Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Windows software - when should I recycle?

little_dreamer

I have been using Windows since the 1990's. In the meantime, I have managed to acquire a lot of Windows CD-ROM software, especially from friends and family.

Now I noticed that Windows 8 won't run a lot of these, even if an earlier compatibility mode is set.

Is there a general rule regarding when these programs should be gotten rid of? There is a business nearby that will recycle the CD-ROMs.

There is no general rule, just a general trick: have a copy of an older OS and use your old software there. I still have a CP/M system, a OS2 system, a MSDOS system and a Windows 98 system (That has only one real use, my Cakewalk composing program).

If your old software is still useful keep it, if not those CDs make a hell of a mobile to hang on the ceiling.

• Like 3

There is no general rule, just a general trick: have a copy of an older OS and use your old software there. I still have a CP/M system, a OS2 system, a MSDOS system and a Windows 98 system (That has only one real use, my Cakewalk composing program).

If your old software is still useful keep it, if not those CDs make a hell of a mobile to hang on the ceiling.

Wow - OS/2 - I haven't seen that since the 90's. They used it at one job I had but I didn't get to work with it too much. When I was a kid we had the old Radio Shack TRS80 MS-DOS computers in school.

• Like 1

I have been using Windows since the 1990's. In the meantime, I have managed to acquire a lot of Windows CD-ROM software, especially from friends and family.

Now I noticed that Windows 8 won't run a lot of these, even if an earlier compatibility mode is set.

Is there a general rule regarding when these programs should be gotten rid of? There is a business nearby that will recycle the CD-ROMs.

Noooo, never get rid of them! I still have an old cd case with tons of older windows games/programs including my original redneck rampage cd :w00t: They're relics! keep them even if they don't work.

Edited by CuriousRey
  • Like 2

Noooo, never get rid of them! I still have an old cd case with tons of older windows games/programs including my original redneck rampage cd :w00t: They're relics! keep them even if they don't work.

Too late, I already got rid of some of them. No resale value online on eBay. :innocent:

• Like 1

Too late, I already got rid of some of them. No resale value online on eBay. :innocent:

Aww shucks, I tried. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Our neighbors just gave us a bunch of children's books that their kids had outgrown and in the bag was an UNOPENED copy of Windows 95 - complete with a free 30-day AOL coupon.

• Like 2

Sell them rather than throw them. Some people (myself included) got addicted to certain games on PC that cannot be played on newer machines/OS's

Having backup software for one of those older machines is worth $ to some people.

For the love of god hang onto them, the way operating systems are going you might want to format the harddrive and install good old XP :tu:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still have a lot of my old floppy discs. I like them better then USBs because i don't lose them all the ******* time. When i need them......

I still have a lot of my old floppy discs. I like them better then USBs because i don't lose them all the ******* time. When i need them......

Those old floppy discs only hold 1.44 mb. They would not be of much use to me. Many pics are more than that.

• Like 1

I got rid of some but kept a few favorite games and software. Got rid of old things like Corel Draw from 1996, since there are probably better free alternatives today.

Most of these still work on Windows Vista and 7, so there were some major structure changes going to Windows 8.

I converted all my floppy disks to CD-ROM, but I still keep an old floppy drive. Someone, somewhere might need a file saved.

Edited by little_dreamer

• 8 months later...

There is still people out there that are still using old computers. What you can do is if you want to get rid of them and keep them out of the landfill put them on the Freecycle. I'm sure people there would want your old computer cds.

Also if your not crafty, like I am. I can make them into CD crocheted baskets :)