a media stunt that will never get off the ground, literally. Either way I get the feeling someone will be making a profit.

• Like 1

The project is ambitious regardless of timeline before factoring in all that you mention, but timelines are a lot easier to create than missions to Mars.

If successful the knock on effects would be inspiring. I just can't shake the feeling that this is a media stunt that will never get off the ground, literally. Either way I get the feeling someone will be making a profit.

It sounds like a media stunt to me but who knows. If successful I think it will really open the gates for commercial space exploration and colonization for the future. Problem is if it is all a hoax then it may impede people trying to get investment in the future.

• Like 3

Experiments? What a waste of time.

Just plant flags and start fighting over who gets what.

Problem is if it is all a hoax then it may impede people trying to get investment in the future.

As well as crushing the dreams of those who have signed up and others who have put time and effort into the project.

• Like 1

I certainly hope it is not a hoax and I hope I get to see some sort of implementation in my lifetime.

you'll see my attention once it actually happens. 4 years is a long way off

• Like 1

"non-profit organization"???? I missed this one.

How could a non-profit organization, tackle the biggest (and most costly) challenge of the century (or maybe the next) without investors???

How they will raise the money?

That is a joke, right!

Schizo

How could a non-profit organization, tackle the biggest (and most costly) challenge of the century (or maybe the next)

without investors???

http://www.mars-one.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit_organization

How could a non-profit organization, tackle the biggest (and most costly) challenge of the century (or maybe the next) without investors???

That is a joke, right!

Schizo

You don't seem to understand the concept of "not for profit".

It doesn't mean they can't raise money. It doesn't mean that they can't be funded. It doesn't mean they can't have investors.

What it does mean is exactly what it says... they can't make a profit. All funds have to be ploughed back into the project.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

Plenty of non-profit/charities that have highly paid executives and CEO's.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some people come out of this better off than they were before the project if it is wound up.

• Like 2

Here is an experiment for you Mars One...take me and my dog away from this human infested planet. Come one, it would border line comedy, not to mention viable to the evolution to mankind...maybe.

Earth years or martian years.

You don't seem to understand the concept of "not for profit".

It doesn't mean they can't raise money. It doesn't mean that they can't be funded. It doesn't mean they can't have investors.

What it does mean is exactly what it says... they can't make a profit. All funds have to be ploughed back into the project.

Not really true. Non-profits need to make a small profit to stay in business or at least that is what my bookkeeping teacher said.

Not really true. Non-profits need to make a small profit to stay in business or at least that is what my bookkeeping teacher said.

These sort of outfits are all about providing a nice executive income and expense accounts for the people running them for as long as they can get away with... not their actual stated goal.

Their core business is pulling in "investment" money, not working on a manned Mars mission. They think this will provide them a comfortable income for years and years. It's called an 'other people's money scam.' They will live well until the "investment" money dries up... and then move on to the next hair-brained scheme, just like Bas Lansdorp did with his last project:

[media=]

[/media]

Does anyone here think this is a practical way to generate electricity? They're all about securing funding, just like Mars One they're getting themselves some cash to enjoy, just take a look at the news page on their website:

http://www.ampyxpower.com/News.html

I feel sorry for the gullible fools that have set their hearts on this Mars One nonsense.

Edited by Occams Razor